irp p platers involved in car accidents (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellehartmann

HSC
hey im doin an IRP for community and family studies and i am doing it on car accidents involving young drivers. If anyone has any good comments i can add to my assessment, it wood be greatly appreciated. or even if someone has any ideas?? thanks

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
erm. lets see.

there has been a major generalisation to P plate drivers recently with the increase in P plate crashes. However, might i just add, that the media is distorting the image that society perceives on P plate drivers. there ARE the dangerous, speed demons who disobey the laws of the road. However, conversely; there are the responsible drivers who don't disobey the laws of the road and only go over the speed limit by a few km/h.

What im tryiint to say, is the media takes a subject and then places too much emphasis on it to give it a bad image. You see the news talking about the p plate crashses (and the close ups of the P plates) .. but what about the responsible p plate drivers?
Do the rest of P platers / L platers have to feel the effects due to the irresponsible drivers? why doesn't the media focus on the irresponsible full license drivers ?

those are some questions that you could answer in your IRP

gabby-ella89

HSC
This is incredibly topical at the moment, I am a red P-plate driver myself and coming from a community recently shook by the deaths of four of our friends and sons, seeing first hand at the funerals and in the school community the raw emotion associated with the loss of such amazing, talented youth I think any change that saves and protects the younger and less experienced on our roads is a welcome change, feeling deeply for the families and understanding their cry for change.
On the other hand I think the media has a lot to answer for when it comes to the role that they play in this debate. Playing on the grief of these families for ratings and the concern of other countless parents across the country with such lines from a recent a currant affairs program on this very topic as “Don’t let your children get behind the wheel before you watch this” are they really concerned with safety of P-plate drivers on our roads or just cashing in on this topical subject due to recent events?

I would love to hear from you on how you go with this topic.

Last edited:

jexca

HSC
I'm actually doing a really similar topic for my IRP, my question is something like "Analyse the impact of passenger behaviour on provisional drivers' ability to control a car".

The Monash University has done a study on accidents and stuff, can't exactly remember what it was, but if you go to google and type in "Monash University Car Accients" or something along those lines, i'm sure you'll find it. Also, in google, i was typing in "Passenger restrictions P platers news" and just random stuff like that, that was how I got all of my information for my literature review. Just fiddle around with what you type in and i'm sure you'll get what you need! :)
Good luck, mine is due next week and i've got so much more to do! lol
wish me luck :)

Season

HSC
P platers are stupid they think they can live forever and only when someone actually dies do they realise that we're not built to live together

I am only 17 years old but I have been closely involved in 4 car crashes, all due to stupid people not following the road rules. Not only the P platers but other people too, stupidity doesn't know age.

The fact of the matter is that when you first start driving you are a crap driver, and you can only get better through driving. I have had my Ps for about 2 months now and while I'm the most cautious person (I've been in major car crash before) I am definitely not a good driver and always tread carefully.

I don't think passenger restrictions will help actually, I do the majority of the chores for my family and will often have 4 people in the car, I am careful and they all trust me but with those restrictions I would deprive the family of a driver.

The death of young people tears a family apart, my best friend and cousin died when I was 15, 2 years on and that branch of the family is still struggling to cope, when they heard about the car crash I was in it just tore everyone apart all over again and reminded everyone of the horror that we were going through.

I was actually at a party and had to hide some guy's keys because he was determined to go home, he was really drunk and wouldn't listen to me when I told him that if he went home there was a good chance that he could be in an accident. In the end I just took his keys but it pissed me off that I had to actually take his keys and hide them because he wanted to home, the fucking idiot.

If you drink and drive you're fucking idiot

people die every day, and when someone's dead they don't come back

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
several basic facts lead to a "higher" proportion of p plate drivers crashs

the media jumps up and down over the fact there are more p plate deaths than even 5 yrs ago. this is because people are now on their Ps for longer, so more people are in this group. simple maths :)

another thing they never point out is how many p plate crashes are from drivers NOT in the 17-25 yr age group. about a third of the red p platers in my area seem to be over the age of 40, and i know of three crashes in the last month (out of about 7 crashes all up in my area) directly caused by these people. (know of one in that same period caused by a 17yo p plater, though all witnesses reckon the other car involved was actually speeding)

lastly, the media states p plate crashes, but doesnt take into acocunt when it wasnt a p platers fault. ie, my sister was in a crash a few years ago, a p plater was driving, but, it was the other cars fault, and police saidif it wasnt for the p platers driving, it wouldve been worse. it was reoprted as another p plater crash though :(

you found out a lot if u listen to talk back radio too :p

Dreago

HSC
hey
there was a car crash that happend bout 2 maybe 3 weeks ago...alll young people joy ridin in a ute...this happened at warialda nsw...do a search in a local paper on the net or search in the local paper ov inverell that should help i hope

m Renira

HSC
being a p plater i know that its not always us at fault, when im doing 60 in a 60 zone, and three cars overtake me im not the one speeding. p platers are less experienced and that may be one reason why they have higher death rates on our roads, but having idiots who go faster then us when we are doing the speed limit is not legal, its not right, yet we are the ones who get blamed.
blaming us is a cop out. before you criticise someone elses speed look at your own speedo first.

craz

HSC
It's true that most p platers are involved in car crashes but contrary to what people think not all P platers are idiotic drivers.

I have to agree even when you are on your P's (i've had mine for 4 months) you're still learning, I mean it takes me a few attempts to park because I want to get it right.

People trust me to drive and I definitely don't speed, more often than not I'm like m Renira car's are always trying to overtake me!

They are getting tough on P platers, but they have to remember that we are still learning albeit some will be better drivers than others and that some of us are good drivers not involved in car accidents!

Emmy-Lou**1989

HSC
As a p-plater i have been following all the media around the new restrictions and have a few issues with them. As a resident of a small country town, 2 of my friends and i often travel to a neraby town (about an hour away) to see comedians and things like that because there isn't a lot for people under 18 to do in our town. I always drive because until recently neither of them had their P's. Once the new restrictions come in limiting the number of passengers i can have to 1 (from 11pm - 5am) my frinds and i will no longer be able to do this as we often don't get home until after 11pm. We can't take 2 cars because neither of my friends have their own car and we don't want to make someone drive alone. I actually think that i am a better driver when i have passengers because i realise that i am responsible for getting them places safely and if something happens to them it is my fault. I also like having more than one passenger because they can talk to each other while i concentrate on driving. I realise that the number of P platers involved in accidents is a problem that needs to be addressed but for people who live in the country like me and my friends driving is our only transport.

I am not sure if this will be helpful to you :)

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
P platers have a ridiculously bad reputation.
For example, I was the driver in a serious car accident in 2005 which was not my fault (someone ran a stop sign, while they were doing 60 in a 50 zone), but I get the "Oh, you're a P plater and you were in an accident, it must have been your fault" thing all the time.
I'd had my licence for 3 days, and people still say that "Oh, if you'd been more experienced you would have been able to avoid it".
The police at the scene said that noone would have been able to avoid being hit, and if I'd been hit by anything bigger than the hyundai excell that hit me, I'd probably be dead...

ebonyfurner

HSC
hey - i did my pip (SAC) and IRP (CAFS) on p platers - the introduction of youth driving restrictions in 2005. If you want that to read over i'll email it to you.
i did pretty good for the cafs one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)