Importance of Research? (1 Viewer)

issloo

HSC
I'm not sure whether there is already a thread about this, if there is, if anybody can point me to it that would be wonderful.

I just want to know whether employers view research as important. At my uni we can do a research unit which takes up the space of 2 units. It means that I won't be able to do as many electives though, and I'm tossing up between doing 2 electives (which I would like to do more than research probably), and doing the research unit.

Do employers view research favourable, and do you think it makes a substantial difference in terms of employability?
I guess it does mean you can do more than just exams, and it's also something you can talk about in interviews, but is that it?

*jellz*

HSC
Unless the research unit is a prerequisite for honours (in which case, definitely go for it!) I don't think employers particularly care. As people keep reiterating, its all about the marks. So I would choose it only if you think it will play to your strengths. If not, proceed with caution- without meticulous planning and organisation, those research subjects can monopolize your time and potentially decrease your performance in your other subjects.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Research is important if you are seeking entrance to a postgraduate programme, an academic job, or a job as a judicial associate. Beyond these niche areas it is of limited use, but there's no harm in doing it - you'd just be better off focusing on your marks, instead.

HSC
N/A
Legal Research is extremely important.

how do you think you will help your client if you can't find cases, laws, reports, etc?

HSC
N/A
Law firms will teach you how to do legal research.

PROTIP: This will be different to how the law school teaches you.
law firms don't use CaseBase? LexisNexis?

austli? parliament of nsw/commonwealth?
bills? first drafts?

*jellz*

HSC
Legal Research is extremely important.

how do you think you will help your client if you can't find cases, laws, reports, etc?
Yes, of course legal research is important. But there is a huge difference between legal research for professional purposes and academia. In a commercial environment, no one- employer or client- is going to pay for you to read mountains of articles and cases and debate the finer points of the law. You will be pushed to locate answers to very specific questions and summarize them- succinctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)