• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Internet filtering: You can't opt-out (2 Viewers)

Will you be voting labor?

• Yes, because i support the internet filter

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Yes, but it has nothing to do with the filter

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • No, because i'm against the filter

Votes: 61 38.4%
  • No, i was never intending to vote labor.

Votes: 53 33.3%

• Total voters

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
zsa zsa said:
It's like saying my #1 vote for the LDP counted because if they had've been elected they would've blocked this bill. Also the ACT vote was a bit dicey, but thankfully Humphries got up in the end (a man well known for crossing the floor when appropriate, rather than to stir shit like Joyce).
Actually, it's not like that, because the Greens DID get elected (even if my vote didn't cause it in the end), while the LDP didn't.

Besides being a nihilistic and short-sighted political view, it ignores the fact that Greens already had a senate seat in NSW, so voting for them made a world of sense. And it will make sense again in 2010, because the Greens have a high probability of picking their senate seat back up.

Moreover, nobody is saying "I'm glad my vote counted" (can any one person really say that?), we're saying "I'm glad I voted for the Greens" because we feel vindicated by their actions against this bill.

Also, if Humphries is how you say, I'm glad he got elected over Joyce. Next election will be interesting, because Greens have the potential to steal the Libs's one senate seat in ACT.

withoutaface said:
Graney: He voted Greens but preferenced Labor, meaning his senate votes would have ended up with somebody voting in favour of this policy.
I am glad Labour got elected. I am just more glad Greens hold the balance of power in senate.

I certainly need to think more carefully about my vote in future, but it was a first time gig, yo.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
Graney: He voted Greens but preferenced Labor, meaning his senate votes would have ended up with somebody voting in favour of this policy. This incident has, however, further cemented my view that I'll always prefence the Greens above the ALP (thought obviously directing my votes to the Coalition first).

As a matter of interest, my evil Christian religious right god-fearing censorship loving right hand of Satan local member, Alex Hawke, has been saying this is a stupid idea since January.
Oh wow really? I better vote for that dude then. :rolleyes:

poWerdrY

HSC
it saddens me to think that by the next election, the whole population will have forgotten this stupid farce and vote rudd in again.

poWerdrY

HSC
oh and ive been hearing that howard also introduced this policy. surely, it wasnt as outrageous as this right?

newmz89

Beer
HSC
poWerdrY said:
it saddens me to think that by the next election, the whole population will have forgotten this stupid farce and vote rudd in again.
indeed :(

poWerdrY

HSC
Internet Filter Poll

This is an extension to the other thread. Just wanted to know whether this controversy will affect your voting intentions in the next federal election.

newmz89

Beer
HSC
Re: Internet Filter Poll

for me, it wont change my vote for the next election as i was never going to vote labor.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
poWerdrY said:
oh and ive been hearing that howard also introduced this policy. surely, it wasnt as outrageous as this right?
Of course not. The previous government had a policy of providing free filtering software to any person who requested it. This was the best way of filtering, and the best policy for Australians. The Howard Government was against ISP-level censorship.

ISP-level censorship is a Rudd policy. It's really a shame that back in November, before the election, people were so obstinate in their support for KRudd - all spin and no substance - that they didn't bother to read Labor policy documents that put clearly on the record their intent to censor our freedom of speech. (http://www.alp.org.au/download/now/labors_plan_for_cyber_safety.pdf)

For those who voted for KRudd, or supported Labor, you brought this upon yourself.

It's amazing how we take for granted that the government will always have a great deal of respect for individual rights and freedoms. It's not until you get a career bureaucrat trying to force a nanny state on us that we realise this really isn't the case.

poWerdrY

HSC
Enobarbus said:
For those who voted for KRudd, or supported Labor, you brought this upon yourself
yeh, i keep wanting to rub it into the labor voters. in a way, i want this to pass, just to say i told you so. but then, this internet filtering is to serious an issue to mess around with

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
lol get a room you two. Young Lib love is sickening.

pro-tip: people may not like Internet censorship, but Rudd/ALP still needed to be elected to quash your favourite penguin's power-trippin'.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
wah wah wah
baby cant have its bottle

My feeling is that the intertubes are more harmful than pokies. It is an unrivaled distraction - my parents never had to put up with this shit during uni. Worm hole. Time tube.
Slow it down Ruddz, rip its guts out, free us from this monster

poWerdrY

HSC
Trefoil said:
lol get a room you two. Young Lib love is sickening.

pro-tip: people may not like Internet censorship, but Rudd/ALP still needed to be elected to quash your favourite penguin's power-trippin'.
tbh, im not sure who i will vote in the next election. i hate rudd's guts, but then im not too fond of turnbull either. and id rather vote family first than greens, burrrrrhhh.

all i want is howard back. a politician that's not a damn populist.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
poWerdrY said:
tbh, im not sure who i will vote in the next election. i hate rudd's guts, but then im not too fond of turnbull either. and id rather vote family first than greens, burrrrrhhh.

all i want is howard back. a politician that's not a damn populist.
<3

Turnbull - he has the experience, and the guts, to lead us forward in this time of financial crisis, when our economy is faced with powerful countervailing forces.

Did you know, that in the past twelve years of the Howard Govt, real wages (after taking into account inflation), grew by 23%? In the preceding thirteen years of Labor, real wages actually fell.

poWerdrY

HSC
Enobarbus said:
<3

Turnbull - he has the experience, and the guts, to lead us forward in this time of financial crisis, when our economy is faced with powerful countervailing forces.
he has popularity and the potential to win the election, i'll give him that, but he's too weak-kneed to implement unpopular policies that are often needed to build the nation. and he's also too leftist - he deserves to be in the labor party.

Did you know, that in the past twelve years of the Howard Govt, real wages (after taking into account inflation), grew by 23%? In the preceding thirteen years of Labor, real wages actually fell
well, to be fair, alot of the economic growth experienced in the Howard era was due to (1) the resources boom and (2) the great foresight of Keating in his implementation of economics policies

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
poWerdrY said:
well, to be fair, alot of the economic growth experienced in the Howard era was due to (1) the resources boom and (2) the great foresight of Keating in his implementation of economics policies
I may have expected this from the loonie left, but not from you, comrade!

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Enobarbus said:
<3

Funny, because here I thought it was actually Kevin Rudd who was the Prime Minister leading us through this crisis.

Unless you're hoping for another financial crisis in 2 years. In which case, good luck with that.

Did you know, that in the past twelve years of the Howard Govt, real wages (after taking into account inflation), grew by 23%? In the preceding thirteen years of Labor, real wages actually fell.
The majority of the economic reforms that allowed Australia to prosper under the Howard government were enacted under those "13 years of Labour", you tool. Combine that with a resource boom in China and bam, there's your wage increase.

What did Howard give us? Weakened employee bargaining power and a war in the middle of nowhere?

Last edited:

poWerdrY

HSC
Trefoil said:
What did Howard give us? Weakened employee bargaining power and a war in the middle of nowhere?
i support greater employer bargaining power. increases the efficiency and productivity of the country.

i do not support the Iraq war.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
To be fair, if Labor were in power for the Howard years, they wouldve found something to blow it all on
Bluepolls
Gvt parenting assistants
No headace left untreated
Ethnic minority grants
neoCathedrals as schools

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Graney said:
I think the government has as much right to censor the internet as any other medium.

If anything, by not censoring the internet, and allowing free reign of what used to be, and the community expects to be, restricted material, they undermine all other forms of censorship.

It's a farcical situation where the government is banning the sale and possession of material in print form, when this material is available instantaneously to anyone with an internet connection.

Just the other day, I was delighted to find this highly controversial, banned literature available for free on Google books http://books.google.com.au/books?hl...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPP1,M1

I think if print media were invented today, in a post-electronic world, people would laugh at the idea of censoring it, without equal censorship being applied to the electronic media first.

If the government has the technological ability to censor the internet, it would seem only fair and consistent in line with their other, existing censorship policies, that they do so.
So you agree with censorship in general? You think books and the media and other literature should be censored?

HSC
GST, Reduced gun ownership, increased immigration, far better standard of living, far better growth, streamlined relationships with states, better ties with the US... etc

I know what you mean though but Howard actually did a *lot*

Massive surplus, future fund... etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)