Immigrants and the Australian Identity (1 Viewer)

Do you consider yourself as an Australian???

• Yes

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What would we would have lost by refusing to allow the lebanese muslims to immigrate during the civil war period?
Just off the top of my head,

- Fat Pizza
- Lebanese Food
- Many friends
- An entire culture that has influenced Australia not just in a negative, but also in a positive way.

Yet on the other hand they've caused quite a few problems.
The individuals have caused the problems, not the culture or race of people.

K

katie_tully

Not-That-Bright said:
What's so bad about HotShot having such a view tho? I don't think it's our place to say 'that view is wrong - goodbye!', it might turn out to be a correct one. We should focus on educating people how to learn better so that perhaps they might analyse the situation and come to a conclusion that has less logical errors.
Are you insane? have you read anything he has said?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea he's a bit of a nut, lately I'm pretty sure he's just trolling, but I still don't think it's right for us to just form some sort of tight rigid control where we dictate what is right and wrong especially when it comes to issues that are at least somewhat debatable. Who decides what's right and wrong? The Majority? What if the Majority is wrong? Then are we stuck with this never ending cycle of wrongness?

So yea, I don't think it's right to restrict people's thoughts/ideas :p

banco55

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Just off the top of my head,

- Fat Pizza
- Lebanese Food
- Many friends
- An entire culture that has influenced Australia not just in a negative, but also in a positive way.

The individuals have caused the problems, not the culture or race of people.
You don't think there's been a culture clash between the very conservative/puritanical muslim culture and the relatively more permissive australian culture? Ask girls at sydney beaches and I think you'll get your answer.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well as I said it's individuals - individuals are harassing the girls at sydney beaches.

I also don't see how their actions are indicative of lebanese culture, to be honest with you the whole idea of you know... going around 'picking up hawt chix for sum secks' seems to be a very liberal western idea (which would seem in opposition to your view of them as ultra-conservatives) so I dunno how you've somehow created this culture clash - seems to me they're actually living our culture to the fullest.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
banco55 said:
Their are lots of monocultural states that are very vibrant and successful. Japan and Korea for example and when the European states were at their peak they were relatively monocultural.
Are you suggesting that Australia, Canada, USA, UK and many other advanced western nations are not vibrant and sucessful?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
That's all very well and good iam, however I give you the example of our friend hot-shot.
He holds nothing but contempt for Britain (for some reason), and our very country is founded on law and parliamentary systems introduced by Britain. Indeed our value systems are very, very similar. Yet this person has done nothing but rant and rave about the evil doings of Britain, and countries under the Commonwealth.
Just because hotshot may be an idiot doesn't mean multiculturalism should be abandoned and racist policies reinstated. He doesn't represent everyone who is not a white anglo and a whole system should not be scrapped because of a few 'bad apples'.

tully said:
I would assume that our baseline culture is much similar to that of the British model, and if he holds such contempt for Britain, how can he honestly say he has respect for OUR baseline culture?
Our baseline culture is general invovles not breaking the law and working within the capitalist economy. It should be pointed out that this is not exactly just a british idea.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
erawamai said:
Are you suggesting that Australia, Canada, USA, UK and many other advanced western nations are not vibrant and sucessful?
No I don't know where you got that from. I'm suggesting that you don't need mass immigration to be a vibrant and sucessful country. If Australia, Canada, etc. had taken in far fewer immigrants post world war II I don't think they'd be any less vibrant and sucessful than they are today.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
That's all very well and good iam, however I give you the example of our friend hot-shot.
He holds nothing but contempt for Britain (for some reason), and our very country is founded on law and parliamentary systems introduced by Britain. Indeed our value systems are very, very similar. Yet this person has done nothing but rant and rave about the evil doings of Britain, and countries under the Commonwealth.
I would assume that our baseline culture is much similar to that of the British model, and if he holds such contempt for Britain, how can he honestly say he has respect for OUR baseline culture?
And this is what Australian's are so fed up with! It's not wanting to eat the cuisine of your home nation, or celebrate certain festivals. It is this blatant disrespect for what we, and the founders of this nation hold dear.
baseline culture? i know of quite few aussies who hate britain, quite a few actually. hating britain doesnt mean i am against australian values - its a personal i am not tellin u to hate britain and that we hold hands and riot on the streeets. no its arguments against ur viewpoint suggesting britains are peace world saving freaks.
now i havent raved against countries under the commonwealth? i dont like it when you make up stuff about what other people say, its not good.

Australian's are fed up with Britain , after britain invented soccer,rugby and cricket and they suck at all of the sports. and so aussies kindly allowed them win to the ashes and the rugby world cup (damn wilkinson) to give them motivation. but i dont think its working they are getting kicked by the indians.

respect? trust me i show lot of respect to australians, but that doesnt mean that ilick their dicks and give them bj, u need to earn respect, and i give respect if its earnt. simple.

K

katie_tully

That was the most idiotic, senseless crap I've seen come out of your mouth yet. In no way did it resemble a counter argument.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
That was the most idiotic, senseless crap I've seen come out of your mouth yet. In no way did it resemble a counter argument.
i am sure i have said much more senseless idiotic crap than this than what u have read.

by the way i am typing it, i am not rich to afford one of those software that does all the typing for u ( cant remember the name).

but yeah, i suppose ur post says a lot :rofl:

davin

HSC
N/A
i think you can tell that hotshot is runing out of argument when he gets to the blowjob part of his arguement

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Aboriginals aren't real Australians, cocksalad, they migrated to Australia too.
mmmmmmmm be careful when you say that.

yes, i agree that many tribes of nomadic people migrated to a landmass, known to us since 1901 as 'australia'. but realise that the 'nation' of australia wasn't formally established as a whole political or constitutional entity, when you take the western view. the aboriginal people had their own tribes (over 300+ from memory) which had very slightly different customs and traditions.

but what i would like to point out is that, are they the FIRST people to immigrate here? was the land uninhabited then by homo sapiens? was the land THEN, (claiming to be more than 40,000 yrs ago) deemed to be called 'terra nullius'? if so, then i suppose we can classify the aboriginal people as the 'first australians' and i use that term in its broadest sense.

now, some people raised the fact that the british had a legitimate claim to the land 'australia' because it was terra nullius, and based their claim of soverigenity over the land was uncultivated and desert. this claim, as seen in the viewpoint of today's PC, and seen by the Mabo decision by the High Court of Australia, was not legitimate. just clearing up some facts here.

anyhow, we can't really change history. but i guess, we can attempt to amend the atrocities done in history.

Comrade nathan

HSC
katie_tully said:
Well see the puppy was now a dog, but the industry, now that was a revolution.

banco55

HSC
I have to wonder what people think would have happened to "Australia" and the aboriginals if the british hadn't colonized it? Assuming one of the other European powers or later someone like the Japanese doesn't invade they'd probably be the Haiti of Asia.

Comrade nathan

HSC
banco55 said:
I have to wonder what people think would have happened to "Australia" and the aboriginals if the british hadn't colonized it? Assuming one of the other European powers or later someone like the Japanese doesn't invade they'd probably be the Haiti of Asia.
Haiti isn't excactly a independent nation.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
i think you can tell that hotshot is runing out of argument when he gets to the blowjob part of his arguement
dude i am get sick and tired of her, saying 'ur arguments are shit, ur a cocksucker, ur insane "etc.

davin

HSC
N/A
ah, yeah, because of course, your arguements are a model of rationality and calm thought normally.
the number of threads where your logic has come down to ipso facto fellatio is rather high.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
ah, yeah, because of course, your arguements are a model of rationality and calm thought normally.
the number of threads where your logic has come down to ipso facto fellatio is rather high.
only cos the topic is so "pso facto fellatio".

banco55

HSC
Comrade nathan said:
Haiti isn't excactly a independent nation.
True. They now have a UN peacekeeping force there and I think the GDP per capita is one of the lowest in the world. Not to mention the rampant violence and crime. I don't think an Australia ruled entirely by Aboriginals would have fared much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)