induction conclusions (1 Viewer)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
How does your teacher make you conclude inductions?

The hsc exam committee don't like typical textbook conclusions like since it is true for n=1 it is true for n=2 etc, therefore it is true for all positive integers:

The following is from the HSC exam committee:

---------------------------

I would like to comment on the induction part of the question.

It has come to my attention that many teachers are training their students to write some form of the following mantra at the end of induction problems.

The statement is true for n=1 and hence is true for n=2. The statement is true for n=2 and hence is true for n=3. The statement is true for n=3 and hence is true for n=4 and so on. Hence the statement is true for all integers n≥1 (by induction).

In many cases the words 'by induction' are omitted.

It needs to be pointed out that

(a) No marks are awarded for this mantra in the marking guidelines for the HSC.

(b) Much time is wasted writing it

(c) Most importantly, the above mantra, especially if the word induction is left out, is at best misleading.

There is a logical (and subtle) difficulty in trying to argue that because the statement is true for any positive integer n, it follows that it is true for all positive integers n. The axiom of induction is needed to fix this difficulty.

It would be better both mathematically, and for the students themselves, if they ended induction proofs with the simple statement

Hence the statement is true for all n≥1 by induction.

I might add that students who persist in writing this mantra actually LOSE marks in our discrete Mathematics courses at University, so teachers are not doing their students any service, either in the short term (HSC marks) or in the long term. I (and others) have been complaining about this for a long time but without success.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Weren't those comments from like 10 years ago lol

Makematics

HSC
How does you teacher make you conclude inductions?

The statement is true for n=1 and hence is true for n=2. The statement is true for n=2 and hence is true for n=3. The statement is true for n=3 and hence is true for n=4 and so on. Hence the statement is true for all integers n≥1 (by induction).
My teach has always said for us to write this :eek:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Weren't those comments from like 10 years ago lol
Yeah. Lol.

Sorry for dredging it up again. But it's still an issue. Some teachers are very stubborn.

Last edited:
HSC
Hence true for all integers by mathematical induction.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
The statement is true for n=1
If the statement is true for n=k, then it is true for n=k+1
Therefore it is true for all integers n => 1 by Mathematical Induction

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
What annoys me is students who end the inductive step with the statement 'therefore true for n=k+1' without any indication of the dependence of this statement on the assumption.
For this to be correct it must be 'therefore true for n=k+1 WHEN TRUE FOR n=k'.

Currybear

HSC
How does your teacher make you conclude inductions?

It needs to be pointed out that

(a) No marks are awarded for this mantra in the marking guidelines for the HSC.

Could you link a document proving this :) ?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I remember the teacher got us to write a long paragraph spanning 8 lines.

ceetoo

HSC
I was told the minimum statement required by markers was "Therefore the proposition is true by mathematical induction".

Web Addict

HSC
Are you allowed to write, "Hence, true for all integers by PMI?" (By the way, PMI stands for process of mathematical induction.)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The statement is true for n=1
If the statement is true for n=k, then it is true for n=k+1
Therefore it is true for all integers n => 1 by Mathematical Induction
I think you meant to say something like: Since it is true n = k+1 if true for n = k >= 1, the statement is therefore true for all integers n >= 1 by (the principle of) mathematical induction.

braintic

HSC
N/A
I think you meant to say something like: Since it is true n = k+1 if true for n = k >= 1, the statement is therefore true for all integers n >= 1 by (the principle of) mathematical induction.
Sy123's statement is correct. Your statement really doesn't provide an initial condition.
But its all moot - as previously stated, no conclusion is required.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Sy123's statement is correct. Your statement really doesn't provide an initial condition.
But its all moot - as previously stated, no conclusion is required.
On reflection, you and Sy123 are both correct. But I was referring to his middle line, which in conjunction with the 1st are sufficient and acceptable. I was not suggesting the initial condition was not required.

Last edited:

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Nah guys ive actually talked to the head HSC director and he said that from 2011 onwards no marks will be deducted for ever not including the step 3 or the induction conclusion in any circumstances. You dont even have to write step 1, step 2 etc.. just solve n=1 and then solve it and done you WILL get the full "marks" and if I was you I would spend that extra time on the last question of the exam.

Combo

beast
HSC
Nah guys ive actually talked to the head HSC director and he said that from 2011 onwards no marks will be deducted for ever not including the step 3 or the induction conclusion in any circumstances. You dont even have to write step 1, step 2 etc.. just solve n=1 and then solve it and done you WILL get the full "marks" and if I was you I would spend that extra time on the last question of the exam.
not sure if you can trust this guy...

braintic

HSC
N/A
I wasn't aware that there was a position called 'Head HSC Director'. With that over-arching title, I doubt he would know specifics about mathematics papers.
What you have described has always been the case - there is nothing special about 2011. There has never been a requirement to write step 1, etc., and I certainly hope there are no teachers who require that in induction proofs. But my recollection is that your step 3 is the most important step - the inductive step. Wasn't it (1) test n=1 (2) assume true for n=k (3) prove true for n=k+1 (4) conclusion??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)