IPT Study Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
I don't think file size calulations are required anymore

Nivek5

HSC
I learnt them, but im unsure if its required... they might ask how you would do it .. but wont make you do it.. as we cant use a calculator

OLAP and OLTP are part of an option topic.. decision support i think... i didnt do the one it involves so yer.

And i can roughly say that a screen generator or a report generator in a prototype will be relevant to creating a Gui or prototype screen and report, to show its intended functionality.. unsure though

HSC
no OLAP and OLTP are part of information systems and databases as well as various option topics

Nuclear

HSC
Sorry, but could someoneplease help me with ways to reduce data redundancy?

kurtt

HSC
any help with agile methods and iterative development?

kurtt

HSC
This is from the independent trial answer for the question reffereing to OLAP and drilling down

An OLAP system allows corporate data to be stored in a multidimensional data base, with each
attribute stored as a separate dimension. This allows the data to be selectively extracted and viewed
from different perspectives. Such systems (and their specially designed software) allow decision
makers to analyse large data stores visually, online and in a very short time frame.
The drill down process allows a user to select one attribute and then explore the characteristics of a
second attribute related to the one just selected. This allows the user to progressively focus in on more
and more detailed information.
So for example, a graph could be requested showing details of all swimwear sold in the month of July,
followed by a second graph showing sales.of those same products in the month of September, followed
perhaps by a comparison of sales of all related products in Bondi for that month.
The process of 'slicing and dicing' allows the filter criteria to be changed with each selection of data to​
be displayed, allowing unrestricted exploration of the data and the patterns within it.

kurtt

HSC
anyone know anything on pattern matching in neural networks?

HSC
Yea, but what I mean is, what methods are there to normalize it?
Create a relational database utilising more than one table and a schema (ERD) that represents the relationships between attributes.

eg. For a video store database you need to have a table that just stores video data, customer data and each loan.

The loan table would have two foreign keys in it, the video ID and the owner ID.

If there was only one table with all the data, data redundancy would occur (the unnecessary duplication of data) when a customer hires out another movie as their details we need to be entered in again.

Last edited:

SamD

HSC
N/A
anyone know anything on pattern matching in neural networks?
The job of neural networks is largely about detecting patterns within the input data. Sets of inputs are processed through the NN to generate outputs based on the patterns determined during learning.

HTH
Sam

SamD

HSC
N/A
Sorry, but could someoneplease help me with ways to reduce data redundancy?
Normalisation is one way (as mentioned above), but in the exam try and come up with some others - with examples too - HSC markers love examples.

What about....
Data Integrity Checks - eg. each time a new customer is entered, the user first searches for a customer with the same address or same phone number to ensure multiple records are not created.
Online Databases - eg. so that users at all branches can see all records at all other branches. Reduces the chance of the same customer being entered into the system more than once.

HTH
Sam

kurtt

HSC
The job of neural networks is largely about detecting patterns within the input data. Sets of inputs are processed through the NN to generate outputs based on the patterns determined during learning.

HTH
Sam

thanks sam. do you know anything about OLTP?

SamD

HSC
N/A
any help with agile methods and iterative development?
Agile is a type of iterative development - there are many others...

Characteristics of agile development include:
-small teams, often including a customer/user representative.
-mutli-skilled team members
-strong communication (and often social) links between all involved
-just in time design - only design what you are about to implement.
-get the system out to the customer to use as it is being built
- this may mean a new version is released every few weeks so the customer can use it and then provide feedback

HTH
Sam

kurtt

HSC
Agile is a type of iterative development - there are many others...

Characteristics of agile development include:
-small teams, often including a customer/user representative.
-mutli-skilled team members
-strong communication (and often social) links between all involved
-just in time design - only design what you are about to implement.
-get the system out to the customer to use as it is being built
- this may mean a new version is released every few weeks so the customer can use it and then provide feedback

HTH
Sam
thanks again, the thing that was confusing me was that i didnt know that agile was a type of iterative development. thanks for clearing that up

SamD

HSC
N/A
thanks sam. do you know anything about OLTP?
Online Transaction Processing just means that transactions are performed online
Some examples:
- Your Mum transfers $20 into your account over the internet. Its a transaction as the money must be debited from her account AND it must be deposited into your account. If one of these fails then both must fail. And its online as its over the Internet.
- eBay, Paypal, etc... are also good to use as examples...

HTH
Sam

kurtt

HSC
Online Transaction Processing just means that transactions are performed online
Some examples:
- Your Mum transfers $20 into your account over the internet. Its a transaction as the money must be debited from her account AND it must be deposited into your account. If one of these fails then both must fail. And its online as its over the Internet.
- eBay, Paypal, etc... are also good to use as examples...

HTH
Sam
hey sam would you be able to help me with some communication protocols

communication protocols, including: application level protocols​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]http [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]smtp [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]SSL communication control and addressing level protocols [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]TCP [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]IP transmission level protocols [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]Ethernet [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][FONT=Times New Roman,Times]-[/FONT][/FONT]Token ring strategies for error detection

kurtt

HSC
oh and one more thing with and i should be right. can you explain management information systems (MIS)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)