Infinity (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Infinity - Says it all. It is the endless, infinite (lol) and amazing character and mathematical term/symbol. What does infinity mean to you? Have you ever been confronted by something infinite or had to use the concept in a mathematical equation?

P.S. Please do not try to describe infinity in numbers :D...

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Limits to infinity are often encountered - from my experience in curve sketching and finding horizontal assymptotes. What strikes me as fascinating is that there are an infinite array of numbers between 1 and 2 and between 1 and 100...etc.

shaon0

HSC
Limits to infinity are often encountered - from my experience in curve sketching and finding horizontal assymptotes. What strikes me as fascinating is that there are an infinite array of numbers between 1 and 2 and between 1 and 100...etc.
In integration, you can integrate to infinite

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Infinity - Says it all. It is the endless, infinite (lol) and amazing character and mathematical term/symbol. What does infinity mean to you? Have you ever been confronted by something infinite or had to use the concept in a mathematical equation?
According to someone, approaching asymptotically to infinity is like dying without actually hitting death LOL :p

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Infinite is a paradox. (or infinity)

There is countable infinites, and uncountable infinites.

One bigger than the other.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Trying to grasp the concept of infinity is very difficult.

Imagine Infinite time....

prime-factor

HSC
Infinity as has been echoed earlier is extremely useful for its countless mathematical purposes.

I think that being exposed to a reality where nearly everything one can think approaches a finite existence is the reason why comprehending something infinite is so mind-boggling.

I think viewing it as a concept is the real key here, as opposed to contemplating it's existence.

HSC
my maths teacher asked me this
How many numbers between 1 and 2.... i answer infinity
then... how many numbers between 1 and 100.... infinity???
apparently not.. he says some infinities are bigger than others

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
my maths teacher asked me this
How many numbers between 1 and 2.... i answer infinity
then... how many numbers between 1 and 100.... infinity???
apparently not.. he says some infinities are bigger than others
There are infinities bigger than others (in fact, given an infinity, you can always construct a bigger one). However, your teacher is wrong: the cardinality of numbers between 1 and 2 is the same as 1 and 100.

The problem is that you have no knowledge of the formal definition of what infinity is, and this makes infinity tricky to deal with.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
There are infinities bigger than others (in fact, given an infinity, you can always construct a bigger one). However, your teacher is wrong: the cardinality of numbers between 1 and 2 is the same as 1 and 100.

The problem is that you have no knowledge of the formal definition of what infinity is, and this makes infinity tricky to deal with.

But the cardinality of Real numbers is greater than the cardinality of Rational numbers? Right?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
But the cardinality of Real numbers is greater than the cardinality of Rational numbers? Right?
Yes, but the cardinality of real numbers between any two numbers is the same.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i win times infinity plus one more than whatever you say

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Infinity can be used as a limit of integration.
I once used integration from zero to infinity as a limit to determinte the average height of particle from the ground to an infinite point in space which depended on its mass, the acceleration due to gravity and temperature.
And thus I will make the world whole again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)