Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Well if you're looking for an alternative, I cancelled my place at John XXIII College several days ago. They might have a spot open, so if you're desperate you could try and nab my spot there. ;)

Evilo

HSC
lol considering the popularity of johns, i'm sure they've filled that (and another position i know of) already.

ArtOfLosing

HSC
At least UL isn't as expensive as anywhere in Sydney - I stayed at New College @ UNSW for a week while I did a course at NIDA and it cost about $400. It was catered but we didn't get meals everyday, the rooms were smaller and dirtier, there was no common room/games room, the tv was tiny and you had to unplug the foxtel if you wanted to watch a DVD... Johns, Ursies, UL (and I'm sure every other ANU place) is like 10x better.

kretzy

HSC
Well I gave UL a call today and the guy said there shouldn't be any problem getting out of it, though he still has to call me back with more details. I suspect they'll take at least a bit of cash, but we'll see. Driving up tomorrow so I'm quite excited!

Evilo

HSC
GOOD LUCK GUYS!
Enjoy your o-week. have a blast, and make the most of your university experience :)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
far out I have no where to live atm. If anyone is leaving any of the colleges, I'll gladly take your spot :). Also if anyone is living in an apartment which houses 2-3 people, I'd be interested in co-renting if there's vacancies. Hit me up ladies and fellas.

kretzy

HSC
Epic_Postings said:
far out I have no where to live atm. If anyone is leaving any of the colleges, I'll gladly take your spot :). Also if anyone is living in an apartment which houses 2-3 people, I'd be interested in co-renting if there's vacancies. Hit me up ladies and fellas.
The place I've just moved into has a spare room. I'll PM you some details and maybe we can catch up at uni if you're interested.

bassistx

HSC
How hard is it to get into B&G?
I really really really don't want to end up at Fenner (or elsewhere).
So I guess my question is, can you pay people to move out? lol. How hard is it to swap rooms?

blacksunset

HSC
there are alot of exchange kids from us an uk in b&g... and they either only stay for a semester or a year... so there should be rooms.

Evilo

HSC
there are usually spare rooms in 2nd semester at most halls. They just dont advertise many rooms available.

bassistx

HSC
So what happens for the first semester?
I think that's the one that's more important. That's when everybody gets to know each other, make friends, explore, etc. Living far from the uni would be a nightmare for the 1st semester. Especially seeing as I have no sense of direction at all lol.

I don't understand why they wouldn't advertise the rooms. Don't they want to get paid? Kind of silly...

Evilo

HSC
So what happens for the first semester?
I don't really understand what you mean, but the 1st semester students either go back overseas (exchange), some people get sick, some people decide on campus accom is not for them, others transfer. These people are a minority, but a few place do open up.

I think that's the one that's more important. That's when everybody gets to know each other, make friends, explore, etc. Living far from the uni would be a nightmare for the 1st semester. Especially seeing as I have no sense of direction at all lol.

Spot on, I think its part of the experience. :)

I don't understand why they wouldn't advertise the rooms. Don't they want to get paid? Kind of silly...

No idea, well i know eveywhere except for johns did (i found a pdf hidden on the anu website), Its about being proactive, and getting out there and telling them you want to live there (rather than them advertising). But yep i see your point

bassistx

HSC
Oh, I meant what happens to the students who are not exchange students? lol.. Permanent students, where do they go for the 1st semester? Don't they have priority? If exchange students can get in, then it shouldn't be an issue for locals, right?

Evilo

HSC
This is where the controversy occurs because they are getting rooms over interstate students. I'm not sure if they have priority, but i've heard unofficial rumours of internationals being given 1st preference. I spose its a hard position for the anu, i mean they've stuffed up [this year] and taken more students than they can handle, and now they've got to give preference to someone. In this case its probably to maintain their international credability????
I'm probably making assumptions here, so dont sue me anu (if you're reading ;) )

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
That really sucks. I can't even think of anything to add to that.

But I do have a question lol.

It said in the handbook (B&G) that there was a data port in your room so you could connect your own computer.
However, I remember you saying that the internet signals are very very erm.... small? Distant? Useless? I can't find the word. But yeah, the signal isn't strong.
So you can connect through your room to like, the database and stuff, but not the net?
If that makes any sense :)

Evilo

HSC
Data ports is hardwired, and therefore fast. Wireless is sketchy (mainly because it was designed not to reach residential buildings)

Data port will give you access to everything (i don't do wireless), but wireless will give you free internetif you can get a signal.

bassistx

HSC
Oh, I get it. Like stealing cable TV, for free :)
That makes sense.

Considering desk space, what would be better - laptop/notebook or PC? Tower, of course.

Last edited:

wendus

krawr.
HSC
guys i went down to anu the other day and visited most of the colleges.
i plan to stay at burgmann (however expensive it is), just cos of all the super smart people there. but i hear bruce is also awesome.

also, never go to johns, unless you're a jock and like to get your liver pumped every friday night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)