Implications of being the only student doing a certain subject (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hello all,

I plan to study Italian Continuers next year. I am the only student in my school who has chosen it and I will be in a mixed class with 7 Italian Beginners students. If I keep Italian for year 12, as I would be the only student in my year doing it, would I definitely receive my external HSC examination mark as my HSC assessment mark?

Thanks,

James

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I've heard from some teachers that the BOS has a special moderation procedure for small cohorts - not sure how true that is though, and I don't have any direct evidence for it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, there is no moderation procedure for small cohorts - what you get in the exam is your mark to be added to your assessment mark from the school, no alignment at all. I guess they're just lazy?

Brontecat

HSC
its pretty much what shadowdude said

i do english advanced combined w/ others and sor 2 combined w/ sor1 students :D

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
When there is one candidate the exam mark becomes the moderated assessment mark as well so a great assessment mark will come down with a poor exam mark and vice versa.

For two students the top exam mark becomes the assessment mark of the top school ranked student and vice versa.

I have had classes with both these scenarios and that is what happened in both those years and is the same thing whenever we have entered students with that small a cohort at my school.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
When I said the exam mark becomes the moderated assessment mark that exam mark is the aligned mark - the same as every other student in the state who earned the same mark e.g. you get 88 raw then like every other student who got 88 raw your would be aligned to say 94 but your assessment mark would then be moderated to 94.

Schoey93

HSC
I understand - I don't expect to receive any raw marks. Now I know what I'm in for. I got a B in School Certificate Italian. I'll just do my best to try to maintain good marks.

Takuto

HSC
No, there is no moderation procedure for small cohorts - what you get in the exam is your mark to be added to your assessment mark from the school, no alignment at all. I guess they're just lazy?
omgg everything you tell people is wrong and misleading. can you please do alot more research and then come back lol.

cem (a teacher I think) is right on this. you're moderated with yourself.

what you get for the exam is carried on to your assessment mark. essentially, this means you will keep whatever you get for the external exam as your final mark (after raw mark is aligned).

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I did say that, I think the wording was a bit off though... I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)