• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

interview bomb (1 Viewer)

xtrant

HSC
hey guys,
i went to an interview the other day and apparently i wasnt talkative enough so i appeared "dumb"
so i was wondering how you guys would approach an interview? how long would you talk for and how do i appear less "dumb" and more outgoing?
thanks guys=D

akrinis

HSC
xtrant said:
hey guys,
i went to an interview the other day and apparently i wasnt talkative enough so i appeared "dumb"
so i was wondering how you guys would approach an interview? how long would you talk for and how do i appear less "dumb" and more outgoing?
thanks guys=D
Just answer the questions directly and try to be yourself - that's the most important thing, I think. It might help if you imagine what sort of questions the person interviewing you is going to ask; that way you can anticipate it and not become overly nervous. Then again, you won't know exactly what sort of questions they're gonna ask you, but some of them are obvious like why you want the job, etc. Limit your responses to under a minute and a half. Have firm handshakes - I'd imagine, that sometimes the interviewer will purposely give you a loose hand, be weary of that and act on it.

xtrant

HSC
the thing was the interviewer seemed to be so...strict and cold towards me which made me soo intimidated
do you think thats her tactic to try and find the perfect, happy chaps for the position?
and i did answer the questions but i have to admit that i didn't really prepare myself
i guess im just a bit peeved to actually be considered physically looking dumb:mad:

CieL

HSC
Depends on what the interview is for.

If it was for something professional I'd smile [more than laugh] and speak in a polite and engaging tone..

If it was for something crappy and something I don't want to spend my career in I'd pretty much laugh and joke my way through the interview.

As a supervisor that meets and trains new people all the time, you have to understand that it's not only you that's nervous.. the interviewer will also be nervous, wondering who they got to meet and wondering what kind of questions to ask the interviewee.. It's pretty much an awkward process and when you're the one trying to impress and make a good impression, you should be the one breaking the ice.

Usually when someone is not talkative enough, it's not because they're dumb, but perhaps because they're shy or somewhat antisocial lol

I have a feeling that they thought you were "dumb" because of other physical cues you were presenting..
eg. frowns, tilted head, crossed arms, etc..
Small things which may lead the interviewer to think you don't really know what was going on.

xtrant

HSC
(thanks alrinis and ciel )
nah the interview wasnt for any glamorous career
its just a normal holiday job that i need for the summer so it wasnt that i wasnt interested because i needed any job but i probably did cross my arms and the interviewer wasnt talking to me in eng because she expected me to talk to her in chinese and i was thinking maybe her eng wasnt great so i would put her at ease by talking in chinese exc. my chinese isnt that great so i guess that kinda impeded on my speech and my expressions i guess
i doubt she was nervous because she never smiled or fidgeted or anything
she was really matter of fact and cold
but maybe im just making excuses for my antisocialness or maybe i just cant get over the rejection lol

tbohlsennswssrg

Greenver_420
HSC
From eHow.com:

How to Practice for a Job Interview

By eHow Careers & Work Editor

Practice your interviewing technique so you look like you belong. Your practice will benefit your performance greatly. Here are some tips to help you prepare your presentation professionally.

Tips & Warnings

Practicing for an interview is much like readying yourself for a public speech. Your job is to sell yourself as the only one for the job. Be able to enumerate the specific reasons why.

Do not mention skills you do not possess. Your potential employer may test you.
If you don't understand a question, ask for clarification--you must do this anyway to survive on a job.

Remember not to offer any information that is not legally permissible. This includes information pertaining to sexual orientation, religious practice and race.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Appearing less dumb for an interview won't necessarily increase your chances of getting a job.

Personally, job interviews require you to do 2 things,

1) Make yourself sound as suitable for the job itself as possible (expierence wise, number of hours you want to work, etc)

2) Try and convince the interviewer that you'll be very compatible with the workplace and potential co-workers (this is easier said than done as some places will naturally put you at a disadvantage. I generally think EEO is a load of shit and employers are biased as fuck... Especially asian employers... I'm under the impression they all generally work the shit out of you and give u fuck all wages.. )

Anyway, good luck with your job search.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Sell yourself you retards.

You need to show the boss that you are the best person for the job. Be confident, friendly, sell your best aspects. When asked what your weakness is, come across as honest and don't say 'lol i dunno, nothing'

There are 3 things you need to go into an interview with. Prepared answers.
1. Why are you the best person for this job?
2. How would you describe yourself, what are your qualities?
3. What are your weaknesses?

People want to know that you can work as a team, but also that you can work without supervision. Tell them this. People want you to have time management skills, even if you don't, tell them you do. Give examples of your qualities. Don't just say 'i r real good at stuff', give real examples of your qualities at play.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
definitely prepare answers. after a few interviews, you'll realise they're all pretty much the same...

here are a few things that i've found useful:
  • smile!!!! even if you're nervous as hell, they all want to see those pearly whites
  • make eye contact. sometimes a panel will interview you -- try to give everyone an equal amount of eye contact as you're talking (even if it's mainly one person asking the questions)
  • if you know you're a quiet person, then really try hard to talk as much as you can. if you're someone who waffles and never shuts up, then focus on being clear and concise

good luck everyone!

xtrant

HSC
thanks guys for your advice =D
ill put them to good use from now on!! (im over being kinda annoyed at the employers comments now)
hope you guys can find/keep your jobs :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)