If you move from a subject/university to another is your academic transcript wiped (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
If you move from a university to another university is your academic transcript wiped out for your old university??? and you get to start fresh?

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Would a discontinue fail (DF) look better or a shit fail mark look better? LOL

Would a discontinue fail (DF) look better or a shit fail mark look better? LOL

So basically I pretty much know im going to fail this subject so I want to ask which one would slightly less worse to employers eyes?

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
If you fail a subject. and you redo it will your new marks replace your fail mark?

If you fail a subject. and you redo it will your new marks replace your fail mark?

and is this the same case for discontinue fail???

So basically what im saying is if you fail a subject but you get like high distinction after redo-ing it is your new mark 50? or 90???

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: If you fail a subject. and you redo it will your new marks replace your fail mark

Yes, a fail will still be on your transcript.

Say, you got a 40 the first time round, and second time, you got a 80 - when you average it out, you have a WAM of 60. It does not replace your marks. If you redo it, both marks will be on your transcript.

As for DF or a shit mark fail, I dunno. They both would look fair bad imo.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: If you fail a subject. and you redo it will your new marks replace your fail mark

Yes, a fail will still be on your transcript.

Say, you got a 40 the first time round, and second time, you got a 80 - when you average it out, you have a WAM of 60. It does not replace your marks. If you redo it, both marks will be on your transcript.

As for DF or a shit mark fail, I dunno. They both would look fair bad imo.
What would happen in the case of a discontinue fail?? I mean it wouldnt count as 0 right? If I get a DF would it just be a my new mark replacing my old mark?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

It wouldn't count as 0, but it definitely wouldn't be better than a 50. Otherwise, students who were heading for a 50 would drop out and get a DF and redo the subject and get a 80.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Last edited:

theloorloor

HSC
N/A

It wouldn't count as 0, but it definitely wouldn't be better than a 50. Otherwise, students who were heading for a 50 would drop out and get a DF and redo the subject and get a 80.
Can someone confirm what he is saying???

because wouldnt the reason why there is a deadline for a discontinue fail would be so that students can replace or redo that unit of study and be able to keep that mark instead of the old mark affecting it??

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: If you move from a university to another university is your academic transcript w

If you move from a university to another university is your academic transcript wiped out for your old university??? and you get to start fresh?
If the university offers the same subject and you get accredited for it (don't have to do it again), then no! i.e. If you got a pass/credit in 'Subject A' and you got accredited for 'Subject A' at another university; then the previous achievement record of pass/credit would remain. However, getting accredited for subjects is optional and you could always start the same subject fresh... Yes, this would wipe your academic transcript from the previous university.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
If I get a discontinue fail for a subject but then redo it and get a high distinction

If I get a discontinue fail for a subject but then redo it and get a high distinction then what will be my mark on my transcript and how will this affect my GPA and WAM?

Will my new good mark replace my discontinue fail grade???

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: If you move from a subject/university to another is your academic transcript wipe

No, a new mark doesn't replace a DF. How many fucking times do you need me to say it?

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: If you move from a subject/university to another is your academic transcript wipe

That was me merging the threads.

Both a fail and a DF look bad, except it's what you do with them that will make you stand out. If you take the course again and do well, employers shouldn't care. Or if they ask about it, you can tell them you had health/personal issues the first time, but the second time round you put in the extra effort and did exceedingly well.
Im just confused with a DF equates to if you know what I mean.

Isnt the whole point of a discontinue fail is that you can redo the subject and the mark you get the second time will what will count towards ur gpa/wam.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Im just confused with a DF equates to if you know what I mean.

Isnt the whole point of a discontinue fail is that you can redo the subject and the mark you get the second time will what will count towards ur gpa/wam.
Fail = Academic and Financial penalty

Discontinue Fail = Academic and Financial penalty

Discontinue Not Fail = Financial penalty only

It seems then that the only difference between a F and DF grade is the manner in which you failed; one you scored below 50, the other you elected to fail.

How can I withdraw from a unit of study after census date?

After census date you can no longer simply Withdraw from the units of study you are enrolled in. However, there are other options…

Discontinue without Failure (DNF) – You can apply to DNF (without providing supporting documentation) by the specified 'DNF' dates for each semester. Please refer to the Important Dates page for details. Enrolment variation forms can be downloaded from the Undergraduate Forms Page.

If you wish to apply for a grade of DNF after these dates on the grounds of Medical or Misadventure, you may submit a DNF Application Form, accompanied by supporting documentation, to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Office.

If a DNF grade is applied it will appear on your academic transcript. However, please note that this is not a fail grade. You will not receive any credit points for the unit and will need to make up the credit points at another stage in your degree.

Discontinue Fail (DF) – If you have not experienced serious illness or misadventure, but still do not wish to continue your enrolment in a unit of study after the cut-off date for DNF, you can apply for the grade of DF. A DF grade will appear on your academic transcript and is considered a Fail grade. You will not receive any credit points for the unit. If you wish to DF a unit you can do so in person at the Student Counter of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Office. Refer to the Important Dates page for details.

http://sydney.edu.au/arts/current_students/things_go_wrong.shtml

sghguos

HSC
N/A

thanks for try and helping but it still doesnt answer my question.

what a df would equate to int terms of fail grade..

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

thanks for try and helping but it still doesnt answer my question.

what a df would equate to int terms of fail grade..
A DF grade will appear on your academic transcript and is considered a Fail grade

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

If you're waiting for someone to tell you that a DF grade won't affect your GPA/WAM at all, it's not going to happen. Thems the rules unfortunately, i don't know how much more clear it can get.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC

If you're waiting for someone to tell you that a DF grade won't affect your GPA/WAM at all, it's not going to happen. Thems the rules unfortunately, i don't know how much more clear it can get.
A DF grade will appear on your academic transcript and is considered a Fail grade
It'll affect your GPA/WAM really badly, it'll be on your transcript forever.. until/if you change universities.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

It'll affect your GPA/WAM really badly, it'll be on your transcript forever.. until/if you change universities.
really badly?

I can redo the subject and get better marks?

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Is it true that you can convert a fail to a DNF???????????

After researching I came upon this interesting quote.

"If you genuinely had personal problems during the first year, consider lodging an appeal against the grades you received. It is possible* to have the grades converted from F to DNF (Discontinue not to count as fail) which will not effect your weighted average.
•At least this is the case at Sydney University, I imagine UNSW has a similar appeal system."

Can anyone provide me with any information on this?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Re: Is it true that you can convert a fail to a DNF???????????

really badly?

I can redo the subject and get better marks?
You can redo the subject and get a better mark, but this does not negate the effect of the original fail on your GPA/WAM! Please, you've been told this so many fucking times.

After researching I came upon this interesting quote.

"If you genuinely had personal problems during the first year, consider lodging an appeal against the grades you received. It is possible* to have the grades converted from F to DNF (Discontinue not to count as fail) which will not effect your weighted average.
•At least this is the case at Sydney University, I imagine UNSW has a similar appeal system."

Can anyone provide me with any information on this?
Read this:

A grade of DNF carries no academic penalty, but students remain liable for HECS or fees for the unit of study.

Domestic students can request a DNF grade, without providing supporting documentation, up to the appropriate deadline specified by the University. For 2013 the DNF deadlines are 26 April in semester 1, and 13 September in semester 2.

International students will need to provide supporting documentation in all cases where they are applying for a DNF grade.

A DNF result applied after the DNF deadline specified by the University should always be considered exceptional and a last resort where other methods of special consideration may not, or cannot be applied. The circumstances must therefore be exceptional, long term, documented and unknown or unforeseeable at the point of time for variation without penalty. Students may only apply for DNF grades due to the sudden onset of severe and ongoing illness or misadventure that could not have been reasonably foreseen, and which prevents the student from continuing their studies.

Applications for a DNF on the basis of severe long-term illness or misadventure must normally be made within 2 weeks of the end of the teaching period in the semester in which a DNF is sought. Late applications for DNF will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Students must submit appropriate supporting documentation with their application for DNF. (Please see the Faculty’s Policy and Procedure for: Application for a late DNF due to illness or misadventure for more information.)

DNF grades are not available to students who have attempted and failed assessment tasks in the unit of study for which DNF is sought. Discontinuation of studies with a grade of DNF is not intended to allow students who have failed a unit of study to have this result removed from their academic record.

http://sydney.edu.au/arts/current_students/discontinue_not_fail.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)