Internal Marking (1 Viewer)

KeiKurono

HSC
Hi,
When recording our internal marks do the teachers round up, down, or just leave the mark as is? For example, I got 58/60 for an assessment task weighted 10% which means I got 9.67. Is this rounded up to a full 10 or just left as it is?
Also does your assessment mark even matter? I know people have frequently said that it doesn't but hypothetically if you went to a low ranked school and came first with an assessment mark of 70, then achieved an external mark of 98, you're still screwed aren't you? Doesn't the 70 get added to the 98 and then halfed in order to get your moderated assessment mark which becomes 84 (which is a pretty bad mark considering you achieved a 98)?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
"When recording our internal marks do the teachers round up, down, or just leave the mark as is?For example, I got 58/60 for an assessment task weighted 10% which means I got 9.67. Is this rounded up to a full 10 or just left as it is?"

This actually depends on your school-I think the best thing you can do is ask your teacher how many decimal places they record your internal marks to. However, I think it is unlikely teachers could round down internal marks, the most likely scenario is either leaving the mark as it is or round up.

"Also does your assessment mark even matter? I know people have frequently said that it doesn't but hypothetically if you went to a low ranked school and came first with an assessment mark of 70, then achieved an external mark of 98, you're still screwed aren't you? Doesn't the 70 get added to the 98 and then halfed in order to get your moderated assessment mark which becomes 84 (which is a pretty bad mark considering you achieved a 98)? "

Actually, in the hypothetical scenario you have highlighted, the student could probably get a 98 external mark, because the internal assessment marks does not matter-it is only used to calculate the ranks and the relative gaps between the marks. So basically, if you are first internally, and you get 98 in external, you will get 98 for the internal as well-the internal mark is the highest examination mark(Hypothesising you are rank 1)-so you are likely to get 98 overall. However, going to a low ranked school and internally get 70 and then get 98 in external exam is highly unlikely considering usually assessments are easier at lower rank school, to jump from two bands in the two month gap between trials and final external exams is a highly unrealistic scenario.

Internal assessment marks do matter because they are used to calculate your rank, and you want the highest internal rank possible at the end of the year for each of your subjects so you are less likely to be pulled down by a poor cohort performance and more likely to pulled up if your cohort performs really brilliantly. They also help to assess your personal understanding of the subjects you do-so can tell you mistakes you've made and feedback to gain from to improve your understanding and results. My advice is to try your absolute best in every single assessment task you can and best wishes for you to have brilliant results for the HSC year:) study hard:)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi,
When recording our internal marks do the teachers round up, down, or just leave the mark as is? For example, I got 58/60 for an assessment task weighted 10% which means I got 9.67. Is this rounded up to a full 10 or just left as it is?
Each school, and possibly even the faculty/subject within the school could have their own policy on this. Most, I suspect, do what happens at my school - and that is rounds only at the end as that allows for those small differences between students to become apparent which are so important in the ranking process.

Also does your assessment mark even matter? I know people have frequently said that it doesn't but hypothetically if you went to a low ranked school and came first with an assessment mark of 70, then achieved an external mark of 98, you're still screwed aren't you? Doesn't the 70 get added to the 98 and then halfed in order to get your moderated assessment mark which becomes 84 (which is a pretty bad mark considering you achieved a 98)?
NO - If that 98 was the top mark achieved on the exam then that person would end up with a final mark of 98 as their 70 would be moderated to the highest external mark of 98 and they keep their external mark of 98 giving them a final mark of 98. If there was a higher external mark - say 99 then that student would end up with external of 98 and internal of 99 (the mark of the highest external mark becoming the highest internal mark) ending with 98.5 which would be rounded to 99.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I think yor marks appear rounded on your report, but they keep the decimals in ores to discriminate between the ranks. I know mark wise, two of my friends ranked second, but they used decimal points to differentiate between who received the second award for economics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

braintic

HSC
N/A
Most likely, you school will record your mark as 58/60. Marks based on weightings are typically not recorded. Then when working out the assessment marks to be submitted, a simple formula is applied. For example: 0.1*(58/0.6) + 0.2*() + 0.3*() + 0.4*() if the weightings are 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%. However, some schools will first scale the different assessments based on difficulty (a process I completely disagree with).

The final assessment mark IS rounded - only whole number marks are submitted to the board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)