Impact of outliers (1 Viewer)

iStudent

HSC
This is a question relating to the moderated assessment marks.
Let's say first in the subject gets 95%... and the rest get below 85 (and these marks were submitted to the board of studies by the school). Then in the real HSC, #1 gets 93 exam mark and #2 gets 92 exam mark. How negatively would this affect the performance of #2?

-Because of the large mark difference, would #2's assessment mark get dragged down, to say, 87?
-Or would BOS completely ignore the impact of #1 since he/she is an outlier?
-Is it even possible for #2 to get 91/92 assessment mark? (and nobody else in the cohort gets band 6)

Also, what if #1 is 20 marks ahead of #2? (can #2 even get 90+ internal?)

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
95/85% as in the mark you would've got on your report (not your assessment mark). My question is how this impacts ON your assessment mark. (sorry I keep thinking assessment marks are "modulated" from a combination of your exam mark and your rank)

Also, @seventhroot are you serious? Because I'm in a similar situation right now, and I really don't want to be the reason nobody gets band 6.
Btw, is there a source you got this from?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
95/85% as in the mark you would've got on your report (not your assessment mark). My question is how this impacts ON your assessment mark. (sorry I keep thinking assessment marks are "modulated" from a combination of your exam mark and your rank)

Also, @seventhroot are you serious? Because I'm in a similar situation right now, and I really don't want to be the reason nobody gets band 6.
Btw, is there a source you got this from?
i m 107.3% srs bro

source: my old legal studies teacher

how about you don't give a shit about the bottom of your cohort and start studying

iStudent

HSC
Oh oops, I meant moderated*. not modulated.
Thanks for that :D
I don't usually care, but I guess I don't want others to suffer because of me :p

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
How large does the gap have to be for someone to be consider an outlier?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How large does the gap have to be for someone to be consider an outlier?
They won't release that information

Just do your best and don't worry about these petty things

sugartits

HSC
First year of bachelor of economics they teach the the basics of the statistical methods used to calculate ATARS and do scaling, + I read something from the BOS or UAC.

Basically put an outlier that is high enough relative to everything else will just bring the average mark (relative to weighting) up in just the school assessment component, which in turn is used to gain your final rank, which is then used to allocate the final exam marks.

sugartits

HSC
Explained another way - 4 terms of school are spent fighting tooth and nail hunger games style to have a) have the highest mark (will help the class at the end), and b) have the highest rank (will help you personally), then the actual HSC exams are basically a team effort - you want everyone to do as best as possible

If you're ranked #1, but get the 2nd highest mark in the final exam, your mark goes to personal ranked #2 and you get their mark, yes it seems unfair but relative to their school based marks it should be higher.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
That's simply incorrect.
This. You are moderated on the basis of the difference between ranks as well....

Then as a cohort as a whole you get the same amount of marks back through the assessment marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)