• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Important: Anti-vsu Rally (1 Viewer)

Plebeian

withoutaface said:
It's on thursday? My bad, I was under the impression it was on a Friday.

I don't like the fact that the union uses the subsidised food line of thought to draw students in, when in fact the food is pretty expensive, and perhaps if it were owned by someone other than the union it would be priced more competitively, especially if there were several different businesses which owned different outlets.
Well, there currently are private businesses such as BB's and Donut King. These have to compete with each other (BB's is directly across the corridor from Donut King) as well as the Union shops (which are still competitors, even though they are not privately owned). And yet, BB's and Donut King are more expensive than all the Union shops! Clearly, competition is not really driving prices down. This is perhaps because private shops have to compensate for the fact that they receive absolutely no business for 3 months of the year when we are on holidays.

I also don't like that they try to make out that VSU spells the definitive end of everything fun on campus, eg clubs and socs. Sure their fees will go up, some might no longer be subsidised by the union, but if people want the services they will still pay for them, I know I will be rejoining most of the socs I'm presently in next year.
Even if their membership fees go up to $40, or if they are forced to charge $5 just to have a BBQ or an extra $15 every time they want to hold an event? You might be faithful, but a lot of people won't be. And in the case of venues like Manning, it is debatable whether these will be able to stay open under VSU. It takes a lot of money to run a venue like that, and if student union fees are slashed as a source of revenue (with a resultant fall in sponsorship dollars from sponsors who see a decreased audience for their product), there may not be enough money to continue to keep them open. Certainly if the Union has to drastically cut costs, it WILL mean an end to things like free bands, theatresports etc. which are such a part of campus life but aren't bringing in any money.

And they're leftist because the views they hold are that of the most left of the major political parties, they're fuckheads because they scoff at me when I refuse to sign their petitions.
I think you're confusing the Union with some members of the SRC here. And yes, some of the people supporting the anti-VSU cause are complete tools, who hold extremely radical views. But most of them aren't, and don't forget the saying about focusing on the message, not the messenger.

Z

Zeppelin

the rally will do nothing to change the governments opinion.
Well said. GO VSU! Slightly more expensive food > $600 in stupid student fees for a union I don't give a shit about.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I don't find it suprising that the private shops in Wentworth can compete. They offer better stuff, for the same price, as does pretty much every other shop in the city.

As for the NDA, I have an EXAM scheduled on the day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)