Imaginative Journey: Unexpected Destinations (1 Viewer)

halialoon

HSC
I was a bit thrown by the question. By saying imaginative journeys involve around unexpected destinations I interpreted in the following way (due to the texts I used). I said that it wasn't so much the destination which was unexpected rather it was the challenges experienced on the journey which were.

For example my 3 texts:

The Tempest - the final destination of reconciliation was not unexpected rather the journey of Prospero to forgiveness and Miranda and Ferdinand to love was.

Journey to the Interior - did not have a definite conclusion to the journey, challenged the assumption that all journeys have definite endings. No destination, therefore it was the challenges Atwood had to confront in her own mind which were unexpected.

Alice in Wonderland - the cliched ending of Alice having dreamt the whole experience showed that the destination was not unexpected, it was what she experienced in Wonderland that was, and her journey from childhood fear to maturity and courage.

Did I interpret the q right? What was different about your interpretation?

becko the gecko

HSC
wow reading this has made me feel so much better! i approached it from a similar angle saying how destinations weren't just physical, but could also be realisations etc. also talked about Prospero giving up magic... funny how we all think so similar! i also talked about the 'destination' of the audience or responders...not sure if i made that clear enough though!

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
yeah i wasnt really sure what to say , so i said that travellers embark on IJ without really having a fixed path - then end up somewhere thats more positive. therefore its ... unexpected haha.
that was a bit .. yeah dodgy , but was the best i could do ><

jiakan

HSC
amisha_amisha said:
That's not a very nice thing to say - people have different strengths and weaknesses... one might have found the short answer difficult, while another breezes through it. You shouldn't make those sort of comments - it is rude. I'm sure you aren't ace at EVERY SINGLE THING you do!

Ofcourse I dont ace EVERY SINGLE THING I do. What I was saying is that the 'unexpected destination' or the unpredictable nature of the imaginative journey is a straight forward journey notion that can be relatively easy to identify than some others.

Also, I am not good at English, I just found this one easier than what I anticipated. I do realise that people have different strengths and weaknesses and I apologize if I offended anyone.

laurajm

HSC
i was freaking out before the exam especially the last section
the question was heaps easier than the years before. It was easy to apply the coleridge poems to it
i wrote about 11 pages for it? wat did other people do?

~untitled~

HSC
Lol. so my essay was rushed at the end.

The Tempest - Prospero found that although landing on the island seemed disadvantageous at first, he found it to be benificial as he rules milan with more responsibility, and also about him forgiving the others and stuff.

Road not taken - Something about how imaginative speculation can never provide us with a precise destination of a journey.

Frankenstein - The when victor was subsumed by his imagination his views were different of creating human, to how they actually turned out when he did create it and it turned into a monster etc.

Major fail. My response was really unclear.

bussoti

HSC
I thought I tackled it pretty well, molding my thesis to better support my view that the I.J is an allegory for the creative process.

Opera

HSC
I think i overcomplicated the question:

I disagreed with the statement and talked about how we metaphorically arrived at the expected destination when looking at the context in which these compostions we written.

E.g. For the tempest- i talked about the sub plot and the fact that it wasnt suprising the shakespeare parodied the Brave New (machiavellian) world which was begining to emerge in the 1500 - 1600's

For The Time Machine - Both the physical and metaphorical destinations at which we arrived where not suprising due to the context in which it was writing as in the late 1800's there was a great divide between the upper and lower class in britian.

For The Ivory Trail - i said i agreed as the conitations associated with the word ivory (e.g. elephants, africa or india etc) juxtaposed with egyptian images led the responder to arrive at an unexpected destination....

ashbash0612

HSC
I did Coleridge... but i disagreed with the statement. Except for Lime-Tree Bower to some extent, the destinations could be expected on every level. I wanted the question to be a little more profound or interesting. oh well! It's over now.
The only problem i have with it is that fact that i didn't feel so refreshed afterwards... i just started thinking about paper two :s

buzzcut

HSC
I did Journey To The Interior (worked really well with the question)
And the film "Labyrinth" which worked pretty good too.
I was pretty happy with the question; nice and broad although I would have found it more difficult if I had other additional texts (ie Wind in the willows?)

jmshuynh32

HSC
Shit man i onli wrote 1 and a half pages and i thot i had covered the lot. Oh well im happy for creative i wrote 2 and a half so in ur face =P

abbott75

HSC
The question worked so well with Journey to the Interior. You should have seen my smile when I read it. 6 pages for me btw.

abbott75

HSC
The question worked so well with Journey to the Interior. You should have seen my smile when I read it. 6 pages for me btw.

kloudsurfer

HSC
twisted_baybeeh said:
i did alot of what you guys said..talking about how the destination could be phsycial, or a state of mind or realisation.
Gah! Thats what I was trying to say but I just couldnt find the words the say it consicely and coherently!

I just hope it made sense!

buzzcut

HSC
abbott75 said:

yeh i was smiling at first
then i read the comprehension lol :burn:

bethdocker85

HSC
amisha_amisha said:
The question was pretty flexible... I think as long you had the concepts with you you should be alright.

Anyone do On Giant's Shoulder's? It's the worst text - I mean who wants to journey into the realms of SCIENCE! Stupid non-fiction text...

I totally rushed my related text though! And I didn't INTEGRATE!!

Yes!! I did On Giants' Shoulders!! Haha I thought our school was like the only one in the state which did it!

It's so crap. What did u write for unexpected destinations? I kinda blabbed on about how they didn't expect to reach these great achivements and they were just normal ppl etc etc.. and talked about Marie Curie and how everyone around her never expected her to acheieve what she did. It was such bullcrap.

I hate that text. Never again. I'm burning it. And my stimulus booklet!

whitee

HSC
kokodamonkey said:
i looked at unexpected destinations being metaphorical for part of it as if referring to the conclusions that we arive at through our journeys. meh
Hey i did something like that! i think you did it better but, coz mine was more like unexpected desitnations may be unexpected but they always have meaning because of what we learn from them...kinda.

indiealternativ

HSC
i kind of worked on the thesis that people embark on im. j's as a form of escape from mundane reality and come out of these with unexpected self-awareness and wisdom. i kinda just proved it by showing that the responder is entertained but also learns valuable lessons= unexpected destination. meh, i dunno.

Abbyruth

HSC
twisted_baybeeh said:
i did alot of what you guys said..talking about how the destination could be phsycial, or a state of mind or realisation. I only really talked about prospero tho =\ forgot to throw in my stuff about miranda
I tried to do the same thing, but I don't know that it worked properly for me. I didn't actually mention that the destination could be a state of mind, just kind of dived in and ended up hoping that the markers will figure out that I wasn't talking about a physical journey, but an imaginative journey... I suppose they will get it?? Hmm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)