In class Essays / Artists for your HSC exam. (1 Viewer)

MrsLucia

HSC
Just wondering, because my friends have different experiences to em with this, so let me know what happens at your school...

At MY school, which is quite small, we have to do at least 10 essays (with 3 different artists for each one) between the beginning of Year 11 and end of Year 12.
So then by the HSC we have built up knowledge of lots of artists and experienced essays from all three areas (conceptual framework, etc.) and we can study up on the ones we wrote about best.

I think it's a pretty good system but we have done a LOT of essays- and our art teacher tells us this is normal?
But my friend at a private school says she has NEVER done one essay in class or for an assessment task.

SO what do you guys do?
Do you just choose artists before the exams and study up on them or...?
:)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yea, that sound about the same as my art class, roughly 5 essays a year, some as take home assessments some under exam conditions. If you never write essays for art, i imagine your HSC exam responses would not be as good as they could be.

LinzyHodge

HSC
Same as -may-cat-, did about 5 essays a year as part of assessment tasks, etc.

I found the easiest way for me was to pick 5 or 6 artists, and try to consistently use them through different essay questions (they have to be suited, of course.) That way you have in depth knowledge of 6 artists and you have practice with putting the info you have into different questions.

I usually always stuck with the same kind of questions anyway (post-modern.)

MrsLucia

HSC
Well I talked to another friend from the same school as the one who 'has never done an art essay', and she said they choose their artists and do the same artists in every essay they do.

My art teacher says that we do different artists every time (we have to) so that we gain knowledge for the unseen artists part of the exam.
I'm not too worried- I know the formula for an art essay back to front by now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)