IP Performance: How are you progressing? (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
All those doing IP Performance, what are you up to?

I've written my 3rd draft (yes, i wrote my own monologue. well, sort of. it's based on a story from a book, so i guess i've sort of co-written it.) and have sorted my props.

Thinking i should try and learn it now.

Where's everyone at?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I finished last year, but I was still scripting at this stage. Basically, get your script done as early as possibly, then rehearse as much as possible. It's as simple as that.

Nightsarah

HSC
Yeah I'm probably same as you - I've composed a script of appropriate length, sorted out majority of my props and have begun learning it. I still need to sort out my costume but in the mean time will just put on anything that helps me develop character when rehearsing. I'll need to sit down and work on my accent though as well as work on developing and understanding my character some more between blocking. If I get time I will do some theoretical blocking - but we all know it never works out fully unless you get up to try it out.
So yeah, I've got a script, have SLIGHTLY learnt some parts, gotten most of my props, have an IDEA for costume and am going to start practically rehearsing/blocking next week.
'Tis all much fun!

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Yeah I'm probably same as you - I've composed a script of appropriate length, sorted out majority of my props and have begun learning it. I still need to sort out my costume but in the mean time will just put on anything that helps me develop character when rehearsing. I'll need to sit down and work on my accent though as well as work on developing and understanding my character some more between blocking. If I get time I will do some theoretical blocking - but we all know it never works out fully unless you get up to try it out.
So yeah, I've got a script, have SLIGHTLY learnt some parts, gotten most of my props, have an IDEA for costume and am going to start practically rehearsing/blocking next week.
'Tis all much fun!

You sound intensely organised, good on you!
I'm constantly redrafting my piece, i just can't help it. Every time i read it or perform it i find something i don't like. That's the trouble with writing your own piece. Eckh!
I've sort-of organised costume, and have my simplistic stage design and props all done and dusted.

What time does everyone start learning their lines?

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
I haven't decided for sure what monologue I am doing yet though I have a backup which I like quite a lot if it becomes too late and frantic. About half our class has decided on their monologues but haven't really started memorising lines yet. A few read from their scripts to the class so we could discuss if it suited them etc. Teacher said we need to have decided by Monday if we need her help or if we have chosen our own.
Where did everyone find their monologues? I am finding the internet annoying - did most people get their's from monologue books?

Nightsarah

HSC
You sound intensely organised, good on you!
I'm constantly redrafting my piece, i just can't help it. Every time i read it or perform it i find something i don't like. That's the trouble with writing your own piece. Eckh!
I've sort-of organised costume, and have my simplistic stage design and props all done and dusted.

What time does everyone start learning their lines?
I guess I'm not going too bad. I've spent the last two weeks learning my monologue and working on my accent. So I've got that down pretty well now. I also spent like 2 hours these holidays blocking it, so I have just over half vaguely blocked now. I will be using the theatre I work with to rehearse a solid 2 hours a week on my IP in their space. They've given me a slot to perform my IP in front of a paying audience at the end of this term, so that gives me a time limit as well as resources to ensure that I finish in time.

Can I advise you to just STOP redrafting. Finish you script and say that you are not going to change it anymore. That's what I did. I condensed 15 page script to 7 minutes and if I had not set a time limit then I would most likely still be working it by now. Your performance will override any inconsistencies. What you're doing equates to "sitting down and talking about it" in group tasks rather than getting up and experimenting. Your teacher should give you a kick up the ass like mine did to just finish it and stick with it. When you get the bulk of it done (memorizing and blocking), THEN you can go back and correct any lines as you rehearse. Pick 1 hour to do any final changed to your script and STICK WITH IT. Then set yourself a limit to have half of it memorized within one week. If need be, tell your teacher your goals and ask him/her to get on your back about it if you do not work well without pressure.

(sorry if this is hard to read, I'm not really with it tonight)

shayla

HSC
Hmmm. Ive written the basis of my script, have to make it more indepth now then practise pratcise practise!

sean kelly-pain

HSC
WOOWWW!! you are all so organised and speedy!!! I am killing myself badly with silly IP.
So I wrote about 3 min of one and I was just going to add and change that one but stick to the same theme, now however my teacher is like I think you should do a script cause your running out of time, and she gave me one thats all about nurses in the vietnam war, and is all dialogue I want something theatrical and physicallised which is kinda what I was going for in my own. Someone please help me!!!
SOooo stuck!!
P.s the one I wrote is about an Irish girl who is wrongfully imprisoned for a bombing in the 70's based on true events.

HELPP!!

Nightsarah

HSC
WOOWWW!! you are all so organised and speedy!!! I am killing myself badly with silly IP.
So I wrote about 3 min of one and I was just going to add and change that one but stick to the same theme, now however my teacher is like I think you should do a script cause your running out of time, and she gave me one thats all about nurses in the vietnam war, and is all dialogue I want something theatrical and physicallised which is kinda what I was going for in my own. Someone please help me!!!
SOooo stuck!!
P.s the one I wrote is about an Irish girl who is wrongfully imprisoned for a bombing in the 70's based on true events.

HELPP!!
Both those ideas sound really interesting. I'd probably go with the script. You can edit out a lot of dialogue and replace it with physicality. A brisbane physical theatre company (zen zen zo) is doing a production of Hamlet (dialogue heavy) that is normally 90 pages long, however reduced it to abut 30 through the substitution with physical movement. Explore how you can get the same effect of the script through movement. They are not marking you on how good the script is, but not offence, but most likely the person who wrote the script your teacher is offering is better than what you could come up with in one term. It is a performance and will come a long way from just being words on paper, trust me. You have to pick an idea and stick with it.

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
I'm basically finished with my script.
Now I just need to figure out my movements onstage- I hate watching people walking around aimlessly.
I have an idea in mind for my costume- I just need to buy a cheap white skirt and dirty it up.
I'm glad I have done most of my IP before now, as I think we all need to focus on our GP's?

Chazzz91

HSC
I've found my monologue, edited it, learnt most of it off by heart, but i have no idea what else im supposed to write in my log book!!

cassiecocaine

HSC
I've pretty much finished it, and I'm now trying to sort out all the movements to match the words and the expressions and stuff. I sort of know what props I'll have, and the costume.

I wasn't happy with it for the first few weeks, because my beginning wasn't strong enough, but I changed it completely and I was overjoyed with the result.

Hope I can keep going like this, it's going great!

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
I'm basically finished with my script.
I take that back.
According to my teacher, who I go to see every week, "there's no climax" and "repetitious".
She tells me that in front of the whole class, but never said anything when I go to see her individually.
GAH! Frakking double standards.
'tis back to the drawing board.

Some people in my class have only just written their first draft :S

Chazzz91

HSC
But what are you guys writing in your log books?
I've written down ideas for actions, written about the author of the book (i adapted my monologue from a random novel), written about costume ideas, written about my actual character and what she's feeling...but i'm not even halfway through my log book!

Now I've learnt my monologue, but my log book seems empty...
:confused:
:uhoh:

Nightsarah

HSC
I got my trail performance this Thursday. I'm very happy with mine now. I've exhausted my teacher in continuously taking her feedback and improving it. Neither of us have anything more to say about it. I've found my costume and...yeah! Its all happening. I'm looking forward to getting feedback on my trials in order to improve it more.
I think a lot of people have trouble taking feedback without getting discouraged. It is an important thing to be able to accept criticism as a gift to help make your performance great...I dunno...I've just seen a lot of people get burnt when they can't cop it. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)