IPT Marathon 2006 (1 Viewer)

Snowboi2k

Awesome Member
HSC
Hey sorry Oberst Fan i just posted up my question and realised that u might have missed the quesion posted by shinjii, well there would be 2 questions up for the next runner up ^^

Question: What are the differences between Context Diagrams and Dataflow Diagrams?

Question: Briefly describe three network topologies

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
RAWR. im up to it =D

Difference:
Context diagram is only a simple diagram that shows the major processes between the entities of a system. It only has one flow of inputs, processes and outputs.

DFD: describes the system in terms of numerous inputs, outputs, processes and storage. focuses more on the flow of data between information processes whereas a context diagram just shows the flow of data.

STAR: consists of nodes being connected to a central hub so they are able to communicate. Nodes can easily be added and removed and the failure of one node doesn't effect the actual network.

BUS: nodes are connected to a backbone which begins and concludes with the use of a terminator (hehe). this protocol uses CSMA/CD error detection and nodes are easily added / removed from the bus. however, a failure in the actual backbone halts all network access

RING: nodes are connected one after another in the shape ofa circle. data flow is in one direction only. uses Token ring error detection which avoids errors. failure in one node renders the netwwork useless.

question: what are the two different network structures and describe them.

maskd

HSC
shinji said:
You forgot about SQL my friend =]. hehe
Relational/Logical operators are basically SQL ;)

Name = Jacob OR NAME = James

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
maskd said:
Relational/Logical operators are basically SQL ;)

Name = Jacob OR NAME = James
nuppers ...

SQL : select (field) from (tables) where (search criteria) order by (fieelds)

maskd

HSC
shinji said:
nuppers ...

SQL : select (field) from (tables) where (search criteria) order by (fieelds)
Yes I know an SQL query, I'm just saying that it's the logical/relational operators that are used inside an SQL query that specify what is searched for. I should have worded what I said better, sorry.

Last edited:

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
shinji said:
question: what are the two different network structures and describe them.
can someone answer this? i dont know what its referring to...damn, i thought i knew everything...or maybe its just the wording :confused:

Snowboi2k

Awesome Member
HSC
That seems quite confusing that question, but from my understanding all i can think of is maybe;

Ethernet - Allows data to be transferred simultaneously, a standard LAN access method.

And Token Ring - Operates by passing special data packets called tokens between nodes on a network

However i am extremely unsure of this answer, could someone please verify this ^^"

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
arn't these protocols? from what i know...ethernet is a protocol used commonly in Local area networks (LAN)
and Token ring is the protocol used in ring networks (topology) which is used to prevent data colliding between computers sending messages at the same time.

shinji- can u explain what u mean by *Netwok Structures* ?

justinchan

HSC
excel guide says that they are protocol standards used in a LAN for network management.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hmm.. my bad with the wording~

what i meant was the "Local Area Networks" and "Wide Area networks"

i guess that was bad wording eh? .. then again; it was off the top of my head~~

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
ain't tuple a row / record in a database? lol.

that was teh top off my head -_-''

my q: compare Intranet and Internet.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry I haven't got much time on me but as a suggestion, some of you guys are giving very short answers which IMO, don't do the question justice. Not going into specifics, if it helps, when asked a question try to include a definition, and to further reinforce it (and to get the full marks) maybe include an example of some sort. That's just my 2c- good luck in your tests tomorrow guys.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
ok.. from seremify007's idea... heres my comparison of the interweb and an intranet....
Internet
• An electronic communications network that connects computer networks and organizational computer facilities around the world.

Intranet
• An intranet is a restricted-access network that works like the Web, but isn't on it.
• Usually owned and managed by a company, an intranet enables a company to share its resources with its employees without confidential information being made available to everyone with Internet access.

Difference
• only individuals within an organisation have access to the intranet whilst the internet is able to be accessed by everyone in the world!

----
my question: pros and cons of TWO types of cabling

simonj2

hero
HSC
NB: edited answer and question

fiber optic:
advantages: fast, doesn't suffer from interference as it uses light instead of electrical signals.
drawbacks: expensive, breaks easily

twisted pair:
advantages: cheap, reliable
drawbacks: needs more repeaters due to copper's properties, can suffer from interference

Question: Compare and contrast the CSMA/CD and Token Ring methods of avoiding collisions.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
help_me_please said:
ok.. from seremify007's idea... heres my comparison of the interweb and an intranet....
Internet
• An electronic communications network that connects computer networks and organizational computer facilities around the world.

Intranet
• An intranet is a restricted-access network that works like the Web, but isn't on it.
• Usually owned and managed by a company, an intranet enables a company to share its resources with its employees without confidential information being made available to everyone with Internet access.

Difference
• only individuals within an organisation have access to the intranet whilst the internet is able to be accessed by everyone in the world!
Depending on length of space available or question value, I would say that's a good answer- but there's room for examples. I personally would write the internet is useful for things where the target audience includes people from a broad spectrum such as newspapers or weather reports. Contrasting this, intranets are internal networks which focus more on supplying information to people within an organisation such as a hospital or business. Whilst these can sometimes be accessed from outsiders via the internet through VPN connections, these tend to be more security conscious and focussed on only providing information to those who are authorised to access it.

I mean ultimately, whilst there are generic definitions as to what each one is- try to think about it with the "why" factor.

Sorry for not answering another Q.. i'll let the next person answer it 'coz I'm lazy.
Question: Compare and contrast the CD/CSMA and Token Ring methods of error correct/detection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)