IPT Study Thread (1 Viewer)

SamD

HSC
N/A
hey sam would you be able to help me with some communication protocols

communication protocols, including: application level protocols​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]http [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]smtp [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]SSL communication control and addressing level protocols [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]TCP [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]IP transmission level protocols [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]Ethernet [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]Token ring strategies for error detection

That would take some time...

Are you using my textbook? Have a read of the first few pages of the communication chapter - its an overview of all that stuff. You can download a PDF from our website Parramatta Education Centre if you haven't got it.

HTH
Sam

kurtt

HSC
That would take some time...

Are you using my textbook? Have a read of the first few pages of the communication chapter - its an overview of all that stuff. You can download a PDF from our website Parramatta Education Centre if you haven't got it.

HTH
Sam
oh your sam davis? yeh i have read a couple chapter from your book. Oh and im not sure if your looking for feedback or not but i found it a little to in depth for what the course involves in HSC. Dont get me wrong there is some great info and its up to date wit the new syllubus but i think that many other students would find it hard to understand with the detail that you go into. However i also understand that it is necessary to go into great detail in some cases.

SamD

HSC
N/A
oh and one more thing with and i should be right. can you explain management information systems (MIS)?
Fistly an MIS is not classified as a DSS. An MIS is used for structured decisions to do with the day-to-running of an organisation. eg. working out how many people will be on leave next week, how many widgets are left in the storeroom, how many widgets should we order given we usually sell 100 each weeks and it takes 2 weeks to get stock. Stuff like that. Usually the MIS is performing relatively simple SQL queries behind the scenes. Common stuff needed to manage the day-to-day running of a business.

HTH
Sam

kurtt

HSC
Fistly an MIS is not classified as a DSS. An MIS is used for structured decisions to do with the day-to-running of an organisation. eg. working out how many people will be on leave next week, how many widgets are left in the storeroom, how many widgets should we order given we usually sell 100 each weeks and it takes 2 weeks to get stock. Stuff like that. Usually the MIS is performing relatively simple SQL queries behind the scenes. Common stuff needed to manage the day-to-day running of a business.

HTH
Sam
thanks sam you have been a lot of help, i was kinda lucky to run into the author of a text book the night before my exam

Last edited:

SamD

HSC
N/A
oh your sam davis? yeh i have read a couple chapter from your book. Oh and im not sure if your looking for feedback or not but i found it a little to in depth for what the course involves in HSC. Dont get me wrong there is some great info and its up to date wit the new syllubus but i think that many other students would find it hard to understand with the detail that you go into. However i also understand that it is necessary to go into great detail in some cases.
True. I deliberately made it more detailed to differentiate it from the other textbooks. Then the BOS changed the syllabus and none of the other publishers have bothered to update their text, hence mine's now the only one. Mind you some of the other IPT texts (I wont mention names) are at best trivial and at worst inaccurate.

There is no need for all students to do or understand all that's in the book. I taught maths for many years so I'm used to textbooks that include stuff ranging from easy to impossible! And in Maths most students accept that some concepts are beyond their reach...

HTH
Sam

kurtt

HSC
True. I deliberately made it more detailed to differentiate it from the other textbooks. Then the BOS changed the syllabus and none of the other publishers have bothered to update their text, hence mine's now the only one. Mind you some of the other IPT texts (I wont mention names) are at best trivial and at worst inaccurate.

There is no need for all students to do or understand all that's in the book. I taught maths for many years so I'm used to textbooks that include stuff ranging from easy to impossible! And in Maths most students accept that some concepts are beyond their reach...

HTH
Sam
well i like how it goes into a lot more depth. i would have definately got a copy except for i only found out about it a few weeks ago. i began reading the pdf files on the internet but just ran out of time to get through it all. oh well, next years ipt class will benefit from your book

SamD

HSC
N/A
I haven't been on this site for a few years, but given the exam is tomorrow I thought I'd check it out.

Good luck for tomorrow, now go to bed!

kurtt

HSC
yeh soon, but before i do. you got any tips for the exam 2moro?

Reactions: x1

SamD

HSC
N/A
yeh soon, but before i do. you got any tips for the exam 2moro?
For the scenario questions plan to:
- tell the markers what you know (define the terms in the question, explain the theory).
- always relate everything back to the scenario (even if it doesn't seem obviously related)
- provide examples (markers love that)
- if it's worth 3 marks then clearly make three points, 4 marks then make 4 points (if your stuck then fudge this a bit by starting a new paragraph and then saying the same thing but in a different way)

Based on past IPT exams, most students have plenty of time. Use it to your advantage. Leave space after each question part so you can go back and add extra detail later on. Don't let your brain fall for the "I've had enough of this" or "I've written enough" nonsense - every mark will make a difference to your ATAR!

kurtt

HSC
For the scenario questions plan to:
- tell the markers what you know (define the terms in the question, explain the theory).
- always relate everything back to the scenario (even if it doesn't seem obviously related)
- provide examples (markers love that)
- if it's worth 3 marks then clearly make three points, 4 marks then make 4 points (if your stuck then fudge this a bit by starting a new paragraph and then saying the same thing but in a different way)

Based on past IPT exams, most students have plenty of time. Use it to your advantage. Leave space after each question part so you can go back and add extra detail later on. Don't let your brain fall for the "I've had enough of this" or "I've written enough" nonsense - every mark will make a difference to your ATAR!
thanks for all your help! Good luck with your text book. time for sleep :sleep:

Lemonlime

HSC
Not many people do ipt so its hard to get resources and people who know the content ... THERE'S NOT EVEN A PROPER SYLLABUS FOR IT =.= well there is, but it might as well be sitting in the corner of a room.

alekovic

HSC
Not many people do ipt so its hard to get resources and people who know the content ... THERE'S NOT EVEN A PROPER SYLLABUS FOR IT =.= well there is, but it might as well be sitting in the corner of a room.
How do you mean, "THERE'S NOT EVEN A PROPER SYLLABUS FOR IT"

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/ipt-st6-syl-from2010.pdf

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/ipt-specifications.html

If you know everything here, then you will do well.

Also:

What would be the most appropriate system for Q2? (Taken from a trial exam)

Last edited:

scotty_3

HSC
know this thread was from a while ago but...how does plasma display work? :)

astroman

HSC
know this thread was from a while ago but...how does plasma display work? :)
Plasma - These TVs use electricity to excite a mixture of noble gases (Xenon and Neon). These excited gases strike a phosphor and produce the appropriate colour and light. They arguably produce better contrast than LCDs but produce more heat and are only suitable for large displays.

scotty_3

HSC
Plasma - These TVs use electricity to excite a mixture of noble gases (Xenon and Neon). These excited gases strike a phosphor and produce the appropriate colour and light. They arguably produce better contrast than LCDs but produce more heat and are only suitable for large displays.

- Made up of cells containing two glass panels separated by a narrow gap filled with neon-xenon gas (injected and sealed in during manufacturing in the form of plasma).
Plasma: an ionised gas consisting of positive ions and free electrons in proportions
- Normally, the gas has a net charge of 0 (equal number of positive ions and free electrons
- The introduction of free electrons into the gas (through an electric current), will alter the charge balance, turning more atoms into ions that release photons of UV light.
- These UV photons interact with the phosphor material (red, green and blue phosphor dots) that coats the inside of the cell, producing an image

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC

- Made up of cells containing two glass panels separated by a narrow gap filled with neon-xenon gas (injected and sealed in during manufacturing in the form of plasma).
Plasma: an ionised gas consisting of positive ions and free electrons in proportions
- Normally, the gas has a net charge of 0 (equal number of positive ions and free electrons
- The introduction of free electrons into the gas (through an electric current), will alter the charge balance, turning more atoms into ions that release photons of UV light.
- These UV photons interact with the phosphor material (red, green and blue phosphor dots) that coats the inside of the cell, producing an image
I'm not sure about all the details, but sounds right. The thing is you definitely WON'T need that much detail about plasma screens for any HSC test ever. A question about plasma screens might be something more like, describe why an LCD is better than a plasma for displaying (insert x context here). and there, you would describe breifly how plasma is excited electrons in a noble gas that lights up stuff - maybe more detail than what i wrote though :p

scotty_3

HSC
Describe 3 reasons why copyright has become such an issue with the advent of digital technologies and the Internet

Thoughts?? :p

djask

HSC
Describe 3 reasons why copyright has become such an issue with the advent of digital technologies and the Internet

Thoughts?? :p
Copyright is the right to use, copy or control the work of content creators. Digital technologies mean that data can be shared easily, thus degrading the data integrity and accuracy. This is an issue in copyright because it is hard to track changes on the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)