• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

If you fail a subject... (2 Viewers)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Can you do that subject again without any penalty?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
and you might have to graduate later than usual if that subject is core and not offered during summer.

ie. try not to fail.

santaslayer

HSC
There will also be emotional and social costs..

like people laughing at u for failing
like ur parents being pissed off
like ur girlfriends parents looking down on u..
like finding it difficult to get a job in future

Generator

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:

It isn't that bad (or it shouldn't be that bad in the greater scheme of things), santaslayer. Failing a unit isn't exactly uncommon or limited to those barely scrapping through their degree.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
natstar said:
Its been said, that its uncommon that someone goes through university without failing a unit
i don't agree, i may have only been at uni for a semester (i'll be the first to admit i don't know a lot) _ but i have spoken to others in 2nd and 3rd year and i belive that if you:

*go to 80% of lectures (and more importantly, LISTEN)
*do your assignments properly - not just quickly and offhandedly
*study for your exams - this doesn't necessarily mean weeks before the exam - i started the week before my last exams and i still got 3 D's and an HD and i'm doing a science degree with fairly challenging subjects

if you are still failing (and i mean failing several courses not just one or two) then maybe you should seriously be considering why you are at uni, OR if the course you are doing is really the right one

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
It's not hard to do well at uni, but its also not hard to fail! I mean if you get a mean lecturer who fails a lot of students its not necessarily a reflection of you personally, it could be a reflection of the way the course was marked etc..

ballerinabarbie, just becuase you're doing a science degree with challenging subjects doesn't really mean anything.. I'm doing a teaching degree with challenging subjects! If uni wasn't challenging it wouldn't be so hard to get in would it?

Sure failing sucks, but its not the end of the world... If you have an FF against one subject on your transcript, then a HD there the second time you attempted it, it's gotta count for something doesn't it? I mean you're going to study hard and gain deep knowledge of the course the second time aren't you? Because there's no way you're going to do it a third time!

And in the end, is it really the mark that counts? What matters is the knowledge you gained at uni, and how you can prove to an employer that this knowledge you have would be valuable to his/her company/organisation/industry etc.. That's the crux of uni, don't be so concerned about the marks you get, they're just numbers. How will you use this knowledge in your chosen field?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
ballerinababe, some people aren't the smartest in the world, and try really hard, and fail a subject. But they stay at uni because it is the course they want to do, it's what they want to do in life. Why should they not be at uni, or not be able to do the course they want to do just because they fail a subject...
There comes a time when a person should just stop and reconsider their future if something is clearly beyond their capabilities, though.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Generator said:
There comes a time when a person should just stop and reconsider their future if something is clearly beyond their capabilities, though.
you're exactly right! But it don't think it's fair to say that the person shouldn't be there just because they've failed a subject! They may have copped a hard leturer, had a tough time personally that semester, broken a leg etc etc etc.. Failing a subject isn't the end of the world, yes it requires some reflection but no to the point of not being at uni for failing one subject

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
*study for your exams - this doesn't necessarily mean weeks before the exam - i started the week before my last exams and i still got 3 D's and an HD and i'm doing a science degree with fairly challenging subjects

I totally disagree with that.

cramming before an exam will not show your full potential.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Without Wings said:
ballerinababe, some people aren't the smartest in the world, and try really hard, and fail a subject. But they stay at uni because it is the course they want to do, it's what they want to do in life. Why should they not be at uni, or not be able to do the course they want to do just because they fail a subject...
i think if you re-read my post i didn't say that someone who fails one subject should be considering leaving uni... i'm talking about the people who fail like 2 subjects constantly, every semester (i know someone who has done 16 subjects and failed 7... these are the ppl i'm talking about) not people that fail maybe one or two a year

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
I totally disagree with that.

cramming before an exam will not show your full potential.
i wasn't saying i crammed... but to do well i don't think u need to be doing hours and hours of study the whole way through the semester... just keep it steady and increase it towards the end

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
i wasn't saying i crammed... but to do well i don't think u need to be doing hours and hours of study the whole way through the semester... just keep it steady and increase it towards the end
Are you serious? You should be doing a 3 to 1 ratio ( i think thats what it is).. for every 1 hour of face to face teaching at uni, you should be doing 3 hours of study on that course. Re-reading the stuff a week before the exam is cramming, study all semester!

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
We got told during session you should be doing one to one ratio....having a load of 22 hours a week to begin with there is no way i could do a 3 to one ratio

tempco

HSC
Courtenay said:
We got told during session you should be doing one to one ratio....having a load of 22 hours a week to begin with there is no way i could do a 3 to one ratio
it's obviously different for each course, but similar in terms of subjects within the same faculty, for example. science/engo subs are probably 1:1, while comm/eco are 3:1. something along those lines.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
yes but just because they find a subject difficult doesn't mean that they don't deserve to do the course, they at least deserve a second chance. i see what you mean...if you're failing everything etc then yes maybe the course is beyond your capabilities, but maybe there are other factors that are involved in it, such as poor essay skills etc, but you can't say that they don't deserve to be at uni, that's just not right
I was referring to those that experience a great deal of difficulty throughout their degree (as evidenced by a number of fails and academic warnings), not those that fail the odd unit or two.

As for saying that some do not deserve to be there, well, why isn't that right? Just because you gained the right of entry to a degree doesn't necessarily mean that you deserve to stay on if that degree is clearly beyond your capabilities. Academic standards shouldn't be considered as being secondary to the right of a student to carry on with their studies in that field, and thankfully they are not (even though I'm of the (largely unsubstantiated) belief that standards in general have dropped). Edit: The university determines who deserves to be there or not. I wasn't suggesting that I was of the belief that some people should not be there even though the university is letting them carry on, but rather that perhaps those at risk of academic suspension for poor results should reconsider their future sooner rather than later).

Poor essay writing skills as a possible mitigating factor? Not in a degree that requires a number of essays to be completed, no.

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
nekkid said:
it's obviously different for each course, but similar in terms of subjects within the same faculty, for example. science/engo subs are probably 1:1, while comm/eco are 3:1. something along those lines.
yes... I'd die if I did 3-1.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:

In short, if you fail a unit, you are worthless.

(I'm happy with my P average. Probably going to see a few F's this session..)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
natstar said:
Its been said, that its uncommon that someone goes through university without failing a unit
That's not true.

It's impossible to go through without MEETING someone who has failed though.

S

Shuter

PrincessSJ said:
Are you serious? You should be doing a 3 to 1 ratio ( i think thats what it is).. for every 1 hour of face to face teaching at uni, you should be doing 3 hours of study on that course. Re-reading the stuff a week before the exam is cramming, study all semester!
Hahahahaha, unless you're pretty crap at the course, a few days before assignments/exams should be fine to get good results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)