IP selection help (1 Viewer)

ncoul

HSC
I'm approaching year 12 and would ideally like to decide on a monologue these holidays. I don't really know my limitations nor versatility as an actor as i've only acted in occasional performances. I really enjoyed doing a monologue of Harold Pinter's 'The Caretaker' last term, achieving the highest mark of 19/20- just an indication of the type of performance i'm good at. I really enjoy tragedy, loss and existentialism in monologues. This might sound silly, but i kind of want to do an inebriated character, exploring difficulties in their life. So, my one question is- where do i begin in finding a monologue? Also, are movie monologues discouraged?

Any suggestions would be great

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Movie monologues are not discouraged per se, the problem occurs due to interpretation. People just act it exactly the way it is in the movie, which doesn't really show that they can understand and develop a monologue, merely that they can copy someone else's performance.

As for scripts, you really want to start reading now. Penguin Books release collections of scripts by individual writers, so you can read multiple at once from each writer.

People to start with (and possible plays):

Eugene O'Neil (Ice Man Cometh, Long Days Journey Into The Night)
Edward Albee (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf)
Sam Shepard
Samuel Beckett
Philip Ridley (Pitchfork Disney)
Howard Barker
Mark Ravenhill (Shopping and Fucking)
Anthony Neilson (Penetrator)

And of course, definitely get a hold of more Pinter if you enjoyed his writing.

ncoul

HSC
Movie monologues are not discouraged per se, the problem occurs due to interpretation. People just act it exactly the way it is in the movie, which doesn't really show that they can understand and develop a monologue, merely that they can copy someone else's performance.

As for scripts, you really want to start reading now. Penguin Books release collections of scripts by individual writers, so you can read multiple at once from each writer.

People to start with (and possible plays):

Eugene O'Neil (Ice Man Cometh, Long Days Journey Into The Night)
Edward Albee (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf)
Sam Shepard
Samuel Beckett
Philip Ridley (Pitchfork Disney)
Howard Barker
Mark Ravenhill (Shopping and Fucking)
Anthony Neilson (Penetrator)

And of course, definitely get a hold of more Pinter if you enjoyed his writing.
You really do have extensive knowledge of playwrights, wow. Thanks heaps, will undoubtedly be reading over the next few days.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You really do have extensive knowledge of playwrights, wow. Thanks heaps, will undoubtedly be reading over the next few days.
Not all of those are what you're after, but they sort of relate to what I think you may like and/or be good at. I'm studying Theatre at uni, so I've read heaps of plays. It's remembering them that's the difficult part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)