Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

sparkerasp

HSC
If I do go, I plan on Bruce Hall or Ursula Hall for catered/uncatered (what's a "Bruce Hall Meal?" for $5.50).

Another uncatered option I like is Fenner Hall.

In regards to the internet costs, if you use the university computers, is it still 1cents per megabyte or does no cost apply at all? :shy:

Also in regards to accomodation, I'll most likely be driving down there (live in N.S.W.) and am very confused with all the parking details such as 'surface permits', 'parking stations' and 'college resident parking'.
Around how much does it cost to park at the uni for one year?

According to this http://transport.anu.edu.au/?pid=222#SURFACE It costs from $165 to $435 per year. That sounds rather expensive. Am I right in these figures? Is there another one for the college residences or is that it? Which one should I apply for?

Last edited:

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
sparkerasp said:
If I do go, I plan on Bruce Hall or Ursula Hall for catered/uncatered (what's a "Bruce Hall Meal?" for $5.50).
I believe you are referring to a casual meal. Your rent includes a meal component of 21 meals a week, but if say you would like to have a friend over for a meal, it will cost your guest $5.50 per meal

sparkerasp said:
In regards to the internet costs, if you use the university computers, is it still 1cents per megabyte or does no cost apply at all? :shy:
You get a quota of 10MB per day using the university computers. This amount is cumulative up to a maximum of 80MB.

sparkerasp said:
Also in regards to accomodation, I'll most likely be driving down there (live in N.S.W.) and am very confused with all the parking details such as 'surface permits', 'parking stations' and 'college resident parking'.

According to this http://transport.anu.edu.au/?pid=222#SURFACE It costs from $165 to $435 per year. That sounds rather expensive. Am I right in these figures? Is there another one for the college residences or is that it? Which one should I apply for?
The figures are more or less correct. The lower figure of $165 is the amount that applies to college residents, although you will only be allowed to park in spots allocated to your particular college, and this is usually near your college.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Ero said:
Hey all

I am looking at making Johns my first preference and I would just like to know what protocols i have to follow. I understand two references need to be sent to the college along with a passport sized photo.

But by when? And where to? Do i just send a general email to the college or do they want post or some other crazy system?

Is there anything else I should know about before applying.
Johns needs to be your first preference for accom when you apply. Mail your references/photo to the college, to be safe I e-mailed them mentioning it had been sent and requested that they contact me when it arrived. It's listed on the website in more detail.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
sparkerasp said:
If I do go, I plan on Bruce Hall or Ursula Hall for catered/uncatered
Just to add what Khing said - bruce/johns/ursies/burgmann are all catered colleges (i.e. 21 meals are included in the price). Fenner/B&G/UL etc are all self catered (you have kitchens and you cook yourself)

Also in regards to accommodation, I'll most likely be driving down there (live in N.S.W.) and am very confused with all the parking details such as 'surface permits', 'parking stations' and 'college resident parking'.
Around the back of the colleges it's usually around ~$150, the 'secure' lockup carpark behind johns/burgmann/ursula is ~$500.

If you stay at college you need to buy a 'college resident parking' sticker.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Sammy-Blue said:
They say 1/2hr interview although mine was over after about 10.
wow they did the full half hour for me. But from memory yours was a phone interview? Mine was the first interview in sydney at 9am, maybe they enjoyed my company? :p

Sammy-Blue

HSC
sparkerasp said:

Edit: I was up all night doing statistics, leave me alone khing

Surface permit: Not really for residents, it lets you park in "permit" areas around the uni.
Resident permit: Park in the allocated resident parking around the colleges
Parking Station: You get a reserved space in one of the multistories.

B&G/Bruce are a bit of a walk from the nearest one. Burgmann/Johns/Ursies are next to Dickson. UL is near Kingsley St. You pay less if you park on the roof. Unless you are paranoid about people touching your car or OCD about leaving it in the sun like I am, there's not much point in paying the extra to keep it in the stations.

Last edited:

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Sammy-Blue, the ANU Owned and Operated colleges (Bruce, B&G, Ursula, Fenner) has their internet at $10 per GB (1c per meg)

Ero

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Johns needs to be your first preference for accom when you apply. Mail your references/photo to the college, to be safe I e-mailed them mentioning it had been sent and requested that they contact me when it arrived. It's listed on the website in more detail.
To what extent are these references references?

Are they just the contact information for two specific people or are they supposed to actually be written references detailing in the referees opinion why I would make a good resident at Johns?

Thanks for the help man.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
AppleThief said:
I also have a question (I think the answer's fairly obvious, but anyway...)

If we are applying for Burgmann/Johns as a second preference (behind Bruce), do we still need the references?
No, you won't be considered (for Johns).

Ero said:
To what extent are these references references?

Are they just the contact information for two specific people or are they supposed to actually be written references detailing in the referees opinion why I would make a good resident at Johns?

Thanks for the help man.
You need both the contact info and a written opinion.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
as i understand it, you would not be considered at all, ie Johns must be your first preference.

It does not really matter how quickly you apply as long as you are in before the due date. Selection is (theorectically) based on merit.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
khing said:
It does not really matter how quickly you apply as long as you are in before the due date. Selection is (theorectically) based on merit.
Not necessarily true - the interviews occur in December before the Accommodation applications close. If you apply for Johns after that, you've reduced your chance of getting in

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
AppleThief said:
Actually, that reminds me. Do all colleges do interviews, or is it only the ones that also require references?
I know johns does.... i think thats all

AppleThief said:
Also, what do they ask you?
Sports, Arts, interests, Hobbies, leadership etc....
Do you think you will fit in at college/Do you get homesick etc.
Do you smoke? drink? etc

They pretty much read your cv and ask questions based on that.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Davo1111 said:
Not necessarily true - the interviews occur in December before the Accommodation applications close. If you apply for Johns after that, you've reduced your chance of getting in
I acknowledge my ignorance of Johns. Apparently they do things differently.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Davo1111 said:
Not if you have a phone interview.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
This is a request to all of you who are currently residing at johns, what sort of extracurricular activities are/were you involved in that they seemed to be interested in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)