IP- Did u devise it or Pick it up some place (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
butterflyxx said:
i dunno what to do. i bought a monologue book and most of them are good. i wanna do something funny and melodramatic but i dunno how to make changes with it. i haven't even chosen one yet actually. but yeh anyone have any tips?
hmm...well im not really sure what u mean by u cant change it...do you mean you don't know how to turn the monologues into coherent performance pieces? they're too long? too short? if you have no idea what you want to do it might be hard...but u said funny and melodramatic, so go with that idea, single out the monologues you think fit that criteria or could be adapted to that style, and from there its simply a matter of choosing one from those possibilities. if you're stuck for ideas, try "going in", i guess i should put it, from a different perspective...eg if you've got an idea for a prop u want to use, start with that and find characters who would suit it, or start with an idea/issue and find monologues that reflect it....basically at this stage u really need to make a decision and stick with it, dont worry if u run into problems, just work through them patiently. good luck :D

butterflyxx

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
hmm...well im not really sure what u mean by u cant change it...do you mean you don't know how to turn the monologues into coherent performance pieces? they're too long? too short? if you have no idea what you want to do it might be hard...but u said funny and melodramatic, so go with that idea, single out the monologues you think fit that criteria or could be adapted to that style, and from there its simply a matter of choosing one from those possibilities. if you're stuck for ideas, try "going in", i guess i should put it, from a different perspective...eg if you've got an idea for a prop u want to use, start with that and find characters who would suit it, or start with an idea/issue and find monologues that reflect it....basically at this stage u really need to make a decision and stick with it, dont worry if u run into problems, just work through them patiently. good luck :D
Thanks so much! Hehe, that really helps :D so glad people are here to help on this forum lol.

blueyez

HSC
i self devised mine, and only recently found it. im a little less stressed now.

has anyone not got a monologue yet? apart from butterflyxx (ill talk to you tomorow, dont worry, you'll be fine) btw guys i saw her last pef assessment, it was really good!

hehehe.

oh does anyone else have an IP assessment soon? mines in 2 weeks and im sposed to be off script.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
yeah we have one next week...we basically have to show/hand in whatever we have done to date and get given a progress mark.

blueyez

HSC
well good luck with yours :)

hmmm... i spoke to my teacher yesterday about my monologue and he thinks i should change bits of it, so i dont know what to write now but i have to get it finished so i can learn it... dont know what to do, guess ill have to learn it even if i end up changing it around a lot later :(

butterflyxx

HSC
blueyez said:

hmmm... i spoke to my teacher yesterday about my monologue and he thinks i should change bits of it, so i dont know what to write now but i have to get it finished so i can learn it... dont know what to do, guess ill have to learn it even if i end up changing it around a lot later :(
He told me to change mine as well, now i dunno what to write. My ideas are all over the place and now, i don't have a structure to it! noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. And do we HAVE TO be offscript? I won't learn it in time :mad1:

ladyknight

HSC
butterflyxx said:
He told me to change mine as well, now i dunno what to write. My ideas are all over the place and now, i don't have a structure to it! noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. And do we HAVE TO be offscript? I won't learn it in time :mad1:
Awww, been there stressed over that like a freakin maniac, and frankly İm surprised İ'm alive, since my 4unit english project was do the same morning as my drama hsc... anyway, like İ said before İ wrote my monologue, and rewrote it, and rewrote it at least 20 times after that. Even though İm only okay at this İ'd be more than glad to check out any scripts...

JMFH

HSC
N/A
just wondering on the topic of ip's, whats the go with swearing. I have fuck, cunt and shit. is any alowed or not?... i want to be true to the character i have created.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
JMFH said:
just wondering on the topic of ip's, whats the go with swearing. I have fuck, cunt and shit. is any alowed or not?... i want to be true to the character i have created.
i think basically anything is allowed as long as it's in keeping with the character and not overtly offensive. two of my friends have 'fuck' in theirs, i have 'slut' in mine...there's no rule to say you can't swear.

JMFH

HSC
N/A
thats what i thought, drama teach says i cant, says they will discontinue it straight away or something. and i obviously said, what about keeping the character?
he dismissed it..

FUCKIN JOKE this is- real life
FLIPPIN JOKE this is- school drama

uberschveinen

HSC
I must say I'm surprised at how many people are 'borrowing' material mor their monologue, or outright using a written one. Almost everyone I've asked is self-devising it, andf the only one who isn't took his original material from a feature article. I just don't see why people are so worried about self-devised monologues, when with a self-devised monologue you can tailor it to be whatever you want it to, and the odds of someone else doing it and impinging on your own mark are effectively zero. For example, mine's an introspective look at the life of an archvillain, which allows me to weak a huge suit of armour, use my evil skills and introduce a great deal of techniques, as well as indtroducing humour merely from taking such a ridiculous concept so seriously.

Incidentally, I have my own views on swearing in any performance, which aren't exactly BoS canon or anything, but have never steered me wrong. Unless that (or those) specific words are so vital to your performance that to replace them with something less offensive would have a genuine result in your mark, drop them like a twelve-ton sack of decomposing turd. To keep them in, unless they genuinely add to the performance, implies a lack of in-depth thought on your part, shows a potential lack of maturity and creativity (anyone can swear to show anger or whatever, but it takes creativity not to), and when present in number or severity too drastic, makes your performance seem based purely on shock value, a sure way to drop out of the A-range.

greenapple^0^

HSC
JMFH said:
yeah i heard dat u can swear but only around 3 times...and if u do swear over 3 times that the markers wouldn't really like it..well something shit like dat anyways ..i think we should coz itz realastic~ everyone swears

HSC
uberschveinen said:
I must say I'm surprised at how many people are 'borrowing' material mor their monologue, or outright using a written one. Almost everyone I've asked is self-devising it, andf the only one who isn't took his original material from a feature article. I just don't see why people are so worried about self-devised monologues, when with a self-devised monologue you can tailor it to be whatever you want it to, and the odds of someone else doing it and impinging on your own mark are effectively zero. For example, mine's an introspective look at the life of an archvillain, which allows me to weak a huge suit of armour, use my evil skills and introduce a great deal of techniques, as well as indtroducing humour merely from taking such a ridiculous concept so seriously.
Ppl are so worried because u can get massively marked down if its crap ..like sum ppl write monologues that are really bad that have no theatrical statement to it or that sound like they have just gotten extracts from all different monologues and stuck it all together...thats why, it will either end up being really good or really bad so there is always that chance that u have fukd it up

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said:
Ppl are so worried because u can get massively marked down if its crap ..like sum ppl write monologues that are really bad that have no theatrical statement to it or that sound like they have just gotten extracts from all different monologues and stuck it all together...thats why, it will either end up being really good or really bad so there is always that chance that u have fukd it up
this is true, self devised pieces are very risky unless you are a talented script writer. Taking at least part of your material from other texts i think allows you to have a strong foundation to build on, even if you eventually largely write the piece yourself. E.g my IP performance script began with a ratio of about 90% dialogue from a play, 10% my own additions and alterations...after about 10 re drafts it's now more like 70% my own words, but still based on the section of playscript i originally wanted to explore.

i do agree with uberschveinen about swearing, though - less is more, and only if it's necessary. it really does depend on character, because it's easy to tell when a swear word has just been added for the sheer sake of it. trying to add humour or "shock value" by putting in expletives doesnt seem very smart either.

uberschveinen

HSC
Why would you worry if it's, well, crap? If you're making it yourself its crap factor should be fairly visible, and become blatantly apparent as time goes on, to the point where you should never be able to miss it as you approach the 'event horizon' of creation date. Even if you're the kind of person who enjoys the scent of your own crap, at least one person in the class should be capable of telling you if it's crap. And besides, if you suddenly realise it's crap and need a new one, picking a preconstructed monologue would take far less time, as it cuts out the vast majority of the creative process, and the little it leaves is done in rehearsal.

Frankly, if you can't realise that your performance is crap before it's too late with a whole class of people and at least one teacher that should be telling you, you're probably lazy or self-obsessed to the point where you really should fail.

blueyez

HSC
students at school seem to think my monologue's good but my teacher wants me to change it so "the audience/examiners can see more of a character beyond that character" i keep rewriting it... i duno. its not totally crap though, the teacher still gave me a 9.5/10 for my pef update, but his marking was really easy.

as for swearing i was told absolutly none allowed and no sexual references either... at least not obvious ones.

vogue

FaShIoNiStA
HSC
blueyez said:
as for swearing i was told absolutly none allowed and no sexual references either... at least not obvious ones.
well bluey there gonna have to ignore the ones im thinking off after pract for tommororo
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRXZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

shaunbates

HSC
i wrote my script and i wish i hadn't its so hard to portray the character i've done, its a mentally disabled person, and its so fuckin hard

blueyez

HSC
did you base your character on anyone? (like a movie character or someone from a play) if you did then how is the original character protrayed? and what message are you trying to get across to your audience? whats your monologue actually about?

btw vogue, there's no swearing in our gp... its just got a lot of 'personality'

ladyknight

HSC
blueyez said:

Yeah, both my group and individual perf.s kept changing until the last hour- we were stressing out like mad and İ though İ was gonna explode or something out of sheer terror! Ah, so sooo funny in hindsight...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)