I'm starting to lose passion for English advanced - should I drop to standard? (1 Viewer)

nuvardex

HSC
Recently, I've had no drive to complete English work to a high standard. I don't DISLIKE the topics we cover, but I always come to class with a degree of uncertainty, and this underlying question: how do I actually STUDY for English?

None of our teachers have outlined how the paper works, or what to "study," as all of the content seems mixed up, and instead of following a chronologically ordered syllabus like that of, for example, Legal Studies, we're left with a rubric, and no teacher has explained it's significance. Some say that you should take note of quotes of specific text along with techniques, with others saying you should just "practice your responses," and at the moment I've got no idea who I should listen to. Now that I've had a rant for where I'm at, please answer these questions:

1. How do you study for English?
2. Do we get some kind of stimulus booklet that we can look at in the exam? If so, why are people making notes?
3. If I were to perform poorly in English advanced from now up until the HSC, would it be counted towards my ATAR? I ask this because I thought your lowest ranking subject doesn't go towards anything.

SUBJECTS

ENGLISH ADV | MATHS ADV | PHYSICS | LEGAL STUDIES | PDHPE | MULTIMEDIA

Last edited:

A.void.that.thinks

HSC
To answer one of your questions, English is the one subject that DEFINITELY WILL count towards your atar no matter how you perform in it.

ghudshifjhwijnc

HSC
N/A
lol imo theres no right or wrong in english it's literally poetic bullshitting so dont stress fr.
1. Personally, I study by memorising essays. Now i know some people don't like this but i mean its worked for me and it worked for others. You just need to practice adapting to different questions each time.
2. Depends on the paper. Paper 1 you get unseen texts and an essay question. Paper 2 you get 2 essay questions and a mod C task. I guess they're making notes so that they can go back to it later? Because kinda hard to remember what you did in Term 1 when ur in Term 3 yknow?
3. idk lol other people can clarify on this

Good luck and don't stress its only the beginning lol :)

uniqueusername1

HSC
Recently, I've had no drive to complete English work to a high standard. I don't DISLIKE the topics we cover, but I always come to class with a degree of uncertainty, and this underlying question: how do I actually STUDY for English?

None of our teachers have outlined how the paper works, or what to "study," as all of the content seems mixed up, and instead of following a chronologically ordered syllabus like that of, for example, Legal Studies, we're left with a rubric, and no teacher has explained it's significance. Some say that you should take note of quotes of specific text along with techniques, with others saying you should just "practice your responses," and at the moment I've got no idea who I should listen to. Now that I've had a rant for where I'm at, please answer these questions:

1. How do you study for English?
2. Do we get some kind of stimulus booklet that we can look at in the exam? If so, why are people making notes?
3. If I were to perform poorly in English advanced from now up until the HSC, would it be counted towards my ATAR? I ask this because I thought your lowest ranking subject doesn't go towards anything.

SUBJECTS

ENGLISH ADV | MATHS ADV | PHYSICS | LEGAL STUDIES | PDHPE | MULTIMEDIA
English always goes towards your ATAR lol. Also if you don't like advanced your not going to like standard.

specificagent1

HSC
None of our teachers have outlined how the paper works,
So the paper works like this.

Paper 1 (Text and Human experiences is the main focus here):
There is a short answer section where you will be given texts to write about.
There will be 1 essay question on the common module text and human experiences. You will only write about your prescribed text here and not your related text.

Paper 2 (will focus on the rest of the modules):
1 Essay question on Mod A (Textual conversations)
1 Essay question on Mod B (Critical Study of literature)
1 question on Mod C (Craft of writing) this may be a question that asks you to do one of the following or give you an option to do one of the following:
  • Discursive
  • Creative
  • Persuasive
You may also be given a stimulus to help create your piece. You may also be asked to write a reflection.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Studying for English requires a multifaceted approach, manifested in developing thorough knowledge and understanding of the syllabus/rubric, including ideas/themes/issues raised within each module, which you must refer to throughout your responses (especially essays) in terms of your prescribed texts. This in turn means that one of the main objectives is to familiarise yourself with your prescribed texts to a great extent and develop an ability to analyse them critically, allowing you to write good quality essays. Your teacher will likely be able to assist you with this aspect, meaning that it is important that you regularly seek feedback and implement suggestions accordingly. All of this applies to both English Advanced and English Standard. I suggest having a look at the syllabus document for English Standard and English Advanced (accessible via the links below):

2. The unseen texts section in the HSC exam contains a number of stimuli that require written responses through short answer questions. You cannot possibly make notes for this specific section as you are not made aware of what this stimulus material entails prior to the exam. However, you can make notes that are relevant to this section, including an analysis of relevant techniques (literary and visual) that you might be able to locate within each different stimulus and the connection those establish with the appropriate idea/theme/issue being raised within its respective module. With respect to your prescribed texts, making notes constitutes an effective way of supporting your knowledge and understanding of each text and its connection with the rubric/syllabus. This subsequently allows you to improve your analysis of each text, ultimately allowing you to write high-quality essays that directly answer specific questions.

3. The best 2 units of English will count towards your ATAR. This doesn't necessarily have to be English Standard or English Advanced. If you were taking English Extension 2 and happen to perform better in both English Extension 1 and English Extension 2 than English Advanced, the former will count towards your ATAR instead of the latter. In your case however, whichever level of English you end up choosing will count towards your ATAR because you are not taking anything higher than English Advanced. Further, English Advanced has relatively better alignment compared to English Standard, in which it is less common for band 6's to be achieved. Despite the fact that a band 6 in English Standard definitely remains possible, if your goal is to achieve a band 6 in English, keeping English Advanced may be a better option.

I hope this helps! :D

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
A minimum of 2 units of English counts towards your ATAR. Keep Advanced, better due to aligning then Standard for a similar level of work.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hey guys I just want to share my opinion on the internet that I really love english, I think they should remove 2u english and make more units of english compulsory. My favourite literature is Shakespeare's King Lear because of the funny jokes XD. Wha t is your favourite text, feel free to share below~ fellow authors!

uniqueusername1

HSC
Hey guys I just want to share my opinion on the internet that I really love english, I think they should remove 2u english and make more units of english compulsory. My favourite literature is Shakespeare's King Lear because of the funny jokes XD. Wha t is your favourite text, feel free to share below~ fellow authors!
Diary of the Wimpy Kid. Waiting for the new on to come out.

uniqueusername1

HSC
I used to read them but they kinda just died out.
Oi na take that back. Diary of the Wimpy Kid, the Treehouse collection, Geronimo Stilton are all bangers which not only provide enjoyment the enrich the human mind with new insights. These insights are actually complex and aid an individual in their daily lives unlike, Shakespeare and his peasantry collection which is more useful in starting a camp fire than providing knowledge.

FesuY

HSC
The minecraft cumbat book was me favourtee It teld me how to kill monsters like creepas and zombees and skelytonz and spyders and many other it tell me how to make a sord and how to get dymonds it is a cool book i give 11/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)