iPhone or not? (1 Viewer)

efhat

HSC
basically thats what i meant

if u already have a phone wats the point of having one while theres a ipod touch available with basically the same features
um, why carry two things around when you can get one that does the lot.

css

HSC
The 3GS isn't that much more expensive than the 3G if you go on the plan.

Get the 3GS.
I think I'll wait until 3 releases the 3GS and see what the goss on the plans is.
It's good to be 3, and I wanna stay that way.
July 17th, yo.

HSC
um, why carry two things around when you can get one that does the lot.
Mobile Phone: meant for answering/making calls

Ipod Touch: listening to music and other stuff that ur able to do

the only thing different between the Iphone and Ipod Touch is that with the Iphone its basically an Ipod Touch with mobile use. Thats it.

efhat

HSC
:bomb: omg you don't get what i'm saying do you, one item, not two

it should be, why get an ipod touch when you can get an iphone.

johony

HSC
I think I'll wait until 3 releases the 3GS and see what the goss on the plans is.
It's good to be 3, and I wanna stay that way.
July 17th, yo.
+1

sick of my pos 5800

HSC
:bomb: omg you don't get what i'm saying do you, one item, not two

it should be, why get an ipod touch when you can get an iphone.
ahhk i see my bad then

i meant earlier if someone already got an ipod touch then what is the point of buying one thing similar with only one added feature.

johony

HSC
hahah, xpressmusic.
nokia music software is a fail imho, and even my se walkman w910i software falls short.
the s60 software in general is a big fail
its really, really awful.

people talk about 'oh mah gawd, dis 5800 haz so mani featurez ova iphone'
but whats the point of having heaps more features when the usability is absolute shithouse

jaredtomas

HSC
the s60 software in general is a big fail
its really, really awful.

people talk about 'oh mah gawd, dis 5800 haz so mani featurez ova iphone'
but whats the point of having heaps more features when the usability is absolute shithouse
I agree. My last phone was a Nokia with the stupid ass Symbian software on it and it crashed almost daily, had to take it into get repaired about 4 times during my two year contract.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
All the Vodafone iPhone 3GS caps are great value. Three are getting the iPhone in a couple weeks and I'm sure their pricing will be very competitive.

Stay away from Optus is all I can say haha.
okay, i really don't get why everyone says to stay away from optus? i have no problems with them at all? i don't get a choice though, so yeah, was just wondering what's so apparently bad about it?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Most of the iphones features are less than impressive compared to other smartphones already out there, lets face it, the camera and video is a few generations behind, tethering, etc have all been in the market for a while.

The reason you get an iphone is really for its browsing capabilities and the appstore, so if that's what you want to use it for, then hit it up.

css

HSC
And they never will, which is something you should know if you've written a piece of code.

My iPhone syncs all my calendars OTA (lectures, dates, etc), I use Things to organise my tasks (which also syncs), I have 2000+ songs that I listen to all the time (if you don't get an iPhone because you can't fit your whole music collection on it then you're a tard, do you even listen to all of it?), I get to write code for a popular platform with it, I sync my Google Reader account OTA using Byline, I can also sync reddit articles with iReddit, scrobble to last.fm live with scrobble, I sleep listening to News Radio podcasts which stream using ABC, I am connected to MSN/Facebook/GTalk using Beejive IM and its push notifications, I read timeless books on the train using Classics, track my finances with Ledger, twitter anywhere with Twitterrific, and finally, check rail timetables with TripView.

I was close to getting a HTC Magic since it has a better future (eventually more devices, Java development and C framework coming soon), but my 3GS basically does everything.
I will never, ever do many of these things.
But it does sound exciting.

What is a "scrobble"?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
okay, i really don't get why everyone says to stay away from optus? i have no problems with them at all? i don't get a choice though, so yeah, was just wondering what's so apparently bad about it?
Their network can be patchy at times. I am with them, and it fluctuates from single bar of 2G to full 3G during phone calls at times. But unless you are with Telstra, your network is going to be less than effective.

I will never, ever do many of these things.
But it does sound exciting.

What is a "scrobble"?
A scrobble is a fancy Last.FM (music app that tracks your listening) term. Basically, it tracks your listening from your iTunes/iPod, and uploads them to your Last.FM profile, so your friends can see what you are listening to. Also, it can use the data to determine patterns between users and can suggest music users may like based on this.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I can't justify it, its got a shit camera, mediocre space for music, and is inferior to my laptop. The fact it fits into a pocket is irrelevant since I carry a bag everywhere for work anyway.

If you can justify that, then its great, I suppose.
Compared to what?

The 32Gb 3GS has the equal highest storage space out of any phone currently available and the camera has vastly improved (enough to take perfectly reasonable snaps most of the time).

Of course it's inferior to your laptop, apples with apples?

The 3GS is the best handset on the market by a fairly wide margin.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Most of the iphones features are less than impressive compared to other smartphones already out there, lets face it, the camera and video is a few generations behind, tethering, etc have all been in the market for a while.

The reason you get an iphone is really for its browsing capabilities and the appstore, so if that's what you want to use it for, then hit it up.
what other smartphones are as good as or better than the iphone? (excluding appstore)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Their network can be patchy at times. I am with them, and it fluctuates from single bar of 2G to full 3G during phone calls at times. But unless you are with Telstra, your network is going to be less than effective.

A scrobble is a fancy Last.FM (music app that tracks your listening) term. Basically, it tracks your listening from your iTunes/iPod, and uploads them to your Last.FM profile, so your friends can see what you are listening to. Also, it can use the data to determine patterns between users and can suggest music users may like based on this.
yeah i suppose. i have wireless internet and sometimes it's 1 bar gprs then changes to hsdpa the next second without moving. i see your point. but it's not that bad.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Compared to what?

The 32Gb 3GS has the equal highest storage space out of any phone currently available and the camera has vastly improved (enough to take perfectly reasonable snaps most of the time).

Of course it's inferior to your laptop, apples with apples?

The 3GS is the best handset on the market by a fairly wide margin.
The camera has vastly improved, up to the standard of phones in terms of quality and megapixels a couple of years ago.

32gbs is not 160gbs or more.

It's not a laptop of course, but if a laptop is just as convenient to carry around, there's no advantage to carrying something around which may integrate the same or similar functions at a lesser quality.

Read the rest of the comment, I can't justify it because I carry my laptop around with my work stuff.

what other smartphones are as good as or better than the iphone? (excluding appstore)
I'm not saying the iphone as a whole is better or worse, I'm saying the features on it are present or done better by other phones. Read the comment.

The Blackberry is still the king of corporate, the nokias have been reliable and decent phones for a while which can *gasp* make phone calls and MMS, cameras from a range of phone makers as well as having impressive video recording has been present for a while.

Again, having said that, the app store and the consolidated multimedia/browsing features are what sets the iphone apart. But please don't try and talk up the other features as if they were deal breakers or new shit.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
I can't justify it, its got a shit camera, mediocre space for music, and is inferior to my laptop. The fact it fits into a pocket is irrelevant since I carry a bag everywhere for work anyway.

If you can justify that, then its great, I suppose.
I dont see how 8gb or even 32gb is mediorce really...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)