IPT Study Thread (1 Viewer)

Kat92

HSC
"Outline two communication control and addressing level protocols"

I can only think of TCP (Trasmision control protocol, Obvious) and IP (internet protocol) being communication control protocols, ive never refered to them by that name though.
As for addressing level protocols, my mind is blank :p?

Anyone care to help?

Tricky and sneaky hey, as TCP/IP is commonly referred to as one protocol. However is broken down into two components of the Internet Protocol Suite, this is why the syllabus probably has it as separate dot points.

IP handles lower-level transmissions from computer to computer as a message makes its way across the Internet.

Whereas, TCP operates at a higher level, concerned only with the two end systems, for example a Web browser and a Web server.

xxheersaletixx

TERI MAA :)
HSC
you guys remember to post questions after you answer them :)

since there is none heres one:

Explain log on and log off procedures ( like what processes you go through to log on and off)

Last edited:

xFusion

HSC
you guys remember to post questions after you answer them :)

since there is none heres one:

Explain log on and log off procedures ( like what processes you go through to log on and off)
The logon procedure requires one to enter a username and password to gain access to the network. The level of access is defined by the network admin.
The logoff procedure... (I don't know what processes is for this. Someone expand please)
Question:Outline a feasibility study

Last edited:

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
The logon procedure requires one to enter a username and password to gain access to the network. The level of access is defined by the network admin.
The logoff procedure... (I don't know what processes is for this. Someone expand please)
Feasibility studies generally examine each possible solution option in terms of the following four feasibility criteria:
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Technical - how the system will work in terms of hardware and software requirements

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Economic - in terms of cost/benefit analysis

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Schedule - will it meet the deadline?

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Operational - how it fits into the needs and wants of users and participants and how it works in practise

What are the different types of data used to test a system?

jasondf

HSC
What are the different types of data used to test a system?
Volume data: Floods the system with large amounts of data.
Simulated data: Making test data that cover all possible results
Live data: Using real data from the existing system
*Not sure about these answers, can someone give a proper answer

Outline the 6 development approaches, including advantages and disadvantages.

xxheersaletixx

HSC
Volume data: Floods the system with large amounts of data.
Simulated data: Making test data that cover all possible results
Live data: Using real data from the existing system
*Not sure about these answers, can someone give a proper answer

Outline the 6 development approaches, including advantages and disadvantages.
traditional
- adv- step by step
disad- each step has to be completed b4 moving to the next

outsourcing-
adv- cost effective
disad ???

prototyping-
adv accurate simulations
disad- repetitive process can be frustrating

customisation-
adv- cheaper than making new system from scratch
disad-???

participant development-
adv- little need to consult widely coz ppl who will be using the system are making it
disad- users must have sufficient skills to use this approach

agile methods-
adv- remove the need for complex design documentation
disad- usually only used to develop software and not the entire info system

hope i did that right and could some one help out on the ones i didnt know?

Describe 4 project management tools

Kat92

HSC

The logon process is a form of authentication that enables the user to log on to the network. The user normally has a unique username and password that identifies them and their privileges by the network administrator.

The log off process, is especially important if sharing the PC on a network with other users. As it clears and saves the current users session/ tokens before a new user logs on to that PC.

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
traditional

Describe 4 project management tools
Gantt charts- Are an organisational tool that shows a week by week analysis of the proposed time for tasks to be completed and the actual time that it took.

Scheduling of tasks- Through this process, it allows for tasks to be delegated at applicable time frames. For example, there is no point in having planning as the last step within a project.

Journals and diaries- Allow for the person conducting the project to manage their time effectively, draw conclusions about the tasks completed and to display their personal feelings about the process and progression of the project.

Funding management plan- Allows for the project manager to determine if there is enough funding (finances) to succesfully manage the project with ease.

Next Question: Describe the role of an MIS. Give 5 examples of its uses.

kurtt

HSC
Management information systems

Management infromation systems provide management with infromation aobut an organisation or relevant to it in some way. these systems may generate reports showing current stock levels, weekly sales, financial details and other pertinent information.

senior management may be interested in the organisaion's daily shares prices, interes figures or inflation rates. executive information systems cater for this sector of the information systems marke

Kat92

HSC
Seeing as no-one has posted a question. Here's one:

Describe the 4 types of different servers.

PS> Don't forget to post a question up for the next person once you have answered. :wave:

HSC
I thought there were 5 types of servers...oh well here's 5 anyway :D

A server takes the responsibility for certain tasks on a network, there are many different types of servers.

A server that provides file services to workstation and users is referred to as a File Server. It stores files and app software. A type of file server is called a date server which only stores data files.

A Print server is a computer that handles printing tasks. When a user prints a file it, a request is sent to the print server. If a task is already being performed by the printer, the print file will be queued. A print server can manage several different printers.

A web server stores and distributes web pages. ??? Not too sure about this one sorry :(

A mail server is the electronic post office of a network, it receives E-mail and stores it in the recipient's mailbox. To access the post office users must enter their login details (Username and Password).

Proxy servers are used to cache frequently accessed data, this allows users to access data without having to transfer it from it's original location.

Question:

Describe Parallel and Phased conversion methods and explain how they are different. :angry:

xxheersaletixx

HSC
Question:

Describe Parallel and Phased conversion methods and explain how they are different. :angry:
The parallel method of system conversion is when the old and the new system are running side by side for some time. Its good cause any problems that arise can be solved before the old system is totally ditched
The phased conversions method involves gradual implementation of the new system. Some features of the old system are still running together with the new system but eventually everything does cross over to the new system.

Describe the current and emerging trends in communication systems

Last edited:

kurtt

HSC
· Current and emerging trends in communication systems, including:
o Blogs
Blog is short for web log, which is essentially a journal that is made public by placing it on the web. Individuals regularly update their blog to express their personal views and opinions or simply to detail their day-to-day activities. Most blogs are arranged in date order with the most recent entry at the top. It is common for people to include a blog on their personal website. For instance, many people maintain a personal MySpace.com webpage. MySpace.com includes software tools that automate the creation of blogs.

o Wikis
A wiki is a website where users are able to freely add new content and edit existing content. Probably the most well-known and largest wiki is Wikipedia; an online encyclopaedia created and edited by members of the public. Because the information within a wiki is produced by the general public it should never be accepted on face value; rather alternative sources should be used to verify the accuracy of the information.
o RSS feeds
RSS is an acronym for Really Simple Syndication. Syndication is a process that has been used by journalists and other content creators for many years. When content, such as a news story or TV show, is syndicated it is published in many different places. For instance, a TV show such as Neighbours is produced in Australia but is syndicated and shown in many other countries. RSS feeds implement this syndication process over the Internet. The author offers some content they have created as an RSS feed. Other people can then choose to take up the author’s offer of syndication and subscribe to the feed. With RSS feeds the subscription is usually anonymous. The author has no idea of the identity of the people who have subscribed to their RSS feed. Podcasts are distributed as RSS feeds, however any type of online content can be distributed using this technique, including blogs, wikis, news and even updates to web sites. The feed can contain any combination of audio, video, image and text. In addition, feeds need not contain the complete content; rather a partial feed can be used that includes links to the complete content. To subscribe to RSS feeds requires newsreader software. The newsreader stores details of each RSS feed you subscribe to. The newsreader then checks each subscribed feed at regular intervals and downloads any updates it detects to your computer. This means the content is sitting on your computer waiting to be read. There is no need to download anything at this time; in fact the computer can be offline. RSS feeds have become popular largely as a consequence of the excessive quantity of junk mail people receive. Many people are reluctant to enter their email address into web forms out of fear they may receive masses of unwanted email messages. No identifying information, including email addresses, is required to subscribe to an RSS feed.
o Podcasts
Podcasting puts users in control of what they listen to, when they listen to it, how they listen and where they listen. Essentially a podcast is an audio RSS feed that is automatically downloaded to your computer and copied to your MP3 player. Aggregator software, such as Apple’s iTunes, manages and automates the entire process - from the user’s perspective content simply appears on their MP3 player. The term podcast is a play on the words iPod and broadcast, however any MP3 player can be used, not just Apple iPods. A podcast is simply a collection of MP3 files. Podcasters are the people who create the “radio like” audio content, often on a regular basis or as a series of programs. Typically each podcast is a sequence of MP3 files created over time. Commercial media and other organisations are also embracing podcasting as an alternative to more traditional information delivery systems.

o Online radio, TV and video on demand
Online radio and TV programs are streamed over the Internet and displayed in real time using a streaming media player. Many traditional radio and TV stations now provide their programs online. Some stations provide a live digital feed, however it is the ability to watch past programs that distinguishes online delivery from traditional broadcasts - users can watch the programs they want, when they want. Video on demand (VOD) systems are used to distribute video content directly to users over a communication link - much like an online video/DVD store. The aim of all VOD systems is to provide users with high quality video immediately in real time. Unfortunately current (2007) transmissions speeds and compression technologies are insufficient for this aim to be achieved. As a consequence VOD implementations compromise either quality, range of titles or the immediacy of delivery. Streaming systems compromise quality whilst largely achieving the range of titles and real time aims. Cable and satellite pay TV offer a limited range of high quality titles where each title commences at regular intervals - not quite real time. Online VOD stores deliver a large range of high quality movies. However movies must be downloaded prior to viewing - typical downloads take more than an hour.
o 3G technologies for mobile communication
The term 3G refers to third generation mobile communication networks. Essentially 3G networks provide higher data transfer rates than older GSM and CDMA mobile phone networks. As a consequence, access to much richer content is possible. 3G networks support video calls, web browsing and virtually all other Internet applications. Although 3G mobile phones are the primary device used on 3G networks, it is also common to use 3G networks to connect computers to the Internet. Currently high speed 3G coverage is limited to major cities and surrounding areas.

any help with

• advances in technology which are influencing multimedia development
o increased storage capacity allowing multimedia products to be stored at high resolutions
o improved bandwidth allowing transmission of higher quality multimedia
o improved resolution of capturing devices
o increases in processing power of CPUs
o improved resolution of displays
o new codecs for handling compression media while improving quality

Last edited:
HSC
Kurtt, did you typed that up from the top of your head cos if so, you sure look like you are going to smash this exam:hammer::hammer:

kurtt

HSC
Kurtt, did you typed that up from the top of your head cos if so, you sure look like you are going to smash this exam:hammer::hammer:
I wish it was off the top of my head. But nah i just finished typing up some notes on that section today so since that question was there i just copied and pasted what i had written. i got most of it from Sam Davis' book. there are 2 sections of his book on the internet which have stuff on the new syllubus. he put them on there before he published his book and said people are free to use them for their study. there is a lot of useless stuff in there but once you filter through all that crap there is some good in them

DC987123

HSC
Couple of questions guys,
how do you calculate the file size of a database? (2006 HSC question 21 b)
and i can never remember about compression, any help?

deviousgeek

The Game.
HSC
Okie dokie.

File size of a database with 200 records, with fields of these sizes: 10, 6, 4, 20, 80.

Calculate file size (in kilobytes):

(10+6+4+20+80)x200
----------------------------

Audio and Image compression:

Lossy (eg JPEG):
Lossy means that data is perminantely lost during the compression process. This compression is performed by removing colour changes that the human eyes are less prone to noticing.

Lossless (eg CompuServe GIF):
Lossless means that no data is completely lost. (ie, can be reverted back to its original size/form). It does this by replacing repeated patterns in the file with symbols, thus reducing the overall size of the file.

Audio:

MP3 files are lossy. The compression process involves removing frequencies in the audio that humans are incapable of hearing.

HSC
Hmm for the size of a database I think it will only ask a table so I think it's:

Records * Field Size Total

In bytes

Not sure of this though

Nivek5

HSC
Easy way to remember compression is that
lossy compresses and doesnt restore to its original state. think of a jpeg .. you zoom in and its pixelated...

lossless is compressed but restores to original, i think of this like a zip or rar file.

I have a question too.

Can someone define the difference between data mining, warehousing and matching

Last edited:

ChrisChrisau

HSC
Easy way to remember compression is that
lossy compresses and doesnt restore to its original state. think of a jpeg .. you zoom in and its pixelated...

lossless is compressed but restores to original, i think of this like a zip or rar file.

I have a question too.

Can someone define the difference between data mining, warehousing and matching
Data warehousing involves a companies digital storage of data, whereas data mining is searching the data for trends that aren't always particularly obious.

A couple questions here as well,

Does anybody know what is meant by OLAP and OLTP - I don't recall learning them in class :karate:

Also, what are "screen generators" and "report generators" in the context of requirements prototypes in Project Management?

Lastly, does anybody know if calculating video/ audio file sizes is still in the syllabus - I can't see it, but there's a good chance I've missed it!

Cheers,
Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)