Internals vs externals? (1 Viewer)

Aluminesis

HSC
Sorry if this has been asked before - I'm still a bit confused about how our internals and externals are used to calculate our ATAR D:

Say I have a rank of 20-ish/100-ish in my internals for maths, but I hardcore cram it for the HSC exam (like I'm doing now!) and get a half-decent mark that could be, say, the top 15 of my school's externals. Would that help redeem my internals slightly and give me a mark in between my internal assessment and external assessment? Or would someone ranked higher than me in the internals take my mark and be done with it?

I guess it also works vice versa. If I'm in the top 5 in economics in internals, but I slip up in the externals, what happens?

Hope someone can enlighten me. Any help greatly appreciated!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your internals count for 50% of your marks but because all schools set different tasks they are moderated using the exam marks as the guide.

You always keep your own external mark.

So if you do really well in your exam if must improve your results for two reasons - one you keep your own external mark and if you improve your cohort's average and total available marks will also rise thus helping you and everyone in your class.

Aluminesis

HSC
That's good news. I initially thought it was something like that, but I got confused when it came to ranks. Where do our internal ranks come into play then?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
That's good news. I initially thought it was something like that, but I got confused when it came to ranks. Where do our internal ranks come into play then?
When you sit your external exams, the highest mark there becomes the persons ranked first internal mark. And then the rest of the people in decsending order according to their ranks have their internal marks moderated accordingly to gaps, marks etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)