iPad or MacBook (1 Viewer)

hellohowslife

HSC
Hello, I’m a year 10 student going into year 11 and am planning on buying a device for next year. Will it be better to get a MacBook or iPad Pro with the keyboard and pencil. Also, I’m probs going to be doing IPT as one of my subjects and, since I’m not entirely sure what that is, I’m wondering if I need any softwares that aren’t available on an iPad
Thanks

also if it’s relevant I’m doin English adv, maths, business, eco, legal and IPT or bio or PE

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, I’m a year 10 student going into year 11 and am planning on buying a device for next year. Will it be better to get a MacBook or iPad Pro with the keyboard and pencil. Also, I’m probs going to be doing IPT as one of my subjects and, since I’m not entirely sure what that is, I’m wondering if I need any softwares that aren’t available on an iPad
Thanks

also if it’s relevant I’m doin English adv, maths, business, eco, legal and IPT or bio or PE
For IPT you will most likely need Software that's not available on an Ipad. For example Premiere Pro, Photoshop etc. Ipad does have it's own versions but they're nowhere near as good and if you want the top marks you will need the ones on a Laptop. I would in general recommend a laptop over an Ipad IF you can afford it because it's much easier to take notes, for example LaTeX for Maths. Otherwise an Ipad probably is sufficient enough.

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Thanks

Probably better to get a laptop if you don't already have a good one at home or a PC at home. If you do have one of those at home, an iPad would be a good addition. Check this out >

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Macbook Pro is easier to type/write essay's on.

vinlatte

HSC
Thanks.
Also, for IPT do you need to have done IST in years 9/10?
I think it does help with learning the basics of computer hardware and software as well as learning how to use copy-paste coding and photoshop. I did IST in yr 9 since my school didn't offer a 2 year subject, but I haven't done IPT in yr 11/12.

As long as you know some basics of any IT concept, you should be fine doing IPT without IST. You can always use resources and research to get a head start on content.

Arrowshaft

HSC
For IPT you will most likely need Software that's not available on an Ipad. For example Premiere Pro, Photoshop etc. Ipad does have it's own versions but they're nowhere near as good and if you want the top marks you will need the ones on a Laptop. I would in general recommend a laptop over an Ipad IF you can afford it because it's much easier to take notes, for example LaTeX for Maths. Otherwise an Ipad probably is sufficient enough.
LaTeX is an industry standard for uni maths/ science students though. While i agree its good to learn it, i feel students like us will find it easier and faster to take notes by hand. Also idk if its the case for other schools but when i did SDD in prelims the school provided us with a computer lab where we could do our work and everything would sync to our home computers. Idk, i feel iPads in general are more versatile in terms of not only hand written notes but storage and ease of access to files and notes w/o lugging around giant schoolbags.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks

1. Don't get an iPad Pro if it's going to be your primary device. Definitely not what I'd be bringing to school either.
2. What laptops does your school suggest/support (if they have a requirement or preference?); or do you have a preference (or is it just Apple?)

I've owned multiple iPad Pros and Surface products and used them in a work environment (so not that different) and honestly the stylus/pen is not that useful. Unless you need to draw something, chances are you can type it faster and it keeps your hands in the one spot.

hellohowslife

HSC
1. Don't get an iPad Pro if it's going to be your primary device. Definitely not what I'd be bringing to school either.
2. What laptops does your school suggest/support (if they have a requirement or preference?); or do you have a preference (or is it just Apple?)

I've owned multiple iPad Pros and Surface products and used them in a work environment (so not that different) and honestly the stylus/pen is not that useful. Unless you need to draw something, chances are you can type it faster and it keeps your hands in the one spot.
Thanks, also do you think the new 16’ MacBook Pro would be too big for school?

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
what i recommend- an ipad pro with an apple pencil (feels so good to write with it will literally make you want to study, and it's so easy to make colourful notes and erase mistakes), but as mentioned by someone before, an ipad should not be your primary device so you should have a desktop at home (you can use ur ipad at school) and for the IPT software you can do that on the desktop at home. if you don't want both, then a laptop would be the best option.

studiesofboard

HSC
iPad:
- cheaper
- more fun to use as said above
- touch screen
- apps that you may need will probs be available

Mac book:
- expensive
- but has a physical keyboard
- probably has all the apps that you need (so does iPad)

I think it depends more on how much you are willing to pay :)

ultra908

HSC
get a surface or smth if you want both the writing capability and the laptop bit.
tbh i dont see the big appeal in tablets and apple pens and the such.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
get a surface or smth if you want both the writing capability and the laptop bit.
tbh i dont see the big appeal in tablets and apple pens and the such.
Yeah I've got the Surface Pro, it's quite good for both aspects of being able to write on it and then use it as a laptop as well. It's decent in size where it's not too small or too big

Zackeroo

HSC
Don't bother with the iPad... I got both and have to say that having a physical laptop (Mac or Windows) will absolutely demolish the iPad when it comes to practicality.

However, if you still would like to compare the practicality between the two devices, here is a quick overview of each of their advantages:
MacBook:
Advantages:
- Physical keyboard (Type longer and faster)
- OS has much more functionality (Since this is a desktop/laptop OS, you get much more functionality from programs, allowing the device to be more capable for the work you will be doing during school)
- Ability to run Windows (At times, you might be required to use a specific program which is only available on Windows. With an iPad, you have no option except to buy a Windows PC, but on a Mac, you can use boot camp to run Windows and run the windows programs)

iPad:
Advantages:
- Small form factor (Extremely portable and easy to carry around)
- Much more advanced screen (The 120Hz ProMotion iPad screen is absolutely stunning, with a much better experience compared to the MacBook, however you must keep in mind that if you don't get the 12.9", the screen will be significantly smaller compared to the MacBook)
- Much more fun to own (With a MacBook, you will often find that many games won't provide an amazing experience due to it being... A Mac - On an iPad, games are perfectly optimised for the device, providing an amazing gaming experience during your spare time)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)