iPad. (1 Viewer)

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Is it fully compatible with the latest microsoft excel? (sorry if it is a stupid question - I dont even know much about iphone let alone an ipad).

I have a bunch of excel spreadsheets that I use often for neuro assessments, but the formulaes are pretty complicated - it has to be at least excel 2007.
I'm p sure Numbers supports export and import to excel 2007 yo.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
It's Apple - so no.
Read: I've got no fuckin idea what I'm talking about

MSFT are pretty likely to put out a stripped down version of Office 2010/2011 for the iPad according to rumours.

Numbers seems to work pretty well on it, but dude it's a consumption/creation device. It's not the best for heaps of data entry because you don't have that sweet ass number pad that you would have in other devices.

For typing up notes, managing sketches and formulas, for having textbooks and other stuff on hand everywhere and being able to annotate and highlight and mark up the textbooks it is *great*.

For pretty heavy duty hard core stuff, it's not the best device. When I have heaps of coding to do or a presentation to give or just want to pirate a fuckload of stuff at Uni, I'd take my MacBook Pro in, tbqh.

But for day to day stuff and keeping notes catalogued and making sure I don't fuck around on the internet all day and actually get stuff done, it's been pretty damn rad. Taken more notes in the past two days than I have most of the semester. Heh.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC

MSFT are pretty likely to put out a stripped down version of Office 2010/2011 for the iPad according to rumours.

Numbers seems to work pretty well on it, but dude it's a consumption/creation device. It's not the best for heaps of data entry because you don't have that sweet ass number pad that you would have in other devices.

For typing up notes, managing sketches and formulas, for having textbooks and other stuff on hand everywhere and being able to annotate and highlight and mark up the textbooks it is *great*.

For pretty heavy duty hard core stuff, it's not the best device. When I have heaps of coding to do or a presentation to give or just want to pirate a fuckload of stuff at Uni, I'd take my MacBook Pro in, tbqh.

But for day to day stuff and keeping notes catalogued and making sure I don't fuck around on the internet all day and actually get stuff done, it's been pretty damn rad. Taken more notes in the past two days than I have most of the semester. Heh.
Did this when i bought my laptop to school.

Does the iPad have a decent touch screen with drawing/sketch apps and will it work with a Stylis?

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Seems like a wanna be 10 inch netbook.
It's really a different use case and a different paradigm. It's an entirely touch-driven interface, providing an entirely different level of interactivity and usability. The screen also kicks the shit out of the average 10" netbook's screen, IPS absolutely blows everything away for text kerning/density and overall colour density as well as viewing angle.

The iPad, at least for students is for taking notes and having your textbooks/ebooks on it as well as a few games, or as a development platform.

If you want to do a billion things at once and run software that isn't available for the iPad, simply don't get one.

If you want a light and simple alternative to a netbook, with a shitton of battery life that has a less expansive feature set but works for what you want, grab one.

The apps on it are good now, but really aren't to the same level of applications that we've seen for the iPhone, thus far. Again, that's one of the reasons I got mine, to build applications that I'd actually want to use on the device.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Did this when i bought my laptop to school.

Does the iPad have a decent touch screen with drawing/sketch apps and will it work with a Stylis?
Dude it's got like 20 point multi touch, with insane touch resolution.

Grab a pogo stylus (Work on capacitive screens) for like 3 bux with free shipping from DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1)

used one today, got a lot of cool stuff working

I'll show you the styling without the capacitive stylus

So I mean it works pretty well even with my fat fingers, but with the stylus it's way more granular.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad

According to some other rumours, they're not. Or it's not a priority, or something. Either way, you're unlikely to get the fully fledged MS office there.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Question: Which would you recommend, Wifi or 3G model? and how much storage is good?
I got the 3G 32GB which has been more than enough for me to load it up with more books and comics and other shit than I'll ever get around to reading whilst also having a decent amount of breathing room for other stuff (music/videos etc).

I'm kind of regretting throwing down extra for the 3G because I use it basically at home and at uni and barely surf the web enough on my commute to justify it. If you've got a huge commute I'd go the 3G because the data plans are pretty cheap, otherwise Wifi is more than enough.

16GB Wifi would be more than enough for basically everyone.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
According to some other rumours, they're not. Or it's not a priority, or something. Either way, you're unlikely to get the fully fledged MS office there.
Yeah absolutely not, the point is saying carte blanche that Apple products are incompatible with other products just because they are Apple is fucking retarded.

Point is the platform exists for third party developers to write a killer fucking excel app if they wanted to, I already said it's probably not the best platform for excel compared to other dudes.

the .xlsx format is completely open spec, so if someone wanted to build a viewer/editor (macros and all) it'd be up to them thinking a market exists for it.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Dude it's got like 20 point multi touch, with insane touch resolution.

Grab a pogo stylus (Work on capacitive screens) for like 3 bux with free shipping from DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1)

used one today, got a lot of cool stuff working

I'll show you the styling without the capacitive stylus

So I mean it works pretty well even with my fat fingers, but with the stylus it's way more granular.
Fucking A.

+ Dealexteme rock, apart from their 3/4 correct products.

Sent me a Male AV-Audio cable where i ordered a Female.

xMaNx

HSC
I got the 3G 32GB which has been more than enough for me to load it up with more books and comics and other shit than I'll ever get around to reading whilst also having a decent amount of breathing room for other stuff (music/videos etc).

I'm kind of regretting throwing down extra for the 3G because I use it basically at home and at uni and barely surf the web enough on my commute to justify it. If you've got a huge commute I'd go the 3G because the data plans are pretty cheap, otherwise Wifi is more than enough.

16GB Wifi would be more than enough for basically everyone.
Thanks.

Another Question: Whats the Wifi range on it?

My iPhone's wifi range is about 15 meters, and if the door's closed it rarely picks up the wifi, and if it does, it dies in a few minutes. Is this similar? asking because I noticed low strength on yours.

Also, does it make too much of a difference on low and high wifi signal?

spence

HSC
I'm probably going to get one after exams. Will prob get it with 3G, but not sure what size to get. I'm pretty sure 32 will be enough, but its only about $100 extra to get double the size, so I might end up getting 64gb

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Thanks.

Another Question: Whats the Wifi range on it?

My iPhone's wifi range is about 15 meters, and if the door's closed it rarely picks up the wifi, and if it does, it dies in a few minutes. Is this similar? asking because I noticed low strength on yours.

Also, does it make too much of a difference on low and high wifi signal?

Meh no real difference, I'm about 15M away from the wireless base station and through two walls.

I've gotten wifi outside on the street, too.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Kinda want one now, kinda.
Yeah, the bastard sells it good.

Rothbard, is this a good alternative for a laptop for an HSC student who will basically use it for school in the forms of word processing and research?

Last edited:

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

Rothbard, is this a good alternative for a laptop for an HSC student who will basically use it for school?
I don't know how easy it would be to get HSC textbooks for the iPad dude. For Uni stuff it's pretty easy to get textbooks (Particularly in Engineering).

I don't know man, likelihood of it getting broken/stolen at school is way higher than likelihood of it getting stolen/broken at Uni.

xMaNx

HSC
I don't know how easy it would be to get HSC textbooks for the iPad dude. For Uni stuff it's pretty easy to get textbooks (Particularly in Engineering).

I don't know man, likelihood of it getting broken/stolen at school is way higher than likelihood of it getting stolen/broken at Uni.

Rothbard, is this a good alternative for a laptop for an HSC student who will basically use it for school in the forms of word processing and research?
hmmm... there's a shit load of science textbooks for hsc, guess it could come in handy instead of carrying a brick (or a few) to school yeh?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
This has been the most helpful thread I've ever created.

If the iPad swings the right way with the right Apps etc... I'll consider getting one in a year or so. Until then, MacBook Pro shall serve me well as it always has.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, I'll wait till gen 2 or 3 probably, if I still ~kinda~ want one at that point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)