IPT Scaling (1 Viewer)

moodchanger08

HSC
My teacher told our class that IPT will scale you down no matter how high your mark is, so, that's pretty strange. And I was wondering, I sat my IPT HSC exam in 2006, but I'm doing the rest of my HSC this year, will IPT be scaled according to 2006 results or will it be scaled according to 2008 results?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
moodchanger08 said:
My teacher told our class that IPT will scale you down no matter how high your mark is, so, that's pretty strange. And I was wondering, I sat my IPT HSC exam in 2006, but I'm doing the rest of my HSC this year, will IPT be scaled according to 2006 results or will it be scaled according to 2008 results?
your ipt mark would be scaled based on the 2006 scaling.

a lot of subject will scale down no matter how high your mark is. to make a valid statement you need to compared scaled marks. scaled marks on their own are meaningless.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Unwant3d said:
For the 2008 paper.
expect diagrams. as in DFD's, System Flow.etc and drawing them.
as there were NONE in the 2007 HSC.
There was a context diagram question in the multiple choice.

SimonLee13

HSC
The only subjects that scale up are MX1, MX2 and Latin. Everything else scales down, except the severeness differs.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Shroddyy said:
hey.....to everyone that does IPT....is it true that IPT will scale u DOWN unless u get a really high mark above 90 or something???

i heard that yesterday and i was like :eek: NO WAAYYYY!!!

please tell....its making me lose confidence and motivation, knowing that i have to do exceptionally well to get a good mark or it will drag me down!!
if u DO rly well like beat many people in your class like a me... you wont get affected! :D:D:D

Rock On

T

Troy2287

sungkwo said:
I am kinda unsure how scaling works but according to this guide: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2007_table_A3.pdf, IPT is capped at a scaled mark of a pathetic 93.6, and thats with a mark of 98- which is the top mark.
Correct, IPT maximum scaled mark is 93.6. However 98 is not the top mark...you can get 100, but it too scales to 93.6.

I wouldn't complain about it though, IPT scales crap, but is very easy to do well in. There are only 3 core chapters plus 2 options to learn. It is mostly basic stuff.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
The only subjects that scale up are MX1, MX2 and Latin. Everything else scales down, except the severeness differs.
That's not entirely true.

All subjects scale down generally. Even MX2 scales down in certain conditions (where the aligned mark is like <70).

Many subjects scale up if the aligned mark is high.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Umm i don't know why everyone is saying it scales badly..... I have always heard the opposite of careers advisors. and teachers.

It is something that can help you with your UAI.

T

Troy2287

emytaylor164 said:
Umm i don't know why everyone is saying it scales badly..... I have always heard the opposite of careers advisors. and teachers.

It is something that can help you with your UAI.
Yes as I said above, it is good because it is easy to do well in. However your careers advisors & teachers are wrong; IPT generally scales crap.

m00

HSC
dont worry about scaling, if you can get atleats a band 5 in it then be happy

jole1512

HSC
N/A
how much would IPT scale me down?
im getting 2nd in my class
and my average when i last cheaked was 92

benjihua93

HSC
a board of studies liason officer came to our school and told us that scaling doesnt exist is just a myth that people have created

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Troy2287 said:
Correct, IPT maximum scaled mark is 93.6. However 98 is not the top mark...you can get 100, but it too scales to 93.6.

I wouldn't complain about it though, IPT scales crap, but is very easy to do well in. There are only 3 core chapters plus 2 options to learn. It is mostly basic stuff.
So there's a maximum mark IPT can contribute to your UAI?
Not that I'm likely to get a UAI of 100, but isn't it theoretically possible to get a UAI of 100 with any combination of subjects?

What if you got 100% as a raw or aligned mark? Would it be scaled down then, or would it be scaled to 100% (aka 50.0).

undalay

HSC
pwoh said:
So there's a maximum mark IPT can contribute to your UAI?
Not that I'm likely to get a UAI of 100, but isn't it theoretically possible to get a UAI of 100 with any combination of subjects?

What if you got 100% as a raw mark? Would it be scaled down then, or would it be scaled to 100% (aka 50.0).
some subjects have uai caps

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
benjihua93 said:
a board of studies liason officer came to our school and told us that scaling doesnt exist is just a myth that people have created
well his lying, there is scaling, they just dont want it to affect ur subject choices which it shudn't.

trailblazer

HSC
benjihua93 said:
If scaling didn't exist, why would you want to do four unit maths? You would rather do the easy subjects like home economics and general maths instead

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
trailblazer said:
If scaling didn't exist, why would you want to do four unit maths? You would rather do the easy subjects like home economics and general maths instead
lol yeah, ur mark for 4unit wud b like 90 when u cud do another subject and it'll b like 95...when 4unit maths is harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)