IRP Survey on iPod Use (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pobblegonk

HSC
1. Age:

2. Gender:

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others?

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others?
If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation??

5. How often do your friends/family use their PMP whilst talking to each other?
Always - often - somtimes - rarely - never

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you?

7. "It is okay to listen to a PMP whilst in conversation with another person"
How much do you agree with this statement?

8. Any final thoughts on the issue??

Thanks heaps for your time people!

helen1507

HSC
1. Age: 15

2. Gender: F

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Yes

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others?
If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation??
Sometimes, because the music can affect my mood greatly, thus sometimes I am not able to effectively communicare with other. I'd say 80% of my concentration would be on the actual conversation.

Always - often - somtimes - rarely - never Often

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can communicate effectively with you? Yes, most of the time

How much do you agree with this statement? It depends. If a person really needs someone to listen to them, then they shouldn't be listening to a PMP.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

2. Gender: Male

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Sometimes - not usually

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? When the volume's not up too high...
If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation?? 70%

Never

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? Rarely :p

Disagree, except when 'conversation' means 'have you done what I asked yet?' or something similarly short.

Generally impolite. It's not that much effort to at least press Pause when talking to someone.

danz90

HSC
1. Age: 17

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Not usually

If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation?? Yes - 80%

Sometimes

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? No

How much do you agree with this statement? I agree to a small extent.

sbeydoun91

In za box, which is
HSC
N/A
1. Age: 16

2. Gender: Female

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? No

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? No

If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation?? /

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? Probably, however their concentration would be spilt between listening to the music and talking to you.

How much do you agree with this statement? I tend to disagree, because I believe you cannot fully focus on, or maintain a conversation, if you have earphones plugged into your ears. It's less of an ethical thing for me, as I don't think it shows disrespect per say, however the conversation overall loses its value.

8. Any final thoughts on the issue?? MP3 players and such are useful, but it doesn't take much effort to pause the song you're listening to, to have a conversation.

Good luck with your IRP! :)

terminator69

HSC

2. Gender: male

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? No

Yes

50%
somtimes
6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you?
no
No, rude and shows disrespect.
Still not sure what a PMP is.

michael1990

HSC

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? No, as it is rude.

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? No, as you wont be concentrating on the conversation at hand, rather the music.

Sometimes

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? No, they would more be concentrating on the music.

I totally disagree with that statement, its not okay, it is rude and people should have common matters in regard to this.

nothing i haven't mentioned above.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? No. That's basically telling the other person to STFU.

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? Yes, but it depends if I really like what I'm listening to
70-80%

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? Yes, but it depends on the person and circumstance

How much do you agree with this statement? Not really, because there may be misinterpretation due to inattentiveness.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
1. Age: 14

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Yeah.

Yes. But it depends on the conversation. 80%?

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? Depends on the person. Some people dont kepp up with the conversation while others do it really effectively.

I half agree. If its just a casual conversation then yeah why not but do during an important conversation or a formal one etc.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

2. Gender:M

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Yes

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? Yes

If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation?? 70%

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? Not really

How much do you agree with this statement? Fairly true, As long as 1 headphone is not in use

Kujah

HSC
N/A

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Occasionally

Not really- most of the time I can't even hear what the person I'm having a conversation with is talking about.

No.

I don't really agree with it. It's pretty hard to actually listen to a conversation (in my case) and its pretty rude and impolite.

jcurry

HSC

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? No i pause or else i get confused

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? No i tend to mix the singers voice and my friends and get confused.

Always - often - somtimes - rarely - never sometimes

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? They can, i can't

How much do you agree with this statement? I don't agree with this sentence because your not paying full attention to the other person in the conversation. I agree though if you are both listening to the same pmp though.

8. Any final thoughts on the issue?? PAUSE

Chath

HSC

If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation?? 80%

Always - often - somtimes - rarely - never sometimes

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? yes

How much do you agree with this statement? yes as long as you pay attention to the person

8. Any final thoughts on the issue?? no

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

2. Gender: Female

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Sometimes i have one earphone in and one out but i listen to the person more

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? Yes
If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation?? I am focusing most of my attention on the conversation and almost none on the music

somtimes

I agree as long as you are actually listening to the other person, however if the person asks you to take it out then you should

No

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Sometimes, but not usually. If I do - I'm focussing my attention on the person more than the music.

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? Yes.

If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation?? Most of my attention.

Always - often - somtimes - rarely - never Sometimes

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? Yes

How much do you agree with this statement? Yes, as long as you pay most of your attention to the person - it's a sign of common courtesy.

8. Any final thoughts on the issue?? No

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

2. Gender: M

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? Yes but really rarely

4. Do you feel that whilst using your PMP you can effectively communicate with others? No

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? no

I think it is okay. I wouldn't be enthusiastic about agreeing to that statement but I won't mind.

You are welcome

Last edited:

cravingforpizza

HSC
1. Age: 13

2. Gender:Female

If yes, what percentage of your concentration are you focusing on the actual coversation?? No, i dont think i can concentrate on both things at a time.

Probably not.
I actually dont agree with it at all. I think concentrating on two things at a time is just not possible, for even an einstein sort of person! It is a selection either talk to a person and give them all your attention or listen to music. Believe me doing just one thing at a time is not that hard.

Just that it really annoys me when people are listening to music whilst talking to me.

eliseliselise

HSC

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? No, I find it highly disconcerting when others do though!

6. Do you feel that whilst having a conversation with friends/family with a PMP in use, THEY can can communicate effectively with you? no

I think it's a little bit rude, as there is by no chance they will be able to pay full attention to someone talking to them when they're listening to the spice girls on their iPod or whatever. They won't be taking in what you're saying and responses won't vary very much at all, but if they are sharing their PMP [one headphone each].. then that's fine.

I believe it is the root cause of hearing loss, and we are slowly ascending into the space age where communication with one another ceases to exist.

Anytime.

selablad

HSC

2. Gender: female

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others?
I don't own one, and I wouldn't if I did.

N/A

It depends on what we're talking about - if it's just casual chatter to pass the time, it's good enough, but not if it's any more serious.

See 6, but in general, I disagree. If it's just one ear, quiet background music for them, then I don't mind, but it does make you feel like there is a part of their attention from which you are excluded, especially when they stop you and say "ooh shh I love this song" and stuff.

No

That's alright :)

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
1. Age:17

2. Gender:m

3. Do you use a Personal Music Player (PMP) whilst in conversation with others? no

no

Yea

i reakon if the headphone facing u is out its ok
dont buy ipods... they r programed to die 2 days after the warrenty expires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)