Intolerance: Christians vs. Atheists (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yep cheers :)

yeah i almost never had trouble counselling a person with any sort of religious views.. but the other day i tried to counsel a patient tat was atheist and my whole argument fell apart and my senior had to continue.. cos the person was thinkin from a socioeconomic perspective..

this does give me some constructive help :D.. cos i just never thought about it that in depth

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Re: intolerance Christians vs. atheists

Not-That-Bright said:
Well yea, we use our insticts, our reasoning power to decide what we feel is just, empathy etc. Pretty much the same as anyone else. You can't tell me that you get all your morals from the bible, for starters you've picked and choosed which morals to accept and which to reject - By what guideline did you do so?
yep well i took the easy way out in a sense.. and i used an established set of rules and i modified it based on life experiences.. i think i just avoided the questions where I didnt want to think about it. and frankly i like the beliefs i hold.. it gets me through the day.. by principle of maintaining my gene line.. it would be adequate :p

lengy

HSC
According to a friend, who's a theist, she believes that there should be mystery in the world and that's her reason for her faith, but for me, I like to know how things work. We are each happy in our own views on life, ignorance can sometimes be bliss.

marthastuart

HSC
Just on a point:
That "most intelligent people are atheists" is not elitist.

It would be elitist if it said "only intelligent people are atheists."

It's offensive, yes, but not limiting atheism only to the intelligent, he accepts there are plenty of moronic atheists out there, and he also accepts there are very intelligent Christians.

He's also been quoted as saying:
Belief in God would be fine, but most people, if not all, believe in god out of fear. Belief in God from fear of God is not belief at all.

He only shares his views to a willing audience (those who attend lectures or read his novels) and attempts to seperate the church from the state (The sky-wizard/intelligent design theory kept out of schools)

He's a bastard, yes, but read any of his works and you'll understand how and why MOST of his arrogance is justified.

Atheism is hardly depressive as you are told it is. It is not empty, it is not hollow. Really Atheists have no more idea what happens after death than you do, they just believe one way while you believe another.

What you fill with God, we often fill with people.

What you fill your fear of death with, we fill with the satisfaction that life is to be lived.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
I'm kind of lost in this argument of evolution VS god. Evidence for evolution doesn't disprove god. someone could argue that some god creating early forms of life, then dawkins sifting idea (evolution) follows through :/

Also, i really disagree that evolution doesn't require any faith - the absolute first stage does. Even Dawkins doesn't attempt to (as you wouldn't) explain the utterly small probability that the first life form began from matter coming together (he gives the probability in his book - the blind watchmaker). Science is my world, but IMO when your talking about fundamental issues such as these, the amount of confidence that people place in science suggests you are probably are looking at these issues far too simplistically.
The evolution vs god issue only really comes up when a person's religious beliefs include the belief that 'evolution is impossible' or that 'evolution never occured' (etc). I think there are enough strong examples of evolution to challenge such assertions. However, if a person wants to try and make the two compatible then they can go for it. Isn't it all the more spectacular, in terms of creative acts, if a god exists who 'created a world that could make itself'? God and evolution can coexist quite peacefully, unfortunately literal interpretations of genesis (and the like) often get in the way.

banco55

HSC
KFunk said:
The evolution vs god issue only really comes up when a person's religious beliefs include the belief that 'evolution is impossible' or that 'evolution never occured' (etc). I think there are enough strong examples of evolution to challenge such assertions. However, if a person wants to try and make the two compatible then they can go for it. Isn't it all the more spectacular, in terms of creative acts, if a god exists who 'created a world that could make itself'? God and evolution can coexist quite peacefully, unfortunately literal interpretations of genesis (and the like) often get in the way.
Not when you have a creation 'story'/myth that doesn't co-exist nicely with evolution. I suppose the standard dodge now is to claim that genesis should be read allegorically.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Why are christian v athiest intolerance threads allowed but nothing to do with Islam's blatent lack of tolerance v Rational principles?

banco55

HSC
ari89 said:
Why are christian v athiest intolerance threads allowed but nothing to do with Islam's blatent lack of tolerance v Rational principles?
Christians don't tend to blow shit up or issue fatwas.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
Christians don't tend to blow shit up or issue fatwas.
So the mods are scared of sam04u's revenge attacks on us?

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
ari89 said:
It'd be more than reasonable for you to bring that up as a topic of discussion in this thread.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Re: intolerance Christians vs. atheists

Tulipa said:
Athiests are more logical.

That's my view at least. Maybe not "smarter" but I think more logical/rational/etc.
Elitist ? LOL What is logical and rational, as a function of intelligence?

athiests come in all forms and sizes, some smart and rational, others ignorant and dim witted

athiests can be racists too

i've found a good site a lecturer at uni told us- he's the dean of science at unsw and he was telling us about all about the need to be skeptical

and gave us two siteS:

skeptics . org. au (i think)

go reason . XXX.au

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
KFunk said:
yeah, i agree with that. How was it created? can we really be so arrogant to say it happened like this and this and no other explanation is possible because we possess ultimate knowledge?

Politics means that athiests can also fall into the same trap:

at the beginning of a biology lecture at unsw, the lecturer showed us a report commissioned and accepted by the CCCP which effectively said that EVOLUTION never occurred and was removed from all books in soviet russia. it was in the 60s or 70s.

HSC
great article your friend wrote.

I'm waiting on a article 'Islam vs Atheists'

:) lets see if any wars would spark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)