Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
depends if you get caught. Reminds me of an hillarious story - decided not to publish it :p

Last edited:

ArtOfLosing

HSC
Evilo said:
From memory they have a limited number of outside carpark spaces. They have a fantastic bike shed though!!! Probably the closest carparks will be the Baldessin Parking Station, or the Kingsley Street Parking Station. From memory neither is secure lockup but Baldessin has cameras (and multi story). (if you wanted real secure lockup then you would need to park in the carpark behind johns - a fair distance)
The carparking situation at unilodge is a bit rediculous - they have about 30 spaces for 500 or so residents (and they are probably all taken so I don't like anyone's chances), and the spaces cost $15 a week which adds up to way more than the ANU parking. And unilodge residents aren't allowed a regular ANU permit for some screwed up reason. My sister and I both go to ANU and we share one car between us, we keep the car at Ursies where she lives but we had gotten the permit in my name, later we got a letter that said the permit was going to be cancelled since i lived at unilodge and they have their own parking system (which, as explained before is stupid), so we had to get a new permit in my sisters name which lead to painful conversations with the very un helpful people in the parking office... my sister has a temper.... in shorter words, Unilodge parking sucks.

all other bits of unilodge are fine though, just the parking is screwed up though. Oh, and the fact that they only offer a 52 week contract...

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Is it true that you can get textbooks for free from some colleges?

cmoggach

HSC
Hi all, just about to fax through me acceptance forms for Burton and Garren Hall. Was just wondering, is my ANU student number the same as my 7 digit Uni-ID that I recieved with my enrolment brochures?

Evilo

HSC
Eriny said:
Is it true that you can get textbooks for free from some colleges?
nope, well not that i knwo of. You can get discounted books from the 2nd years if you ask nicely.

Evilo

HSC
cmoggach said:
Hi all, just about to fax through me acceptance forms for Burton and Garren Hall. Was just wondering, is my ANU student number the same as my 7 digit Uni-ID that I recieved with my enrolment brochures?
sounds right - 7 digits, 1st number would be a 4? sounds about right

(maybe starts with 439 - although ive heard others with different numbers)

cmoggach

HSC
Evilo said:

thanks for the help Evilo, starts with a 451, sounds close enough for me.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
ArtOfLosing said:
The carparking situation at unilodge is a bit rediculous - they have about 30 spaces for 500 or so residents (and they are probably all taken so I don't like anyone's chances), and the spaces cost $15 a week which adds up to way more than the ANU parking. And unilodge residents aren't allowed a regular ANU permit for some screwed up reason. My sister and I both go to ANU and we share one car between us, we keep the car at Ursies where she lives but we had gotten the permit in my name, later we got a letter that said the permit was going to be cancelled since i lived at unilodge and they have their own parking system (which, as explained before is stupid), so we had to get a new permit in my sisters name which lead to painful conversations with the very un helpful people in the parking office... my sister has a temper.... in shorter words, Unilodge parking sucks.

all other bits of unilodge are fine though, just the parking is screwed up though. Oh, and the fact that they only offer a 52 week contract...

arrrghh far out. Don't tell me I'm going to have to leave my beautiful baby back in Melbourne if I don't get offer from UniLodge

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo said:

the second number seems to increase by 1 each year or so. i'm 441..., whereas my sister (4th year this year) is 421, i think.

oh and eriny, i saw that on FSN too. to my knowledge there's nothing like that at the ANU colleges. the co-op bookshop isn't too expensive though, and you save 10% off every book by becoming a member. plus plenty of books are available second-hand if you search around. plenty of arts courses don't even have prescribed textbooks, they just have bricks (bound, photocopied set of notes made up by the lecturer) that you buy for $20 or so from the department that the subject's in.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
humphdogg said:
oh and eriny, i saw that on FSN too. to my knowledge there's nothing like that at the ANU colleges. the co-op bookshop isn't too expensive though, and you save 10% off every book by becoming a member. plus plenty of books are available second-hand if you search around. plenty of arts courses don't even have prescribed textbooks, they just have bricks (bound, photocopied set of notes made up by the lecturer) that you buy for $20 or so from the department that the subject's in.
Okay, thanks. Just out of curiosity, is there any way of finding out what textbooks are required for each subject, or do I have to wait until the first lecture?

Evilo

HSC
its on the coop website, but i would wait until the 1st lecture. Some courses have $100 "optional" books, or books that the lecturer co-wrote etc and are just trying to plug. So if i was you i would wait.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Eriny said:
Okay, thanks. Just out of curiosity, is there any way of finding out what textbooks are required for each subject, or do I have to wait until the first lecture?
some courses have their required textbook on their handbook page (i'm guessing you've looked at all the handbook pages online for the subjects you're interested in).

once you've enrolled, you can head down to the co-op bookshop, which sells pretty much all the textbooks required. in the bookshop there's always several lists of the courses at ANU and their prescribed textbooks.

however, sometimes you really don't need to buy the prescribed textbook. the lecturer will tell you in the first lecture what the textbook needed is, what stuff you'll cover from it, and hopefully whether it's worth buying or not. if you can, try to find later year students who've done your course before - they can tell you whether you really need the textbook or not. a lot of courses you really don't need it: you can either just get by with lecture notes, or you can borrow the book from the library for the rare periods where you actually need it.

UchihaVegeta

HSC
I was just advised in email that if I am willing to accept it, I will receive an offer for a room in the AIHS (Australian International Hotel School) tomorrow.

All I know is that it's near the national library and old parliament house, with the privilege of having my own internet service provider there.

But I'm completely foreign to the place in every other aspect. Will it take a long time to get to the campus? Will the bus timetable for an early lecture in the morning clash with my breakfast time there? Are there any ANU students living there at all (academic mentors and such)?

I accepted it and asked these questions as well as for a transfer back into one of the catered ANU colleges in the near future, but not sure if that's possible for say...semester 2?

What do you guys think?

kretzy

HSC
UchihaVegeta said:
I was just advised in email that if I am willing to accept it, I will receive an offer for a room in the AIHS (Australian International Hotel School) tomorrow.

All I know is that it's near the national library and old parliament house, with the privilege of having my own internet service provider there.

But I'm completely foreign to the place in every other aspect. Will it take a long time to get to the campus? Will the bus timetable for an early lecture in the morning clash with my breakfast time there? Are there any ANU students living there at all (academic mentors and such)?

I accepted it and asked these questions as well as for a transfer back into one of the catered ANU colleges in the near future, but not sure if that's possible for say...semester 2?

What do you guys think?
Wow, so this must be one of the 'other' accommodation alternatives they're offering. If you don't mind me asking, how much did they say the rent would be and is it catered or un-catered?

Evilo

HSC
UchihaVegeta said:

What do you guys think?
I've been to AIHS and i can say its very nice. Its an old school building, but the rooms are big and they have their own bathrooms (cant guarantee that, but the room that i went in had one). They have internet access, big desks and a large workspace area. Its about a 15min bike ride to uni (you head north towards the main parliment road, over the bridge, then cut through national museum grounds to get to anu)- theres another way whihc i can show u on a map if you accept the offer. Tbh if the price is right, i would take it. Ask about meals though, because from memory those students (who reside at AIHS have cleaning duty etc). The place does have tv, bar in a common room area.
Any questions - pm me (or post here) and ill try and answer it

UchihaVegeta

HSC
For now, I read it as $277/week as compared with John's $259 and Burgmann's $287 (the least/most expensive catered ones at ANU), 3 meals included. But I'm not sure about other services such as laundary/phonecalls/internet etc yet. (They do charge for leaving your belongings there during school breaks though, $10/day)

Wow only 15mins on bike? I need to get myself a bike then, and how fast do you have to pedal to get there within 15 mins? From the way it looked on the map of canberra, I thought it could have been 30-40 minutes (if we include the time travelling inside the uni to get to the lecture theatre)

By the way, how much is a half-yearly/yearly student concession ticket for public transport at canberra?

http://accom.anu.edu.au/UAS/878.html

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
UchihaVegeta said:
For now, I read it as $277/week as compared with John's $259 and Burgmann's $287 (the least/most expensive catered ones at ANU), 3 meals included. But I'm not sure about other services such as laundary/phonecalls/internet etc yet. (They do charge for leaving your belongings there during school breaks though, $10/day)
ill ask my friend who lives there about those questions when she comes online.
UchihaVegeta said:
Wow only 15mins on bike? I need to get myself a bike then, and how fast do you have to pedal to get there within 15 mins? From the way it looked on the map of canberra, I thought it could have been 30-40 minutes (if we include the time travelling inside the uni to get to the lecture theatre)
I casually forgot to mention im a long distance runner :p Might take towards 20min, but is quite plausable when you get a route sorted. I looked it up on google maps - its 4km.
UchihaVegeta said:
By the way, how much is a half-yearly/yearly student concession ticket for public transport at canberra?
No idea sorry

Last edited:

amy236

HSC
hi everyone.. i've been accepted into john's for 2008, doing the BA Arts (International Relations). i move in on the 17th and was just wondering if thats when everyone moves in or if later years move in earlier?

Evilo

HSC
i'm johns second year - i move in on wednesday the 20th.
It gives the newbies enough time to adjust to johns and the surroundings. :)
See you @ toga!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)