iPhone or not? (1 Viewer)

css

HSC
I'm trying to figure out if I should get an iPhone.
I like the interface and the aesthetics and I'm a mac person, but I'm not sure.
Pros/Cons anyone? Advice?

And 3GS or just the old one?

Decisions.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
pros - phone + ipod in one is a huge convenience. very good time killer if you've got the right apps.

cons - bit bigger than the average phone nowadays, price tag.

johony

HSC
yes. every other clone is shit, except for android based ones

normal 3g is fine if you dont care about the extra features. you could pick an used 8gb up for about 500 now.

Stephie-Rae

HSC
I'm not entirely sure, because i don't have one. but i have i few friend's who do and i've heard they're incredibly over rated and a pain in the ass to use.

css

HSC
pros - phone + ipod in one is a huge convenience. very good time killer if you've got the right apps.

cons - bit bigger than the average phone nowadays, price tag.
Price isn't so much of an issue, but I don't want to get gipped for a less than great phone for the price.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm not entirely sure, because i don't have one. but i have i few friend's who do and i've heard they're incredibly over rated and a pain in the ass to use.
Uh huh.

I've had an iPhone since the original (non-3G) came out, and I still have it. Best phone out there, imho.

css

HSC
Haha, yeah. Unfortunately my birthday list doesn't stretch as far as gifts for strangers :)

css

HSC
Size hasn't been a problem for me at all. I could understand cost issues, but not size ones.
I guess size is the sticking point. I'm a pocket person and I tend to lug everything around in a pocket of some form. I'm just worried im going to get sick of it, or drop it.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
it's basically flat, so it's not as if it's chunky and can't fit into pockets. i'm a pocket person too and i love my iphone.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
yea the flatness of it is really great.

its good in your back pockets.

if you can afford it and don't mind using touch screen, i'd highly recommend it.

css

HSC
Yeah that's true.
My dad's got one and his fat fingers don't seem to be much of an issue in terms of using it...
Now I have to concentrate on affording the data plan >.<

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I can't justify it, its got a shit camera, mediocre space for music, and is inferior to my laptop. The fact it fits into a pocket is irrelevant since I carry a bag everywhere for work anyway.

If you can justify that, then its great, I suppose.

css

HSC
I can't justify it, its got a shit camera, mediocre space for music, and is inferior to my laptop. The fact it fits into a pocket is irrelevant since I carry a bag everywhere for work anyway.

If you can justify that, then its great, I suppose.
I was hoping to be able to chuck out my iPod. Damn.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I was hoping to be able to chuck out my iPod. Damn.
how many songs do you actually listen to on your ipod though? i had an 80gb ipod, and now a 16gb iphone, and i've just put the songs that i actually listen to on it, and it doesn't take up much at all. most of mine is taken up by photos and i haven't even taken up half, so yeah.

Joel8945

HSC
I'm trying to figure out if I should get an iPhone.
I like the interface and the aesthetics and I'm a mac person, but I'm not sure.
Pros/Cons anyone? Advice?

And 3GS or just the old one?

Decisions.
Pros: Apple product, memory range (8GB, 16GB or 32GB (3GS)), easy to use, touch screen and is not a clone that other phone companies have tried to have done (this is the real iphone)

Cons: Price tag and phone companies ready to exploit the phone (You can get this plan for $x oh and you also need a data plan for $y and whatever the heck else they want to charge you with. (But not that this isn't done with other phones anyway) and updates every year.

Overall great phone (actually the best phone), I would love to get one but settled with the ipod touch (still excellent and does most things the iphone does), everyone I know loves it (My engineering professor sometimes spends 5 minutes of the lecture raving about what it does).

If you can get the iphone get it. You may though want to be able to update your phone every year though (going by the trend).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am not a Mac fan at all and was sceptical but I love my new iphone.

I have the 8gb 3G version as I couldnt go for more than a $49 cap but its great.

The new one isnt really worth it unless you want the extra space as the majority of the new functions advertised you can get on the free upgrade.

Also regarding the space, you can compress your music down and an average jo like me can't tell the difference.

I think its a little expensive if you are buying it outright but if you get it on a good plan then totally worth it.

Its great to quickly check something on the net or your emails and you can get some cool apps to keep you occupied on trains/busses.

I love texting on it (it can be harder for people with big fingers) and now that you can turn the keyboard sideways and the keys get more spaced out its better!

If you do get one get a hard case and the thin platic screen protectors (ebay has some awesome deals on these and more variety than the shops) to protect it from getting scratched! Also read the terms of the plan and check how much data you get!

jaredtomas

HSC
I have the 16gb 3GS. It's A LOT faster than the 3G and it has a better camera. Tethering is handy too when you're not somewhere where you can steal wifi on your laptop.

I pay $69/month on Vodafone (gives me $400 off calls/texts, 1GB of data). If you're an NRMA/RAC/RACV etc. member you get 10% off the monthly access fee which is good so I only pay $62.10 per month.

It's a bit more expensive than your average phone, but then again iPhone isn't your average phone.

It's worth every penny IMO.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)