Intolerance: Christians vs. Atheists (2 Viewers)

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
Re: intolerance Christians vs. atheists

a lot of scientists are atheists because their work is disproving religion, but there are a lot who are also religious. i believe in science (i do chem bio and physics) and my friend said how can u believe in science and still think ppl have souls. some people can, others cant. its not that atheists are smarter, its just a lot of smart people see beyond the whole adam and eve, heaven and hell thing - im religious but liberal catholic - whole different thing. and people have proved that there are souls and proved reincarnation - but when you go against something like the church - like darwin did - there's a good chance you are going to be shot down because of the huge amount of followers

aussiechica7

HSC

alez said:
a lot of scientists are atheists because their work is disproving religion, but there are a lot who are also religious. i believe in science (i do chem bio and physics) and my friend said how can u believe in science and still think ppl have souls. some people can, others cant. its not that atheists are smarter, its just a lot of smart people see beyond the whole adam and eve, heaven and hell thing - im religious but liberal catholic - whole different thing. and people have proved that there are souls and proved reincarnation - but when you go against something like the church - like darwin did - there's a good chance you are going to be shot down because of the huge amount of followers
Hi Alez,

Science cannot disprove God. Nor can science prove God. Science is a naturalistic thing; God is supernatural. It is thus inappropriate to use science to try and test the existance of a God. (What are you doing to do, put God in a test tube?)

Now, where the metaphysical touches the physical, you can test that. E.g. Christians claim that God came in the form of a man named Jesus. So, archeology and history should be able to provide sufficient evidence for or against the notion that Jesus' historical existence.

I also believe in science. (For what it's worth, I took 4 sciences in my VCE, did a year of biomedical science last year, and am studying medicine this year.) As I said, that's irrelevant.

"its just a lot of smart people see beyond the whole adam and eve, heaven and hell thing"

There's a lot of debate about the origins of life. One theory put forth is the theory of evolution, which is probably the best naturalistic theory (i.e. no supernaturalism). But there are a lot of holes in it, and not a lot of proof that this is what has caused the origin of the species (or as Darwin called it "The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life"). Intelligent Design is a theory put forth to explain the organisms that appear to be irreducibly complex (i.e. if one part of the organism had evolved without crucial other parts, the organism would not be able able to exist, so it had to have been created in that way). As a scientific theory, this poses a lot of problems. Who or what is this intelligent designer? Where did it come from? If it is God, you have just introduced a supernatural element into the discussion, and as we said, science is naturalistic and isn't able to test supernaturalism. Even if we could accept that, we'd have a lot of questions "why did God do this, and not that?" Apart from science, this also poses philosophical and theological issues. Who is this God, why did it make us, etc?

Re: heaven and hell, irrelevant to intelligence. IQ does not imply knowledge of the metaphysical.

"people have proved that there are souls and proved reincarnation"

I'd be interested to hear more about this. Do you have any sources which could support this?

"but when you go against something like the church - like darwin did - there's a good chance you are going to be shot down because of the huge amount of followers"

I realise posting a link to aig in a discussion like this can lead to instant criticism, but bear with me. Initially, it was not the Church who was opposed to Darwin’s beliefs, but the scientific community. See this article: http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v21/i4/holywar.asp written by JAMES FOARD, a tertiary-educated student of history (general and military), archaeology and anthropology.

Last edited:

aussiechica7

HSC

You guys are going to hate me... I promise I'm not a bot... these are my thoughts on what has been written over last few days:

Topics are in bold and underlined. Quoted from people are in bold. My stuff is in normal text.

Logic/apologetics:

How much of Religion is excused by the reasoning that 'god's miraculous ways can't be understood by mere human logic'...

I hate when that is used as a cop out. I agree with it in principle but I also believe God gave us minds to use them, and he who seeks will find.

Think about it, if with education comes atheism doesn't that mean that with more intelligent people comes atheism? Perhaps you might want to mount an argument that it's mere wealth and not education, that's what I'd do.

Not necessarily. Christianity has a set of morals that not everybody wants to subscribe to and a lot of people would choose not to if they could think of a good reason to not believe in God. Dawkins described evolution as a means of being an “intellectually-fulfilled atheist”. This doesn’t mean evolution is proven and proves God and is therefore more intellectual; more than evolution is an intellectual means of atheist apologetics which protects his atheist beliefs.

If the African nations were richer and therefore better educated they mightn't necessarily have the same levels of religion as in Europe. America doesn't.

Good point.

Do you accept that it's possible for a group of people to be better at X than others, for whatever reason? If so then isn't it possible atheists are more logical than others, despite atheism not being an automatic ticket to making no mistakes (lol, your words not mine) of logic?

Yes, so basically, whether or not someone is atheist could be relevant or irrelevant to them being more logical.

The whole point is that no one can prove anything or have 'truth' when it comes to something like religion, they just beileve what they do.

I believe someone can have truth but not necessarily know for certain that they have it. I believe truth exists. I believe reality is subjective.

It's definately true though that a sign of intelligence would be someone who's willing to look at their surroundings and come to a new conclusion, on their own.

Yep, but it could also be someone who questions something and decides to accept it. Questioning is good.

I think it's crap how people pretend to have the moral highground because they beleive in God. I'm Christian and I have about as much clue about how to be good as the next person.

Yes I agree with you that Christians are NOT morally superior and that we do not determine morality. But don’t you think that God is morally superior and determines morality? (I’m asking as a Christian, to a Christian… I know the non-Christians would disagree). So if we are correctly able to interpret God’s word, we should have some idea of how to be good more than just our own opinions. (And of course, we both know that “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God”, and “our righteousness is as filthy rags”, so I agree with you that Christians are not more moral than non-Christians).

They may not have a higher IQ or anything but what kind of person makes a decision to believe in god based on the evidence we have now... in my opinion a fairly stupid (or maybe just an emotionally weak) person.

That’s a pretty strong judgment there. Have you read much of C.S. Lewis’ apologetic works, or for something even more basic, Lee Strobel or Josh McDowell? I googled and found a few ex-atheist websites (like http://www.doesgodexist.org/AboutClayton/PastLife.html )and a lot of other “Christian apologists” (people who explain their Christian faith rationally). Its not all emotional.

Plus, I think Christians (in particular) are jumping on those elitist athiests to go "Ohhh Ohhh We're not the only ones who are extreme in our views and rude to everyone else about them. Atheists do it too!"

Yeah, definitely, hence the post I first put up from my friend.

On the whole atheists probably are smarter by some small margin, but considering those with more money are more likely to be atheist and the huge number of christians that are likely to be smarter than your average atheist (let alone basic morals) I really don't think this is the sort of thing any atheist should be bringing up.

Sorry, what exactly are you saying here?

Actually, in regards to the original poster, I have nothing against people who believe in God, merely institutionalised religion and those who push their faith on others. Believe all you want, just A) don't force it on me or B) quote the Bible.

I disagree with B and probably your interpretation of A.
A) I do NOT believe a person should ever be coerced into faith. But I DO think Christians should be willing to share and defend their faith, in accordance with what we believe Jesus said. Please note that this does not imply force conversion.
B) Are you opposed to freedom of speech? You may not like someone quoting the Bible, and you may choose to ignore them, but they have the right to quote it, just as you have the right to quote texts of other faiths/non-faiths. Also, if you ask a Christian to explain what they believe, they’re likely to quote the Bible because that’s what most Christians believe.

Question: what’s wrong with institutionalised religion? I think religious belief should be more personal than corporate, but I don’t have a problem with its existence. Re: education, I prefer schools to the idea of home-schooling, but that’s just institutionalizing education isn’t it? Yet there are a lot of benefits to doing so.

Last edited:

aussiechica7

HSC

Communism, slavery, religious bloodshed:

Im no expert when it comes to history, but if we talk about the civil war, i think it's pretty safe to say that, when they were recruiting people to fight in the war they didn't make it exclusively for christians.

I think this is referring to the initial abolition movement to eradicate slave trading, led by the Christian William Wilberforce on the basis of his strong Christian convictions (and supported by many other Christians, including John Newton, the former slave trader who became a Christian and then got strongly involved in the abolition movement).

Also, an increasing number of deaths and increasing atheism could arise from a similar source - e.g. we could postulate that scientific advancement a) gives us more technology which allows for more killing and b) provides theories which challenge religion and cause more people to become atheists. In any case, I'm not offering a proof that there is no causation between atheism/deaths, but I do think that the above quoted claim should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yes, I agree with you that the magnitude of the deaths should take into account the advances in technology.

With the case of 'Atheist' Russia, we do need to make the distinction between acting on something BECAUSE of your religion, as it could have happened anyway. ie. holding everything else the same, if they weren't atheist, might their beliefs still have led them to do the same/similar things? I think the atheism itself here doesn't matter.

Communists knew it would be important to destroy the “Christian soul” and Christian morality of the people to be able to have their hearts and minds. Also, communism preached that it could not come into force peacefully. So atheism was one of the crucial key elements of creating a Communist utopia AND violence was a fulfillment of the movement’s ideologies. This is different to say, the Crusades, which had very little religious justification, and the unnecessary violence which was actually an aberration of Christian faith.

Does this mean atheism --> bloody deaths? No, of course not, there are many peaceful atheists. But in the example of communist Russia, I do not believe you can separate it’s atheism from it’s violence.

Now that i think of it,religion is also used as anexcuse to justify hatred and prejudice among someone.

Totally. Just read the Gospels and then study the Middle Ages to see how religion can totally be exploited to champion things against it’s own aims.

Again, religion is the excuse there. It's not within the religious code to do that, it's humans fixating on it because of their own means, ends and ideas. It's all human error.

By the way, people will fight wars no matter what. Religion was just a handy excuse.

Lol, so religion doesn’t kill people, people kill people? Lets face it, there are some religions which, in their most literal reading, encourage death of non-believers. And there are some religions which most certainly do not. Ultimately, every human has personal responsibility with whatever they choose to do, including killing someone, regardless of how they try to choose to justify it.

Last edited:

aussiechica7

HSC

Evolution:

The development of antibiotic resistance amongst microbes is a strong example of the way environmental pressures can select for certain characteristics within a population.

Doesn't this show that evolution works in some cases? Even if we can't find an evolutionary explanation in all cases it still has a lot of explnatory power.

Not necessarily. Evolution can be defined as change over time. In that case, almost any change, including natural selection is called evolution. Which is cool but this is not what is under debate in the scientific and religious communities. For example, natural selection is decreasing genetic information in a group over time, not increasing it so even diehard Creationists accept and promote belief in it.
“There are three ways antibiotic resistance could occur: Some germs already had the resistance, some germs directly transfer their resistance to others and some germs become resistant through mutation. Interestingly, where this last option happens, there is no clearcut evidence of information arising. All such mutations appear to be losses of information, degenerative changes. For example, loss of a control gene may enhance resistance to penicillin Some antibiotics need to be taken into the bacterium to do their work. There are sophisticated chemical pumps in bacteria which can actively pump nutrients from the outside through the cell wall into the germ’s interior. Those germs which do this efficiently, when in the presence of one of these antibiotics, will therefore efficiently pump into themselves their own executioner. However, what if one of these bacteria inherits a defective gene, by way of a DNA copying mistake (mutation) which will interfere with the efficiency of this chemical pumping mechanism? Although this bacterium will not be as good at surviving in normal circumstances, this defect actually gives it a survival advantage in the presence of the man-made poison. Once again, we see that information has been lost/corrupted, not gained.” – “Superbugs not super after all” (again from aig… I know people hate them but they’ve taken the time to explain their views, and I like that).

Darwin acknowledged (as do, in fact, all evolutionary biologists) was that if something could be found which wasn't reducible (i.e. irreducibly complex) then that would invalidate his theory.

But when ID-proponents bring this up its always “yes, we just haven’t found a way of showing how evolution can do that YET- we will”. This is why so many people claim that the theory of evolution is accepted more on the basis of faith than on meeting a burden of proof.

Like this: “No, you could quite easily change the theory to "Well in all other cases we see a natural progression of species through breeding, but here there's an anomoly that we can't explain".”

The fact that we 'don't have an evolutionary explanation for a given observed phenomenon' doesn't entail that 'we will never have an evolutionary explanation for that given phenomenon'.

While I do agree with you that there are some things that atheists take on faith, I still think you make a mistake in equating scientific belief with religious belief.

Scientific theories are always changing, so by definition you should take them with a grain of salt (this is the best idea we can think of to naturalistically explain the universe at the moment, until we can find a better one). It may be true, it may not, we really can’t know yet. Whereas religious beliefs make claims that are accepted as true, and are maintained down the generations which theoretically, if they do originate from God, should not change over time (major problems if they do, which is not the case for science). So in essence, yes, the two types of beliefs are different.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

aussiechica7 said:
Actually, in regards to the original poster, I have nothing against people who believe in God, merely institutionalised religion and those who push their faith on others. Believe all you want, just A) don't force it on me or B) quote the Bible.

I disagree with B and probably your interpretation of A.
A) I do NOT believe a person should ever be coerced into faith. But I DO think Christians should be willing to share and defend their faith, in accordance with what we believe Jesus said. Please note that this does not imply force conversion.
B) Are you opposed to freedom of speech? You may not like someone quoting the Bible, and you may choose to ignore them, but they have the right to quote it, just as you have the right to quote texts of other faiths/non-faiths. Also, if you ask a Christian to explain what they believe, they’re likely to quote the Bible because that’s what most Christians believe.

Question: what’s wrong with institutionalised religion? I think religious belief should be more personal than corporate, but I don’t have a problem with its existence. Re: education, I prefer schools to the idea of home-schooling, but that’s just institutionalizing education isn’t it? Yet there are a lot of benefits to doing so.
B relates to A. When attempting to force Christianity on me please do not quote a cultural text in trying to make me believe in God. I don't think telling me I'm going to go to hell when I don't pray constitutes as defending their religion. Sure you've got the right to quote the Bible, just don't use it to attempt to convert people (That's why I have a HUGE problem with missionaries, along with the fact that they completely decimate primitive cultures and people but that's for another time).

Institutionalized education doesn't kill people or coerce money out of it for no particular cause (you don't need a decorated church damn it). Religion is fed on by those in authority to create an institution to do their bidding through.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

People who tell me I'm going to hell are family, people at my old (catholic) school and every nun and priest I've met. Just in general, anyone who has tried to make me believe in God (minus non institutionalized religion uni friends).

Most schools need the money for a whole variety of different things. Religion needs very little.

I'm referring to every religion in connection to every bad thing they've ever done. The only reason the Crusades occurred was to meet the leaders end, the only reason fanatical Muslims are doing the things they're doing is because of leaders using jihad to brainwash them.

People who truly believe in Church freak me out, also I don't know any considering most of the parish priests I ever met were on power trips and/or trying to fondle children.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Think about it, if with education comes atheism doesn't that mean that with more intelligent people comes atheism? Perhaps you might want to mount an argument that it's mere wealth and not education, that's what I'd do.

Not necessarily. Christianity has a set of morals that not everybody wants to subscribe to and a lot of people would choose not to if they could think of a good reason to not believe in God.
This is imo hogwash, christians all have different morals and will claim different morals are the moral foundation of christianity. If you don't want to prescribe to X moral stance, you simple don't - See church of england. Also, the idea that someone would accept the existance of God yet not like the moral circumstances which come with his existance, so just flat out deny it, seems fatally stupid.

Dawkins described evolution as a means of being an “intellectually-fulfilled atheist”. This doesn’t mean evolution is proven
So what if that statement doesn't mean evolution is proven? That fact is that it is as a strongly proven scientific theory. All that Dawkins is talking about there is that evolution has provided another possible avenue by which to explain how all this life got here.

and proves God and is therefore more intellectual;
No it doesn't, non-sequitor and you're also rambling a fair bit here.

more than evolution is an intellectual means of atheist apologetics which protects his atheist beliefs.
It doesn't protect atheist beliefs, that's not what he's saying. If evolution didn't exist it wouldn't hurt philosophical atheism, all that it does is provide a naturalistic explanation for how we came to be on earth. It bolsters atheism, but is by no means a foundational aspect.

If the African nations were richer and therefore better educated they mightn't necessarily have the same levels of religion as in Europe. America doesn't.

Doesn't it seem odd to pick out the statistical anomoly and say 'Well maybe they'll all turn out that way if they were more educated?' Also I can bring up studies of the US that show that in the US atheists are more educated, on average, than theists. Which shows that while perhaps an educated country can have educated religious people, those whom are irreligious statistically are likely to be more educated.

Yes, so basically, whether or not someone is atheist could be relevant or irrelevant to them being more logical.
No, in other words while we can say group X (atheists) shows common characteristic (stupid), that corrolation doesn't mean that atheist theory is stupid. Atheism is merely non-belief in God, Atheists as a whole may have some other common beliefs.

Yep, but it could also be someone who questions something and decides to accept it. Questioning is good.
Perhaps, but I'd say often such questioning that doesn't lead you at least temporarily down a path of doubt/uncertainty is probably nothing but an excercise in making yourself feel better about what you already believe.

Sorry, what exactly are you saying here?
  • Your average atheist is probably slightly smarter than your average theist.
  • However it's important to keep in mind that this could merely have been due higher access to education (the rich tend to be more likely to be atheist).
  • As there are so many christians, chances are there are many brilliant christians who will be smarter than you as an atheist, so you'd be a fool to brag.

I imagine what she's talking about is forced prayer in schools or some such notion. You can have prayers, just don't make me do the same.

I think religious belief should be more personal than corporate, but I don’t have a problem with its existence.
Personally, I see 'personal' spiritualist movements as a way for people to still hold onto their religious beliefs without having to suffer the secular attacks/arguments as they can justify it as not an attack on their own beliefs.

Communists knew it would be important to destroy the “Christian soul” and Christian morality of the people to be able to have their hearts and minds.
Evidence? I think there might be some truth to this statement, but it comes off as untruthful due to the specificity of it. It wasn't an attack on 'christianity' but on basically all sources of power which could challenge the state.

This is different to say, the Crusades, which had very little religious justification, and the unnecessary violence which was actually an aberration of Christian faith.
Would you claim the inquisition had very little religious justification? Anyway, such matters of 'religious justification' are incredibly subjective. If they were doing it under the firm belief that they were doing it for religious purposes, it matters little what your interpretation of the bible says about their acts.

Does this mean atheism --> bloody deaths? No, of course not, there are many peaceful atheists. But in the example of communist Russia, I do not believe you can separate it’s atheism from it’s violence.
All you seemed to write about here was how atheism was a goal of communist states (really, the abolishment of all rival power structures is a better expression) and how they went about reaching their goals in a violent fashion. Of course there's a connection, but why does that really matter?

I imagine you're trying to insinuate more than you're actually writing.

Lol, so religion doesn’t kill people, people kill people? Lets face it, there are some religions which, in their most literal reading, encourage death of non-believers. And there are some religions which most certainly do not. Ultimately, every human has personal responsibility with whatever they choose to do, including killing someone, regardless of how they try to choose to justify it.
You mean like a reading of the bible where you don't hold the old testament as useless?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not necessarily. Evolution can be defined as change over time. In that case, almost any change, including natural selection is called evolution. Which is cool but this is not what is under debate in the scientific and religious communities.
True, but this was merely to show that even if evolution can be shown to have gaps, some parts of the theory will still survive insofar as it works.

For example, natural selection is decreasing genetic information in a group over time, not increasing it so even diehard Creationists accept and promote belief in it.
k http://www.nmsr.org/nylon.htm

But when ID-proponents bring this up its always “yes, we just haven’t found a way of showing how evolution can do that YET- we will”. This is why so many people claim that the theory of evolution is accepted more on the basis of faith than on meeting a burden of proof.
Give me an example of something irriducibly complex that has not been answered or at least is not claimed by scientists to have yet been answered? Bacterial Flagelum i'm guessing you'll use?

Scientific theories are always changing, so by definition you should take them with a grain of salt (this is the best idea we can think of to naturalistically explain the universe at the moment, until we can find a better one).
They are always changing, however whatever is currently in the best standing is what is currently the best established fact. This is accepted by all scientists...

It may be true, it may not, we really can’t know yet.
We really can't know EVER, actually.

Whereas religious beliefs make claims that are accepted as true
Religious beliefs make often unfalsifiable claims through the use of the 'supernatural'.

and are maintained down the generations which theoretically, if they do originate from God, should not change over time (major problems if they do, which is not the case for science).
I don't see that whether or not they've from god changes the possibility that they'll change over time.

So in essence, yes, the two types of beliefs are different.
One accepts the reality that we can only base our knowledged based off of the best evidence at the current time, another uses the veil of supernaturalism to make their claims unfalsifiable. They are indeed extremely different.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

aussiechica7 said:
The development of antibiotic resistance amongst microbes is a strong example of the way environmental pressures can select for certain characteristics within a population.Doesn't this show that evolution works in some cases?

Not necessarily. Evolution can be defined as change over time. In that case, almost any change, including natural selection is called evolution. Which is cool but this is not what is under debate in the scientific and religious communities. For example, natural selection is decreasing genetic information in a group over time, not increasing it so even diehard Creationists accept and promote belief in it.
... Although this bacterium will not be as good at surviving in normal circumstances, this defect actually gives it a survival advantage in the presence of the man-made poison. Once again, we see that information has been lost/corrupted, not gained.” – “Superbugs not super after all”
The key factor in the example I gave was the selective environmental pressure provided by the antibiotics. The problem with the "superbugs not super after all" statement is that it doesn't pay due attention to the fact that there is no one environment in which a given type of organism exists. What is successful in environment E1 might be unsuccessful in environment E2. Certainly, sometimes an acquired trait will be maladaptive in another environment... what of it? I don't see how your example falsifies my claim.

aussiechica7 said:
...I agree with you that Christians are NOT morally superior and that we do not determine morality. But don’t you think that God is morally superior and determines morality? (I’m asking as a Christian, to a Christian… I know the non-Christians would disagree). So if we are correctly able to interpret God’s word, we should have some idea of how to be good more than just our own opinions...
To quote Socrates (read 'pious' as 'good', EDIT: or 'moral'):

"Is the pious loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it is loved by the gods?"

In other words, is there an objective good to which god adheres by virtue of its being good, or should we embrace a kind of 'divine relativism' where the good is god's will. Some interesting questions to ponder:

- Could god change its mind regarding what is good?
- If god is unable to change its mind regarding what is good, then mightn't this suggest an objective source?
- If god could change its mind then does that undermine the good-as-determined-by-god?

Last edited:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A

alez said:
and people have proved that there are souls and proved reincarnation
Eh? I must of missed this in the media, link me?

ellen.louise

HSC

alez said:
but when you go against something like the church - like darwin did - there's a good chance you are going to be shot down because of the huge amount of followers
Darwin never went against the church. People misconstrued his meaning a lot of the time, because they felt it was threatening to the church, and thus they wanted to discredit him once he finally published his theory.

The phrase "survival of the fittest" was apparently first used by the influential British philosopher Herbert Spencer (1820-1903) as a central tenet of what became known as "Social Darwinism." He misapplied Darwin's idea of natural selection to justify European domination and colonization of much of the rest of the world. Social Darwinism was also widely used to defend the unequal distribution of wealth and power in Europe and North America at the time. Poor and politically powerless people were thought to have been failures in the natural competition for survival. Subsequently, helping them was seen as a waste of time and counter to nature. From this perspective, rich and powerful people did not need to feel ashamed of their advantages because their success was proof that they were the most fit in this competition. http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_2.htm

triggy

HSC

"They may not have a higher IQ or anything but what kind of person makes a decision to believe in god based on the evidence we have now... in my opinion a fairly stupid (or maybe just an emotionally weak) person."

how can christians be fairly stupid? what evidence do you have now that there isnt a God? a couple of theories..thats about it. nothing has been proven. it is just as likely that there is a God as it is likely that everything popped out of no where one day after a random explosion.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

triggy said:
it is just as likely that there is a God as it is likely that everything popped out of no where one day after a random explosion.
How do you choose between a judeo-christian god and other conceptually plausible alternatives?

On a picky note I feel I should draw a distinction between conceptual possibility and physical possibility (or likelihood). We can conceive of the possibility of god's existing, but that doesn't then ensure that god is possible in physical (or perhaps even metaphysical) terms. In general I take issues with arguments which assert that god is possible/probable without evidence, especially those which asert that it is a 50/50 matter simply because they feel it could 'swing either way'.

To my mind, in order to say that "god is likely" you need evidence which is in favour of god's physical existence. Otherwise you are just voicing the fact that you can concieve of a world in which god exists - a fact which tells us nothing about the physical world.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

And on that note, someone here said that there is no solid evidence for evolution (with the assumption being, why should we believe it?).

Yes, evolution is a theory. But that does not mean that there is no evidence to support it. There is, in fact, over half a billion years worth of evidence, and any holes therein means that we simply haven't found the piece that explains a puzzle yet.

Re: irreducible complexity - there are no current examples of such, as fair as I know; therefore, using this argument to counterpoint evolution is both flawed and ludicrous.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I urge all BOS'ers to view the Simpsons episode, Lisa the Skeptic. Why? Because it's so hilarious, and because it's kinda relevant. The point being that science is just as self-loving as religion, and that scientists are just as much a group of douchebags as religious people are. We all suck.

Homer: If you'll notice, I never once used the word 'angel'
Lisa: What about there? *points to sign*
Homer: That's a typo

-=-=-=-=-=-

Flanders: What the heckarooni is it?
Lisa: Well it looks like a human, but these other bones look almost like wings.
Flanders: You mean like...like an angel?
Lisa: Well obviously angels aren't-
Moe: LISA'S RIGHT IT'S AN ANGEL!

-=-=-=-=-=-

Lisa: *confidently* Ahh, here comes the professor now. What were the results professor?
Professor: Inconclusive
Lisa: Inconclusive? Then why did you come running up like that?
Professor: Um...can I use your bathroom? *Lisa points him towards bathroom*
Reverend Lovejoy: Well, well, well! Looks like science has failed to explain something once again!

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
ok my point was the whole creationism theory was disproved in a way - not entirely but with the big bang theory and evolution - you cant believe both. and reincarnation - there are books on it written by people who have proved it to the extent we currently can - Brian Weiss was a therapist and has taken heaps of people back to their past lives. A good book of his is many lives, many masters. My dad has also given presentations on reincarnation and done past life regression. But for things like this you cant prove it to the extent that you can prove other things

lengy

HSC
Isn't cross breeding animals a quick form of evolution anyways?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
alez said:
ok my point was the whole creationism theory was disproved in a way - not entirely but with the big bang theory and evolution - you cant believe both.
You can try and make them roughly consistent with each other. I forget who said it, but there's a quote, which looks to reconcile creationism and evolution, along the lines of 'not only did god create the universe, but he created a universe which could create itself'.

suess

HSC
I am an atheist based on the current scientific and historical evidence in favour of the non-existence of God and also philosophical arguments supporting this notion.

I generally don’t care where individuals stand on spiritual matters. It is the pervasive influence of religion that I find problematic. A great example is the integration of intelligent design into the curriculum of some schools in the US, Australia and elsewhere, seriously undermining and restricting the teaching of science (For anyone not aware of what the "theory" of Intelligent Design entails - here is a wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design). There are numerous other examples of the dogmatic beliefs of established religion impeding progress and inflicting great harm on society.

A number of people have discussed the relationship between intelligence and a belief in a personal God. I’ve attached an article from Nature (leading international science journal) from 1998; this may hopefully clarify the relationship for people.

I agree with some of the comments expressed that atheists can come across as arrogant. However, religious people can come across as bigoted and recalcitrant so I suppose it evens out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)