internal rankings and state rank? (1 Viewer)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
no im pretty sure that gaps count for jackshit, only ranks matter. you will definitely get the second highest external mark if you are second internally
No, this is a common misconception. Only first and last get the highest and lowest external mark respectively, everyone moderated in between reflective of the raw internal gaps.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
no im pretty sure that gaps count for jackshit, only ranks matter. you will definitely get the second highest external mark if you are second internally
Do some research, it's not that hard.

BlugyBlug

HSC
This is wrong. I believe the person who is ranked 1 gets the top external mark as their internal mark, and the person who is ranked last gets the worst external mark as their internal mark, and then everyone in the middle from second last to second place gets their internal marks adjusted between this range.
Yep, I'm 90% sure this is correct.
External mark = the mark you get in HSC exam
Internal mark = the mark your internal rank gets in the HSC exam (e.g. you are 2nd internally, your internal mark is the 2nd highest HSC exam mark of your cohort)

edit: close enough

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Internal mark = the mark your internal rank gets in the HSC exam (e.g. you are 2nd internally, your internal mark is the 2nd highest HSC exam mark of your cohort)
not exactly, they take into consideration gaps between internal ranks and apply them accordingly.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
No.

Probably the most held misconception in NSW.

Your moderated internal mark will be reflective of your cohorts performance. Now you won't necessarily be assigned the second highest mark, but it will be reflective of the gaps in the raw internal. That is what is given weight in the moderation process.

So coming second by 20% is worse than coming fifth by 5%.

Makematics

HSC
NF keep your head up. Some guy a few years ago was ranked like 5th for internal ranks for 4U maths, and then he absolutely demolished the externals and ended up with a state rank, along with the guy who was first internally :) so the message is that the people in front of you dont need state ranks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)