If you write your memorised (19/20) generic essay in the HSC WITHOUT LINKING WHAT.... (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Say you managed to write a generic essay (19/20)(100%)

You gave it to another person and they wrote exactly in the HSC but did'nt relate it to the question (they did but very limited)

What mark would they expect.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I think they cap it at 14/20. It would have to be AMAZING though.

vegan1

HSC
N/A
Re: If you write your memorised (19/20) generic essay in the HSC WITHOUT LINKING WHAT

14 or 15

D94

HSC
N/A
Re: If you write your memorised (19/20) generic essay in the HSC WITHOUT LINKING WHAT

I don't see how a generic essay which barely answers the question would get a mid B mark. I'd say less than 10/20, according to the marking criteria.

This is for 13-16 marks.
- Demonstrates effectively an understanding of the relationship between texts and contexts using detailed textual references
- Composes an effective response using language appropriate to audience, purpose and form
This is for 9–12 marks.
- Demonstrates an understanding of some aspects of the relationship between texts and contexts using relevant textual references
- Composes a sound response using language appropriate to audience, purpose and form
There is a distinct difference between an "effective" response and a "sound" response. One that doesn't answer the question cannot have "relevant" references, unless they managed to cover all themes, but in that case, they'd only have half a paragraph covering that theme, so it can't be simultaneously "effective" if there are 3.5 paragraphs which don't relate to the relevant theme.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That's why it gets 13-14.

Because it fulfils the other criteria well but not the "response" part.

Gosh.

(or maybe it was 12. I think it was actually because I got 13 or 14 for one and that was the reason my teacher gave, but she said I did a *tiny* bit of linking and my response was really good so she would feel bad capping me at 12)

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

I guess the tipping point would be how much it actually relates back to the question, and obviously the marker.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, but I think there is like a top mark. Which would be 14. If it was AMAZING and had a partial relation. Which people would at least attempt to do.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

It depends on the quality of the memorised essay. If it has a strong thesis that is BASED ON THE MODULE RUBRIC, which it argues coherently throughout, you MIGHT (just might) get 14/20 by virtue of the fact that the question will be based on the syllabus.

But in most cases (where the question isn't phenomenally general), 9-12/20

ahdil33

HSC

15-16 if they give a half assed attempt at even answering the question, I've seen this so many times lol. But for the higher marks, you'd have to do better with the linking.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

19/20 isn't 100% bro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)