If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

idling fire

HSC
I've heard about 1000 times (from 2 sources only) that if you get 80% for 4u maths it gives you an automatic 100% for 2unit... Is that right or plain bull....?

People think I should be doing 4u since I'm in top 5 for 3u at school... but I'd rather have my 2u marks counted for UAI than some useless 4u mark that I'd get.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
No, if you do the extension 2 HSC exam, then nothing from the 2 unit course would count towards your HSC and UAI. Nothing would count from the 2 unit course, and your extension 1 and 2 units of maths will count for 2 unit each.

fadilla.tombe

HSC
Hi guys i was just. wanted to share with you my situation in mathmatics.
i start doing advance mah in year 10,it was not really very hard but because english problem. When i comence year 11 i chose Extention math it was really very hard. anyway one term later i drop it. at the end of the year i got band 1. my teacher advice me to do general math. now i am doing it. obviousl it is great but i had aproblem with financial math.

P

pLuvia

fadilla.tombe said:
Hi guys i was just. wanted to share with you my situation in mathmatics.
i start doing advance mah in year 10,it was not really very hard but because english problem. When i comence year 11 i chose Extention math it was really very hard. anyway one term later i drop it. at the end of the year i got band 1. my teacher advice me to do general math. now i am doing it. obviousl it is great but i had aproblem with financial math.
And?

haque

HSC
wrong forum i think-share ur insights anyway(i've done similar things myself lol):rofl:

idling fire

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
No, if you do the extension 2 HSC exam, then nothing from the 2 unit course would count towards your HSC and UAI. Nothing would count from the 2 unit course, and your extension 1 and 2 units of maths will count for 2 unit each.
Okay, that's what I would have thought too (had I not listened to one of the greatest bull-talkers of the century lol).
Thanks.

*emi*

HSC
that is a LOT of people doing 4u
there were 4 at my school
(out of 150-ish girls in my grade)
i did it but dropped it haha - not because it was too hard (surprisingly) just too much work as 13th unit, and the early mornings were KILLING me...

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
At our school, we have approximately 40-50 people doing it which is about one class less than the 06 4Unit cohort.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What school is that?

We would have had 40+ students if there weren't so many drop outs that sent numbers tumbling down to a grand total of 38 students....lol a lot less than previous years. I'd imagine there would be even smaller numbers for the class of 07.
For 06, I think in James Ruse they had like 80-90 students (or approximately 50% of total cohort). NSBHS, STHS and SGS each had somehwere about 50-70 students. SBHS lets way too many people in, at about 60% of whole cohort or about 120 students (as mentioned above).

mat2154

HSC
At sbhs our results at math are quite good, probably because everyone in my class does maths coaching. However i still manage to rank 39 without coaching, which isn't too bad.

IceOnFire

HSC
Currently my problem is that I get the general concepts, but once they varies the question I just go WHAAAT?

Any suggestions for solving this problem? Yes I know do more questions, but the more I do them the more I don't get them. In the end I get frustrated and just give up, leaving me more confused. :(

babybern16

HSC
is it true that even if u majorly suck (such as moi ere) at maths ext. dat it boosts ya math adv. mark neway ??
even if u get crappy marx ??
need 2 no b4 i drop it .. reali considrin it ..
help needed !!

A l

HSC
N/A
IceOnFire said:
Currently my problem is that I get the general concepts, but once they varies the question I just go WHAAAT?

Any suggestions for solving this problem? Yes I know do more questions, but the more I do them the more I don't get them. In the end I get frustrated and just give up, leaving me more confused. :(
You can't just understand the general concept, you have to understand the entire concept, back to front, roots and all. It may also help to have strong Extension 1 knowledge and deep understanding of where everything comes from. The thing about Extension 2 is that most people can hardly get away with rote learning. Extension 2 has a great emphasis on mathematical skills including logical/abstract thinking and problem solving techniques. You must have solidified these skills to conquer such problems. The assessment of these skills is a major discriminator between bands E3 and E4.
Therefore you should try to find out everything about the concepts to enhance your understanding. For example, in the topic Complex Numbers when you sketch say arg (z - 1) - arg (z + 1) = π/3 you should realise that the arc that you draw subtending an angle of π/3 from the points (1,0) and (-1,0) comes from a simple geometric relationship that an exterior angle is equal to sum of opposite interior angles of a triangle. Quite a number of people don't actually realise this and just draw the arc straightway systematically without any knowledge of where it came from. So when a question asks to prove why arg (z - 1) - arg (z + 1) = π/3 from a given diagram of the arc (Note that this question is practically the same as "sketch arg (z - 1) - arg (z + 1) = π/3", except it is asked almost "backwards") many would be stuck. (NB: this type of question appeared in my first assessment task and a lot of people in the grade were stumped by it). A similar principle would probably apply to your situtation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)