Internals Marks (1 Viewer)

Nuendo

HSC
I was ranked 2nd in my physics class by literally 0.002% behind 1st place. my teacher said BoS only accept rounded-off ranks, so she told me I was placed =1st when it came to submitting final ranks to the Board.

Is this true? because I heard on here that it's the marks that get looked at, not the ranks. and I'm just curious as to what will happen if I come 1st in the externals, the other dude gets my mark as his internals, fair enough, but then does that mean I have to settle with the second highest external as my internal? because as I said before, 0.002% is a bitch of a difference, lol just saying

wonmin

HSC
I was ranked 2nd in my physics class by literally 0.002% behind 1st place. my teacher said BoS only accept rounded-off ranks, so she told me I was placed =1st when it came to submitting final ranks to the Board.

Is this true? because I heard on here that it's the marks that get looked at, not the ranks. and I'm just curious as to what will happen if I come 1st in the externals, the other dude gets my mark as his internals, fair enough, but then does that mean I have to settle with the second highest external as my internal? because as I said before, 0.002% is a bitch of a difference, lol just saying
Sorry, not familiar with the whole process but DAYUM 0.002%. How many marks did your exam have.

I'm sure BOS would have a 'fair' way to cater these circumstances. But then again its BOS. No one trusts them anymore.

Scinery

HSC
so if the highest internal mark was 75 and the second highest was 65. then in the hsc the highest was 80, does that mean the person who got 65 end up getting 70?
something like that, yes. although it depends on how your school does overall

it's fair.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
so if the highest internal mark was 75 and the second highest was 65. then in the hsc the highest was 80, does that mean the person who got 65 end up getting 70?
Not quite. They don't maintain the actual numerical gap, they make sure all the gaps are kept in proportion.

If you are only 1 mark behind 1st, you'll usually only be within a mark or two of first after moderation.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

If the school has submitted the same mark for both of you and to be =1st that is what will have happened then you both need to work together because the top two exam marks will be averaged and that average mark will become your assessment mark. You do keep you own exam mark of course.

So

Student A (you) exam mark 98 (1st for your school)
Student B (him) exam mark 88 (2nd for your school)

means that you both get a school assessment mark 93 and you get 98 as your exam giving you 96 for the HSC while he will get (93 + 88)/2 = 91.

I am in the same situation for one of my subjects this year with equal firsts.

The last time I had equal firsts neither of them got the top exam mark but their assessment mark was still the average of the top two exam marks.

If the school decided to separate you and make you 2nd on the ranks then the normal procedure follows and with the above marks he would get (98 + 88)/2 = 93 but you would get an assessment mark of about 97 or even 98 due to the aligning and moderating processes because you are only one mark behind.

exiting

HSC
If I'm distinctly first in a subject, but I do not come first in the HSC, what happens there?

HSC
with the importance of gaps between ranks, what is stopping a teacher putting all their students really close together in the internal marks in order for the school to look good

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
with the importance of gaps between ranks, what is stopping a teacher putting all their students really close together in the internal marks in order for the school to look good
The range of internal moderated marks is set by the range of marks earned by that cohort in the external exams.

e.g.

class of 25 students.

school sends in range of 10 marks

but...

exam range is 55 marks (top 98 bottom 43)

thus the gaps are widened to reflect that exam range with the #1 student getting 98 for their assessment and #25 getting 43 and the others having their gaps widened to make that work so student #2 who was 1 mark behind might now be 3 marks and so on.

The 'relative' gaps stay the same not just the 'gaps' as they have to either close up, stay the same or widen depending on the range earned in the exam.

exiting

HSC
Hmmm... I hear teachers saying it's rare to see the student coming first not getting a higher HSC mark than someone ranked lower. True/false? How often if false?

Winn

HSC
Just curious, how can you have a 0.002% difference?
That would be an one mark difference if all the assessments have a total of 50000 marks!

Nelson.

HSC
Say im first in physics internally. What happens if i come second in exams and i take the person who came first's exam mark as my assessment mark BUT his/her exam mark is lower than my internal mark

if that makes sense

HSC
if they round off marks that means im =2nd in one of my subjects, yay yay yay :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)