If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

HSC
If you are better than three unit than you are at two unit do four unit. But you have to be going alright as well in it.

bos1234

HSC
Affinity said:
All you need is a decent textbook and consistent effort to band E4.
is it possible to learn the 4 unit material independently without any teachers?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
bos1234 said:
It's possible if you put in the hard work.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
bos1234 said:
Yes, it is certainly possible. You'd have to have a good mathematical mind though...

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
bos1234 said:
adding ^^ and really determined, patient, independently motivated and <3 maths! And if you have the time to put in the hard work as Riviet said.

fishy89sg

HSC
no... why would you waste half your year learning and putting all that effort into 4 unit then dropping it...

mudcake42

HSC
I got a question... I dont have to choose for another 3 terms but:

if I take up 4 unit maths then I'll drop a subject...lets say business studies. will I end up with more or less work?

I'm not a brilliant mathematician as I have to work to get the good results I do so id have to work hard in it!

P

pLuvia

It depends how much work there is involved in business studies having not studied it I wouldn't know, but it really depends on how well you plan your time and really MX2 doesn't take THAT much of your time not as much as everyone says it does

*emi*

HSC
i reckon maths ext2 takes a TONNE of time
thats why i dropped... it was a spur of the moment I NEED MORE SLEEP and just want to go home to do that rather than go to stupid after school classes. so i dropped...
prob not the best decision, but it was taking away from all my other subjects - always tired, always doing 4u work
but its so interesting!!!!

btw anyone know if you need to do 4u to do actuarial studies at unsw?? i think i am now pretty screwed.

haque

HSC
I agree with affinity said, teachers didn't really do much, i mean they give good resources and all but the textboook with its examples is enough-i dunno that was the case at my school-some of my friends and myself stopped attending 4u classes after the first 2 weeks cos we lived so far-i had to catch the 600 train lol and the sleep is crucial-there's no use attedning classes if ur mind isn't switched on-ur doing neither sleeping or maths so u might as well do one.

4u maths is recommended for actuarial studies-however there are still 3u ppl doing fairly well in it.

P

pLuvia

It's recommended that students did 4u maths if they want to study actuarial studies, but a high mark in 3u maths is more than ok. But that's just a recommendation so that you know what kind of maths you will be exposed in the first few weeks/ first year and then the years to come

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
pLuvia said:
It's recommended that students did 4u maths if they want to study actuarial studies, but a high mark in 3u maths is more than ok. But that's just a recommendation so that you know what kind of maths you will be exposed in the first few weeks/ first year and then the years to come
Oh well. Besides, I betcha that everybody who did the HSC last year has forgotten how to integrate and do complex no. questions. I certainly have.

haque

HSC
Sparcod said:
Oh well. Besides, I betcha that everybody who did the HSC last year has forgotten how to integrate and do complex no. questions. I certainly have.
NO(*the way russell peters says it*). If u learn it in a superficial manner u'll forget it-otherwise u should remember at least 90% of it if not 100

nick90

HSC
A question for all people who have done / are a fair way through doing 4 - unit: What would be the most beneficial 4u topics or concepts to have had understanding of before 4 unit? In other words, what 4u work would you recommend starting on for a yr 11 student looking to get a head start?

Raginsheep

HSC
Nothing. 4u builds on the foundations that you acquire during year 11. If anything, make sure that all your year 11 works is up to standard and perhaps, start looking at the yr12 3u stuff.

The only topic which is "new" in 4u is complex numbers but thats really just an extension of what you started learning in kindergarden.

mudcake42

HSC
Ok so if I do 4 unit maths I'm going to drop one of my subjects. but this runs a HUGE risk because if I want to drop out, I can't because then I'll only be doing 11 units and my school doesn't allow that. So I'm going to be forced to continue doing 4 unit maths.

Maths is my favourite subject, I get good marks BUT I put alot of time into it. Should I risk it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)