+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
j.u.l.i.e said:
u guys gotta know how to buy the asian way
i say HAGGLE and stand there until u get the bast possible price
coz the shops up price everything heaps
im asian.. i sold electricals..
and i hav shopped for an ipod..
i worked lik 20 places was dodgy as hell..

and u kno wat? i realise that the margins at almost any store were lik nothin for ipods.. apple has a tightly regulated market here.. best i got was about 10% off.. and that was massive dodgy

HSC
my mate went to singapore and the ipod was same price, the japanese class went to japan and told me its same price there too, i have no idea on china on indonesia but ill assume its the same[/QUOTE]

hey Casmira when'd ur mate go to Singapore, coz i got a relo whos going to be in Singapore in a few weeks an im hoping the price is cheaper over there for the mini ipod...[/QUOTE]

roughly in may

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
j.u.l.i.e said:
u guys gotta know how to buy the asian way
i say HAGGLE and stand there until u get the bast possible price
coz the shops up price everything heaps
yeah mostly true but not with iPods (see above). Everyone's best shot is with the Apple 10% off thing (if that applies to iPods?).

I got a $3200 rrp 3CCD video camera down to $2300 with tapes and a case included by playing a few retailers off against each other. In the end I ended up buying off an asian - Bing Lee. ;)

Last edited:

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
does anybody know if u can get the student discount off the web?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
mr_speedy said:
does anybody know if u can get the student discount off the web?
You should be able to. I get teacher discount via the web all the time + they throw in free postage so it is a true discount. Go to the apple site (make sure its the Aussie one...dont do what my wife did and get excited about american teacher pricing!!) and put in your school and go from there. They have never asked me for teacher ID or anything, just my school.
golfstick said:
i dunno but you can get the 40gb ipod for $574 from dick smiths (see www.dse.com.au) which is $75 off rrp.
same deal at next byte www.nextbyte.com.au Saw a flyer there on Saturday so Im guessing its a major Xmas promotion.

Still wish I had waited till Xmas to get mine so I could get my hands on one of those photo Ipods....oh well.........

Bone577

HSC
N/A
iRiver, go for the iRivers. Better format support (like OGG and FLAC, which are IMO the best formats out there along with Musepack). Better sound quality (or so the experts at head-fi.com say. They are also a funcky black colour and have colour screens.

machima

HSC
Bone577 said:
iRiver, go for the iRivers. Better format support (like OGG and FLAC, which are IMO the best formats out there along with Musepack). Better sound quality (or so the experts at head-fi.com say. They are also a funcky black colour and have colour screens.
Quoted for truth.

Sure, the iPod looks awesome, but the battery life is horrible and it doesn't support nearly as much as other players. The iRiver is $100 more, but the colour screen and extra features make up for it.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Could someone clear these up for me:
- What's with all the '2nd/3rd/4th' generation iPODS? What's the difference between them?
- Also I'm a keen runner and gym goer, and I've always held the fear that running with an iPOD or any other hard disk based mp3 player doesn't exactly help it's longevity. Now I know many of you people here are iPOD addicts, so there many be some bias and I may just get a 'that's bullshit, it'll still last the same time as if you weren't active'.. but really, there must be some validity in my words right?
- How's the durability on this thing? I heard the white outside bit scratches easily but I don't really give a shit about that. I'm more worried about whether or not dropping it often is a big issue. Now of course I try to avoid dropping mp3 players in any circumstances but I don't want to drop this thing twice by accident and find out that it's permanently stuffed.
- What's the price difference between the 40G and 20G versions? Also, is there an version bigger than 40GB?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Also:
- I asked a question about equalizers before, but does the iPOD allow you to adjust your own EQs? The preset ones usually don't fit what I'm looking for.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
Could someone clear these up for me:
- What's with all the '2nd/3rd/4th' generation iPODS? What's the difference between them?
2nd gen:

# Is fairly primitive and is no longer sold due to being grossly outdated.

Third gen:

# Had lots of bug fixes;
# Has the pure touch wheel and four touch buttons up the top;
# Has new features; different menu layout etc.

Fourth gen:

# Has a click wheel (touch wheel but click buttons);
# Updated firmware;
# Can charge through USB, not just firewire (major bonus!).

JKDDragon said:
I've always held the fear that running with an iPOD or any other hard disk based mp3 player doesn't exactly help it's longevity.... but really, there must be some validity in my words right?
I'd tend to agree with you with the larger Ipods (minis have running cases and I doubt they'd get too shaken around), but I think it may be where you store it that's the problem. Closer to the center of gravity and your belt is no doubt the best place to keep it, as one would move their arms and legs more than their waist.

However, I don't know if there is any official statement on this, or whether you can damage it, but I would place an educated guess that there may indeed be issues when running with it.

JKDDragon said:
How's the durability on this thing? I heard the white outside bit scratches easily but I don't really give a shit about that. I'm more worried about whether or not dropping it often is a big issue. Now of course I try to avoid dropping mp3 players in any circumstances but I don't want to drop this thing twice by accident and find out that it's permanently stuffed.
My white screen is perfect; The back silver is a little scratched but that's fine. Dropping it would be like dropping a hard drive - not a good thing to do. I wouldn't think it would survive many drops. Soft surfaces obviously won't do much, but if you plan to drop it on concrete or another hard surface, can't guarantee it'll live.

JKDDragon said:
What's the price difference between the 40G and 20G versions? Also, is there an version bigger than 40GB?
20GB are about $500, and 40GB are around $650 I believe, maybe $700. They are bringing out a 60GB, but as far as I know you cannot purchase those as of yet.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Thanks MadNez, you've been very helpful. Oh one more thing, so the 3rd gen ones are still on sale? What would be the best way to ensure I get a 4th gen one only? (i.e is the generation explicitly stated on the box or something?)

MedNez

HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
Thanks MadNez, you've been very helpful. Oh one more thing, so the 3rd gen ones are still on sale? What would be the best way to ensure I get a 4th gen one only? (i.e is the generation explicitly stated on the box or something?)
http://www.jdhodges.com/l_photos/1/photos_2003_08_31_tulsa_and_springfield/pb283806.jpg

^ 3rd Gen

http://www.mednez.net/pub/ipod/front.jpg

^4th gen (ignore the nomad to the right, i was comparing ancient and new mp3 players)

And yes, it should be clearly marked on the box. I don't think most stores ship 3G ones anymore. Especially Ipod stores - if you get it from there (same price as everywhere else), just check them to check.

Med

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
The best way to get a 3G iPod (if you really want one - and i know people who dont like clickwheel, so they like the 3G) is to go to some of the places that sell them (like, i think it was toyworld) and see if they still have them...

You can get the 60GB one, and have been able to for a while now... (*Drooled every time i walked past the apple store on campus towards the end of the uni year*)

MedNez is a bit out on his prices though... 40Gb 4G iPod is $574 until christmas from any apple store.

Collin

HSC
N/A
So the price will go up again after Christmas.. back to 600 something? Also, could I get the 10% discount on the $574 making it $520 something?

Fosweb

HSC
Dunno. Just saw the ad in Icon saturday. Try looking at apple.com.au or call them or something.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Fosweb said:
MedNez is a bit out on his prices though... 40Gb 4G iPod is $574 until christmas from any apple store.
Ah, cool. Last I checked they were over 600 :(

A discount on 574 would be nice though, make it just over the price of a normal 20gb Ipod. Look up the Apple Centres in the white pages and give your closest one a ring =)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Just to recognise Ogg Vorbis: It's the only format I rip in. Good stuff.

Fosweb

HSC
If you had an iPod, the only format you would rip in would be AAC.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Fosweb said:
If you had an iPod, the only format you would rip in would be AAC.
Nah.. while plugins do exist for winamp to play aac, I'm happy encoding everything as mp3 for useability on any system =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)