Intro For English Speech, Princess Diaries and Henry IV (2 Viewers)

sannous1

HSC
Hey you guys, i need a good intro on my English Speech. Its based on Princess Diaries the movie and the book Henry IV shakespeare.

this is the question for my speech

1) Choose a character from your drama text and discuss the ways in which the character is presented in the play and in the film adaptation or transformation. Explain the similarities and differences in the characterisation (play and film) and say which characterisation you prefer, giving details from the texts to support your views.

Ive did half of the speech, but i want a good intro in the beginning, any ideas? i was thinkning about saying something about wat a prince and princess are, lol i dunno, or maybe some quotes from the movie and book?

thanks much appreciated

bored of sc

HSC
Try starting off by putting the audience in the mindset of the composer (s) of the text (s).

For example: Imagine the deepest depression. You are remorseful, cynical and disgusted by the sin and reason you possess. The love of your life has just died and your generally strong faith is wavering. Welcome to the life of John Donne. In the last years of his life, Donne wrote an amazing set of metaphysical poetry known as The Holy Sonnets. One such poem is Holy Sonnet 14 or ‘Batter my Heart’.

That way the audience are engaged in what you are saying and feel more inclined to understand/agree with what you trying to say!

It's just one of a myriad of possible beginning though.

Others include:
> quotes (like you said)
> simply answer the question but with a personal feel to it --> convict to what you say e.g. I feel the the integrity of the text is through the universality and timelessness of the themes it explores; these thematic concerns are communicated in a vivid manner through the composer's use of techniques... etc etc
> Start with an amusing antecdote --> e.g. I was walking down the street thinking about what to do for my english speech when struck me was the idea of starting with an amusing antecdote. So ladies and gents, there you go.

agua.fuego

HSC
That's an interesting idea - I would go with quotes, personally. Matt's idea of engaging the audience is an absolute must. Defining it is just too... I can't think of what the word is (sorry, it's early). But I have to tell you NO!!! DON'T!!
(At least, for me. I probably have done it before, but I don't remember it. Selective memory :giddy:)
Just do something that'd make it stick out. If you've done debating you know that you're proving a point but to the audience and as such you've got to make it interesting for them. I personally do alright with my speech writing, but then I fail miserably with the speech part (except for last year) - mainly because I speak in a frightened monotonous whisper that hurtles along at approximately the speed of sound (I can be slightly deciphered) and hide behind my palm cards as though they are full bullet-proofed armour and my classmates are shooting at me. Last year I didn't, because I actually tried memorising my speech - and I have to say that when you have it memorised you don't need palm cards and as such you don't feel the need to hide behind them and you can engage with the audience - which is the goal, apparently.
I also think that you should finish the entire speech and then write the intro, because then you have the problem of 'does the intro match up?' I wrote an English in-class essay (which you do in order, unfortunately) and I got to the end realising my introduction was arguing the complete opposite of my essay.

I wrote an introduction for one of my friends about Robert Frost, I'd put it up but I can't find it. I'll PM it to you later if you want it... although it might be completely useless considering the field you're doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)