Is 11 units better than 13? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Apparently statistics say that people with 12 units plus get a higher atar, but I am highly thinking of dropping to 11 units because I am getting terrible marks in Ancient history, but I am nervous if I flunk out in another subject it will decrease my atar, I do chem, bio, physics, ancient, 3U maths and Adv.english

jenslekman

HSC
Apparently statistics say that people with 12 units plus get a higher atar, but I am highly thinking of dropping to 11 units because I am getting terrible marks in Ancient history, but I am nervous if I flunk out in another subject it will decrease my atar, I do chem, bio, physics, ancient, 3U maths and Adv.english
what statistics are you looking at? and just do the subjects you enjoy and believe in yourself and you should be fine even if you drop to 11 units.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So your logic is:

- stats show people with 12 or more units get higher atars

Therefore, if I take 12 or more units - I have a higher chance of a higher ATAR.

That's the same logic as: Stats show people with black hair are more likely to be Asian.

Therefore, if I dye my hair black - I am more likely to be Asian.

Just because the two are seemingly correlated (higher ATAR =?= more units, black hair =?= Asian), does NOT mean one causes the other.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ancient won't help you if you're flunking it. Waste of time.

The only reason people with higher ATARs tend to do more units;
1) Non academic students try to do the bare minimum i.e 10 units
2) Many of the smartest kids in the state have accelerated but then don't have that entire workload in Yr 12
3) Many people like security
4) Many peoples schools scare them in to having backup units or practically force them to

10-14 units, I know people who have gotten incredibly high ATARs. In fact, many of the 99+ers I know did 10 or 11.

2xL

HSC
11 is definitely better than 13.

HSC
Okay thanks guys!
I will probably most definitely drop Ancient, does anyone know if it is ranked low?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)