• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Iranian woman faces stoning for adultery (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
hang on a sec, why are there jews on this board that condemn stoning for adultery? because i know for a fact that God told moses to tell his people, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife", and to stone such people who did not comply.
stupid jews always forget what their own prophets have told them!

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The punishment does fit the crime. Maybe you don't think so but what you think is irrelevant. You can't apply your values to a legal system on the other side of the world. They are allowed to decide their punishments based on their own values and culture. They have decided that adultery is worth being stoned to death and you have no right to question that just because you don't believe in it.

Rubbish. You can justify any kind of tyranny that way. That argument is almost identical the argument that pro-slavery people used to make in the nineteenth century.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
She's probably a terrorist anyway so who cares.
I agree with wuddie. Get your face out of your arse and open your eyes.
Stoning by death is a cruel and inhumane way of killing someone, and plus; adultery may end her up in prison, but certainly shouldn't lead to the consequence of capital punishment.

AND I hate people like you, people who stereotype and generalise that all people of islamic/middle eastern descent are terrorists. you know, only a very small proportion of them are terrorists/trouble makers. Just because it's like half a percent of them that cause crimes, doesn't mean they're all worth nothing.

So shut up.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
banco55 said:
Rubbish. You can justify any kind of tyranny that way. That argument is almost identical the argument that pro-slavery people used to make in the nineteenth century.
You can't say what they are doing is wrong just because you don't agree with it. Obviously different cultures are going to evolve different values. Clearly the death penalty for adultery would not work within our society, but that doesn't mean it is completely out of place in another. You are completely ignoring the context.

In the 19th century slavery was acceptable. You can't apply the values you have today to that and say it is wrong.

minnn2 said:
Stoning by death is a cruel and inhumane way of killing someone, and plus; adultery may end her up in prison, but certainly shouldn't lead to the consequence of capital punishment.

AND I hate people like you, people who stereotype and generalise that all people of islamic/middle eastern descent are terrorists. you know, only a very small proportion of them are terrorists/trouble makers. Just because it's like half a percent of them that cause crimes, doesn't mean they're all worth nothing.
I think it is a fine way of killing people. Though I personally don't think it should happen for adultery I certainly wouldn't have a problem with stoning to death serial killers.

In your opinion adultery shouldn't lead to capital punishment but you have no right to force your beliefs on others.

I was kind of joking about her being a terrorist. Although now that you mention it......
I know that all muslims aren't terrorists, but all terrorists are muslim, so we can't possibly end up worse off in terms of the terrorist threat by stoning to death a muslim. We may not end up better off like I suggested but it can't hurt.

banco55

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
You can't say what they are doing is wrong just because you don't agree with it. Obviously different cultures are going to evolve different values. Clearly the death penalty for adultery would not work within our society, but that doesn't mean it is completely out of place in another. You are completely ignoring the context.

In the 19th century slavery was acceptable. You can't apply the values you have today to that and say it is wrong.

I think it is a fine way of killing people. Though I personally don't think it should happen for adultery I certainly wouldn't have a problem with stoning to death serial killers.

In your opinion adultery shouldn't lead to capital punishment but you have no right to force your beliefs on others.

I was kind of joking about her being a terrorist. Although now that you mention it......
I know that all muslims aren't terrorists, but all terrorists are muslim, so we can't possibly end up worse off in terms of the terrorist threat by stoning to death a muslim. We may not end up better off like I suggested but it can't hurt.
You can't speak of "rights" at all if you accept your relativistic argument. Your argument leads to a blackhole where there are no values and no morality.

banco55

HSC
onebytwo said:
hang on a sec, why are there jews on this board that condemn stoning for adultery? because i know for a fact that God told moses to tell his people, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife", and to stone such people who did not comply.
Remind me again when was the last time that the Jews behaved like savages and stoned a woman to death?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
This isn't about religion, it's about state savagery. Onebytwo seems to think that Jews stone people to death for adultery as it was written to do so in the Holy Bible. When was the last time a person was stoned to death in the Jewish State, the State of Israel, or when was the last time a Jewish member of the Diaspora took the law into their own hands and stoned a person to death for adultery?

The Torah is at the heart of the Jewish soul, but most Jews recognise that much of it cannot be taken in literal context. Simply that it is a grave sin against G-d and person.

Anti-Semitism wins you no points in an argument. :)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
however different our (iran's and australia's) values may be, if their religion tells them that adultery is worse than murder or violence, then their religion needs some serious fixing and their god (forgive me for saying this if i am wrong) is not worth worshipping.

and how do you know they uphold and support their justice system? where's your prove? as far as i know, iran is in a dictactorship-like government where one person alone can declare war and do whatever he likes, without consulting his government. so what chance does that leave the public to voice their opinions? clearly you are wrong.

the point again, is not trying to debate whether this iranian woman deserves the death penalty, let alone being stoned to death; rather, it is to remind ourselves how fortunate we are, here in a peaceful and free country.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
wuddie said:
however different our (iran's and australia's) values may be, if their religion tells them that adultery is worse than murder or violence, then their religion needs some serious fixing and their god (forgive me for saying this if i am wrong) is not worth worshipping.

and how do you know they uphold and support their justice system? where's your prove? as far as i know, iran is in a dictactorship-like government where one person alone can declare war and do whatever he likes, without consulting his government. so what chance does that leave the public to voice their opinions? clearly you are wrong.

the point again, is not trying to debate whether this iranian woman deserves the death penalty, let alone being stoned to death; rather, it is to remind ourselves how fortunate we are, here in a peaceful and free country.
That is your opinion and I could say exactly the same thing about western values and religions. You may think they are too harsh but we are not harsh enough. The fact that we don't even execute mass murderers is disgraceful. I'd much rather have an overly harsh punishment (that people can avoid by not breaking the law in the first place) than a punishment that is not nearly harsh enough. I do think that there a problems with Islam as a religion but as long as it is practiced within a society where everyone believes and follows it (to the same degree) I don't see what the problem is. Since when did western values become the only correct ones?

I don't think you can really be all that annoyed at people for considering marriage to be so sacred that adultery is punishable by death. That is a good thing. Do you have any idea of the problems cause by this 'marriage means nothing' attitude everyone in the western world seems to have these days?

Almost the entire population are muslim. They support Islamic Law and it is Islamic Law that says adultery is punishable by stoning to death. It doesn't matter what other political problems there are.

Would this country be better or worse if people who got married actually stayed married and didn't cheat on their partners?

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
That is your opinion and I could say exactly the same thing about western values and religions. You may think they are too harsh but we are not harsh enough. The fact that we don't even execute mass murderers is disgraceful. I'd much rather have an overly harsh punishment (that people can avoid by not breaking the law in the first place) than a punishment that is not nearly harsh enough. I do think that there a problems with Islam as a religion but as long as it is practiced within a society where everyone believes and follows it (to the same degree) I don't see what the problem is. Since when did western values become the only correct ones?

I don't think you can really be all that annoyed at people for considering marriage to be so sacred that adultery is punishable by death. That is a good thing. Do you have any idea of the problems cause by this 'marriage means nothing' attitude everyone in the western world seems to have these days?

Almost the entire population are muslim. They support Islamic Law and it is Islamic Law that says adultery is punishable by stoning to death. It doesn't matter what other political problems there are.

Would this country be better or worse if people who got married actually stayed married and didn't cheat on their partners?
How can it be disgraceful if life imprisonment without parole is considered harsher punishment than execution by the inmate themselves? Furthermore, a vast number of iranians are muslim in name and on statistic book, they do not necessarily want islamic law, however, they don't have a choice or to voice their opposition in a country where a mere criticism of Islamic law itself is a death sentence.

People are better off where they have freedom to have consensual sex between willing adults, as you would notice, millions of iranians are fleeing their country to escape islamic opression, not a single australian seek asylum or refugee in another country

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
wuddie said:

Your argument hinges on the belief that your (our) values are somewhat superior to their values. Hence we should correct what we see as flaws in their values, as we don't agree with it.

However wrong you may believe those values to be, however wrong I may believe those values to be, you cannot force your own values onto another. Western values differ from Islamic values and we may disagree and find flaws with Islamic values (e.g stoning to death for adultery) but likewise they too find what they belive to be flaws with certain principles in our own values (e.g women in bikinis,etc).

You disagree with those values, but you cannot force your own values onto another. This applies to both us and them.

jimmayyy

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The law in that country says if you commit adultery you get stoned to death. If you don't want to be stoned to death DON'T BREAK THE FUCKING LAW.

I wouldn't randomly kill a bunch of people and then complain that being locked up for the rest of my life was unfair.

The laws here are irrelevant. Our values and TV shows are irrelevant.
while i agree with you in part that she committed the crime knowing full well the punishment, cant you look past that and see this for what it is - another example of the way extremist muslims twist their religion to justify their brutal and horrific actions?

oh and PS, your middle paragraph is void because, as you well point out, "our" things are irrelevant. what YOU would do is irrelevant. countries like australia wouldn't stone you to death for having an affair, or even murdering a bunch of people like you proposed.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
PrinceHarry said:
How can it be disgraceful if life imprisonment without parole is considered harsher punishment than execution by the inmate themselves? Furthermore, a vast number of iranians are muslim in name and on statistic book, they do not necessarily want islamic law, however, they don't have a choice or to voice their opposition in a country where a mere criticism of Islamic law itself is a death sentence.

People are better off where they have freedom to have consensual sex between willing adults, as you would notice, millions of iranians are fleeing their country to escape islamic opression, not a single australian seek asylum or refugee in another country
I don't consider life in prison without parole a harsher punishment. You can murder someone in this country and not spend the rest of your live in prison. That is ridiculous.

Enough want muslim law. It's not like a handful of people are forcing muslim law on millions of others. In ever country there are some people that don't exactly agree with the system. That will always be the case. There are other issues relation to people fleeing the country it's not as simple as people not liking Islamic law.

There is freedom to have consentual sex between willing adults, just as long as adultery is not involved. We have massive problems with divorce in this country and I can guarantee if adultery was punished by being stoned to death people would think twice about making a commitment they aren't going to keep.

jimmayyy said:
while i agree with you in part that she committed the crime knowing full well the punishment, cant you look past that and see this for what it is - another example of the way extremist muslims twist their religion to justify their brutal and horrific actions?

oh and PS, your middle paragraph is void because, as you well point out, "our" things are irrelevant. what YOU would do is irrelevant. countries like australia wouldn't stone you to death for having an affair, or even murdering a bunch of people like you proposed.
I don't like muslim extremism either but they aren't bothering me so I have no right to complain or force my beliefs on them.

But they would punish me for breaking the law which is exactly what they are doing in Iran. If you don't break the law you won't get punished. On that point the actual punishment itself is irrelevant. You either break the law and get punished or you don't break the law and don't get punished.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
You can't speak of "rights" at all if you accept your relativistic argument. Your argument leads to a blackhole where there are no values and no morality.
Your argument is basically, "my values are superior and theirs are crap because they are not mine."

wuddie said:

See above.

queenrayan

HSC
N/A
onebytwo said:
thats exactly whats happening....the Jews try and steer people's attention to other issues while they are killing and commiting mass murders in PALESTINE. why are the jews on this forum so racist? its australia...a multi-racial , tolerant counrty. if you dont like this, GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY you trouble making jews (and that's not israel because you took it from palestine):mad1: !

queenrayan

HSC
N/A
minnn2 said:
I agree with wuddie. Get your face out of your arse and open your eyes.

So shut up.
this is so right...everybody should learn a few values from this educated and tolerant person. thankyou

banco55

HSC
Snaykew said:
Your argument is basically, "my values are superior and theirs are crap because they are not mine."

See above.
My argument is that a woman shouldn't be buried up to her her kneck in dirt and then stoned to death for adultery. How self-righteous, bigoted and close minded of me. Next I'll be claiming that fathers shouldn't be allowed to kill their daughters because they have a boyfriend the father doesn't approve of.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
My argument is that a woman shouldn't be buried up to her her kneck in dirt and then stoned to death for adultery. How self-righteous, bigoted and close minded of me. Next I'll be claiming that fathers shouldn't be allowed to kill their daughters because they have a boyfriend the father doesn't approve of.
Yeah! Next you'll be calling for armed intervention to enforce our values onto their society.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't consider life in prison without parole a harsher punishment. You can murder someone in this country and not spend the rest of your live in prison. That is ridiculous.
You don't and its all about what you think is nt it? How about what the prisoners think of the punishment? Hundreds of prisoners serving life sentences in Italy have called on President Giorgio Napolitano to bring back the death penalty.

The letter they sent to President Napolitano came from a convicted mobster, Carmelo Musumeci, a 52-year-old who has been in prison for 17 years.
It was co-signed by 310 of his fellow lifers.
Musumeci said he was tired of dying a little bit every day. We want to die just once, he said, and "we are asking for our life sentence to be changed to a death sentence". http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6707865.stm

Enough want muslim law. It's not like a handful of people are forcing muslim law on millions of others. In ever country there are some people that don't exactly agree with the system. That will always be the case. There are other issues relation to people fleeing the country it's not as simple as people not liking Islamic law.
Actually, it is. It was the Cleric ruler Ayatollah and his co-horts that imposed Islamic Law, any attempted reform to limit their powers are vetoed by Ayatollah himself or his Guardian Council half of them from Islamic cleric. What other issues are there making Iranians flee their countries other than them fleeing the Islamic regime itself.

There is freedom to have consentual sex between willing adults, just as long as adultery is not involved. We have massive problems with divorce in this country and I can guarantee if adultery was punished by being stoned to death people would think twice about making a commitment they aren't going to keep.
No there is no freedom to have consentual sex between adults in Iran unless they are married. All sex outside marriage is a crime punishable by death sentence. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4295111.stm

Does iranian women think twice before making their commitment, apparently not. Your assumption that if there is a harsh law people will obey is simply not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)