Infinity (1 Viewer)

kev-

HSC
Why is (negative constant)^infinity undefined?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Because for a number:

That is the technical aspect of it.

Therefore if a is raised to a power of an undefined number (such as pronumeral variable x or infinity), then a must be greater than zero

deswa1

HSC
Why is (negative constant)^infinity undefined?
Look at it like this. (-x)^2 is positive. (-x)^3 is negative. In general, (-x)^2n is positive whilst (-x)^2n+1 is negative. The reason it is undefined is because of the fact that is infinity even (therefore (-x)^infinity is positive) or odd (negative)?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Actually, any number (positive or negative) to the power of infinity is undefined.

Even 1 to the power of infinity is undefined (people think it's still 1).

Tell me what you think about this 'proof':

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Actually, any number (positive or negative) to the power of infinity is undefined.

lol that equals e, silly billy!

Sanjeet

HSC

Seems right to me, can you explain a bit more?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

*Sketches graph on Geogebra and investigates*
*Sees asymptote*
mind=blown

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I remember seanieg89 saying something really funny before... something along the lines of:

"What is 1 to the power of chair?"

to prove his point.

Essentially, infinity isn't a number and can't be treated as such. Anything dealing with infinitismals is VERY sensitive.

ie: Consider an infinite series. If it is 'Conditionally Convergent', I can actually make it converge to ANY value I want it to with a specific permutation of the terms. But it is a permutation of INFINITE terms. This is called Riemann's Arrangement Theorem.

You can even make it diverge! A classic example of this is that by manipulating the Alternating Harmonic Series (which converges to ln2), we can make it converge to say 3/2 ln(2), which is most certainly false.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I remember seanieg89 saying something really funny before... something along the lines of:

"What is 1 to the power of chair?"

to prove his point.

Essentially, infinity isn't a number and can't be treated as such. Anything dealing with infinitismals is VERY sensitive.

ie: Consider an infinite series. If it is 'Conditionally Convergent', I can actually make it converge to ANY value I want it to with a specific permutation of the terms. But it is a permutation of INFINITE terms. This is called Riemann's Arrangement Theorem.

You can even make it diverge! A classic example of this is that by manipulating the Alternating Harmonic Series (which converges to ln2), we can make it converge to say 3/2 ln(2), which is most certainly false.
my head almost exploded when my lecturer showed me this

i <3 maths

(that's why i'm do accounting)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yep very nice. So many ways of proving that identity. A geometric way would be to use Upper and Lower Riemann sums for the ln(x) curve and to use the Squeeze Law (after a bit of re-arranging) very much like the 2009 HSC Q8(a).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)