• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Inherited $5000, wat do do? (2 Viewers)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
You small minded people should really get out of your little cardboard box once in a while. Usury is a no no in many religions but still happens.

"Usury (in the original sense of any interest) is scripturally and doctrinally forbidden in many religions. Judaism forbids a Jew to lend at interest to another Jew. It's forbidden in Islam. The most recent Catholic teaching on usury is by Pope Benedict XIV in his Vix Pervenit from 1745 which strictly forbids the practice, though given the modern day Catholic Church's investments in the banking industry, the prohibition has to be regarded as a dead letter.

In the modern world Islamic teachings against Usury probably have the widest influence, and specialized codes of banking have developed to cater for Muslim investors wishing to obey Qur'anic law; see: Islamic banking.

Usury has been denounced by almost every major spiritual leader and philosopher of the past three thousand years. Plato, Aristotle, Cato, Cicero, Seneca, Plutarch, Aquinas, Jesus, Muhammad and Moses are just a few.

"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usury
Hahahaha.... the jews not profiting by investment returns.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Judaism forbids a Jew to lend at interest to another Jew.
Why can't I laugh at the jews... the words hypocrits somehow pops into my mind with that. The fact that it only forbids against other jews makes it seem less like religious beliefs than it does a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" boys club.

Last edited:

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Raiks said:
2.5% Interest?

Does that mean I can claim previous losses against that interest? Is that 2.5% in anyway linked to any form of inflation index? Are governments all going to hell because they tax people more than 2.5%? Can I claim jihad against my bank manager for charging me more than 2.5% on my car loan?

Well Soha, you're still not providing me any argument against that point someone made about you being an absolute idiot.
can u fuck off?
i dont have to explain anything to you
ive already done what i can..and ur just being a bitch and making fun of it
if u dont like it or agree with it.. good..
you dont have to
but this is my life..my beliefs and i choose to follow them..i understand them and i believe they are perect
so..u can think im an idiot..and thats good..because i dont care..

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
pete_mate said:
so what about capital gains, is that interest? futures? dividends?

it may have been relevant when all someone owned was a donkey but nowadays its retarted to follow that technichality. for example, in the christian bible it says people arent allowed to wear clithing of more than 1 thread.

thanks for the laugh though, tis amongst the stupidest things ive ever heard.
its stupid to you but not to me and alot of other people..infact 1.35billion in the world
i find alot of things stupid in life..what otehr people do..how they live ..but i get the fuck over it..mind myown buisness and i respect their choices and move on

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
though i dont really understand the reasoning behind it, i find it quite interesting to see that you guys have a religious standpoint on it.
i dont really think you could call soha an idiot because of the religious tradition she follows, just accept that we see things in different ways and move on.

S

Shuter

cro_angel said:
though i dont really understand the reasoning behind it, i find it quite interesting to see that you guys have a religious standpoint on it.
i dont really think you could call soha an idiot because of the religious tradition she follows, just accept that we see things in different ways and move on.

The question is though, can something be a religious belief, if it is actually something that was just made up to suit thier own purpose and has little basis in the actual religious document.

For example, I could say it is my religious belief that I have a right to steal from anyone, that I believe in survival of the fittest and through any means possible to acheive this. It is easy to invent rules, but it is retarded to follow someone elses rules when the rules themself have no logic behind it. I grant that the no usuary rule could be a religious belief, what I do not accept, is that some people have just invented the figure "2.5%" out of thin air.

So tell me soha, you think your entire religion and beliefs are perfect, to the letter? That's not religion, that's fanatism. Please provide evidence to me that the "perfect" figure for acceptable interest isn't 1%, or 5%, or 2.49%, or 2.50000001%?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Raiks said:
Why can't I laugh at the jews... the words hypocrits somehow pops into my mind with that. The fact that it only forbids against other jews makes it seem less like religious beliefs than it does a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" boys club.
Obviously your grasp of english and the definition of the term "hypocrite" is different from almost every other english speaker in the world, but that's ok english is an evolving language. You just have to remember some words have pretty set definitions already.

Get out into the world and see some different cultures, you'd be surprised how boys clubbish some places can be. To you almost any religion that requires belief in their version of god and heaven would be "hypocritical" and a boys club so it's ok, maybe one day you'll step back and have an open minded look at things.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Firstly as you point out, Judaism forbids a Jew to lend at interest to another Jew. But it doesn't forbid a Jew to lend at interest to another non-Jew... I'm sure you can see something hypocritical in that somewhere, can't you?

Not every religion is hypocritical. I'm not going to draw on particular religions but most revolve around treating the fellow man, meaning every person whether they share your faith or not... I'm not going to make huge general accusations, all I was saying was that regarding interest payments and interest earnt, the way Wikipedia spells it out seems to conclude that when it comes to money Jews are hypocrits, that or the Jews are getting a rough deal when it comes to what's written for the wikipedia entry.

And for that last part, I'm not going to get up you and make a big point about you being wrong, but just a little tidbit of information: I've spent most of my life living in 12 different cities in five countries, speaking 3 languages and having a passport so decorated it looks like it spent a day in a pre-school art session.... so don't tell me to get out into the world and get cultured.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Raiks said:
Firstly as you point out, Judaism forbids a Jew to lend at interest to another Jew. But it doesn't forbid a Jew to lend at interest to another non-Jew... I'm sure you can see something hypocritical in that somewhere, can't you?
Not at all, hypocritical would be someone professing to believe in a faith that does not allow you to drink alcohol, goes around enforcing the no alcohol law and then ducks down to the pub for a beer, that is hypocrisy.
The jews say you should not charge another jew, now if a jew goes out and charges interest to another jew THAT would be hypocrisy. They believe that charging interest to their own is wrong, nothing hypocritical about charging non-jews interest because it is allowed and they believe it is allowed. You still don't seem to undersand the definition of hypocrisy or what a hypocrite is, nothing wrong with saying you won't rip off your own kind and then not ripping them off.

Raiks said:
Not every religion is hypocritical. I'm not going to draw on particular religions but most revolve around treating the fellow man, meaning every person whether they share your faith or not... I'm not going to make huge general accusations, all I was saying was that regarding interest payments and interest earnt, the way Wikipedia spells it out seems to conclude that when it comes to money Jews are hypocrits, that or the Jews are getting a rough deal when it comes to what's written for the wikipedia entry.
I don't think it was rough at all, you'd be surprised what some other religions make you do. Scientologists for one.

How would you feel about starving and being told you won't get food unless you convert to christianity, that is basically what is happening with a lot of the relief aid that the churches push out, you convert you get food, have a dose of preaching in your weakest moment, not very caring in my mind.

Raiks said:
And for that last part, I'm not going to get up you and make a big point about you being wrong, but just a little tidbit of information: I've spent most of my life living in 12 different cities in five countries, speaking 3 languages and having a passport so decorated it looks like it spent a day in a pre-school art session.... so don't tell me to get out into the world and get cultured.
So you would have obviously seen the esoteric and occultish symbols in many churches around the world with local pagan significance to them that clearly break many of the rules of the bible if you look, or perhaps some countries where the idolising of leaders is so close to being a religion it's scary.

Like I said I find no hypocrisy in looking out for your own as per their writings. Good luck marrying people of certain religions without converting first, all men are equal in those religions too but obviously not equal enough when it comes time to marry between religions.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
You're missing my point about the interest. I'm talking about the point that Judaism follows ursary where it is is wrong to lend at interest, yet the Jews find it quite fine and dandy to go out and charge non jews interest. Now unless I'm wrong, the jews do believe in a thing called tolerance, and isn't that whole interest debacle not showing a tolerance of other peoples beliefs by enforcing different rules against them.

Now, I don't believe in any absolute truths. This makes me uneasy about the subject of religion. I don't think any religion has a monopoly on the truth but I can't exactly say that any religion is 100% wrong because that would require an alternative truth to rebut that religion's claims. All I want to know is how the Jews can justify having one rule for themselves and another for others.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Raiks said:
You're missing my point about the interest. I'm talking about the point that Judaism follows ursary where it is is wrong to lend at interest, yet the Jews find it quite fine and dandy to go out and charge non jews interest. Now unless I'm wrong, the jews do believe in a thing called tolerance, and isn't that whole interest debacle not showing a tolerance of other peoples beliefs by enforcing different rules against them.

Now, I don't believe in any absolute truths. This makes me uneasy about the subject of religion. I don't think any religion has a monopoly on the truth but I can't exactly say that any religion is 100% wrong because that would require an alternative truth to rebut that religion's claims. All I want to know is how the Jews can justify having one rule for themselves and another for others.
ive asked a jewish friend of mine
they said we dont rip each otehr off
like thou shall not rip of thy brother
thats what they told me but they werent being serious..
but its one way to look at it

Legham

HSC
uhh... this thread ended almost a year and a half ago.. i doubt he/she is still looking for something to do with the $5000 :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)