Internet Democracy (1 Viewer)

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
The technology for it is already available.

Direct democracy may finally be cost effective thanks to the internet. Basically, each citizen has a secure login, and is able to directly vote on key pieces of legislation. Of course voting would have to be voluntary given the volume of legislation people could chose to vote on.

Free access could be provided for low income people in librarys and/or other government buildings.

I don't really see it as an ideal system because I oppose all collectivism. But it would be a massive improvement if people could vote on major issues directly, rather than having politicians do whatever they please for 4 years.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
http://senatoronline.com.au/

I expect such a system would have mixed results. Potentially fullfilling all the wet dreams of the people who comment on news.com.au. More tax on the rich, more handouts, more protectionism, a world of violent authoritarian response to every problem. On the other hand abortion, gay marriage, marijuana would be legal, if the system reflected current public polling on these issues.

The budget + major infrastructure and works can't be trusted to the public.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
you need knowledge to make informed decisions and the majority of people cannot understand the information etc (politicians too)

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
you need knowledge to make informed decisions and the majority of people cannot understand the information etc (politicians too)
What nonsense. Politicians are chosen for their ability to make a convincing sales pitch, usually in the form of 30 second television grabs. Many of them are extremely ignorant and lazy, and don't even bother turning up to parliament half the time.

Also the voluntary system would filter out a lot of idiots. The most stupid people wouldn't bother to vote anyway.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
What nonsense. Politicians are chosen for their ability to make a convincing sales pitch, usually in the form of 30 second television grabs. Many of them are extremely ignorant and lazy, and don't even bother turning up to parliament half the time.

Also the voluntary system would filter out a lot of idiots. The most stupid people wouldn't bother to vote anyway.
I know man, thats why hate them.

Lots of stupid people are misinformed and opinionated..

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
I know man, thats why hate them.

Lots of stupid people are misinformed and opinionated..
and they make misinformed choices when they vote for politicians (who you admit are also bad), so why not cut out the middle man.

At the very least, internet democracy would not make things any worse.

If you think people are so stupid they can't make sensible political decisions, shouldn't you oppose all democracy? All this is doing is making it more democratic. I'm not a fan of democracy, but if we must have a government, it is at least the best way to chose the government.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Want to know who are even bigger idiots than politicians?

The public.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Funniest lolcat is the only thing I would entrust the internet to decide upon.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC

Michael Atkinson.

All im going to say on the matter.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think the example of California provides an indication of how effective something like this might be......

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Whilst the concept of a true democracy appeals to me greatly, most people are idiots. Do we really want idiots running the country? you also tend to get mostly extremists voting, why would you bother voting on legislation you dont really care about?

A better idea would be smaller "electorates" where say one in a thousand people can put themselves up for nomination to be able to vote on issues, but have no other real duties, unlike real politicans who need to devote their full time to it.

Either that or some sort of merit based way to vote. Certain jobs qualify you, or maybe minimum 4years military service, an IQ test, possibly one of those.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Either that or some sort of merit based way to vote. Certain jobs qualify you, or maybe minimum 4years military service, an IQ test, possibly one of those.
Or maybe only men who own property?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Or maybe only men who own property?
I dont know, surely someone can think up a good way to do this. We allready limit democracy as it is, not EVERYONE in Australia gets to even vote for who will represent them.

I feel a more direct form of democracy is needed, but i dont think we are ready yet for every citizen voting on every peice of legislation.

Cazic

HSC
If you don't mind paying for the public servants to do it, you could have a short quiz setup (multiple choice would be fine) that needs to be taken before you vote on each piece of legislation, where the quiz assesses a basic knowledge of what you're voting on. Quiz length/depth could vary depending on the seriousness of the legislation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)