Is 14 units too much? 0-0 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Yeah so I'm kind of doing 14 units this year, starting year 11. And it's just starting to hit me that 14 units may be too much. It was originally going to be 13 units but my school is religious so they're making everyone do Studies of Religion 1. We're only allowed to drop it if we pick an extension subject for Year 12.

So these are the subjects I'll be doing next year:
Adv. Eng
Ext 1 Maths
Chem
Bio
Geography
Persian
SOR1

I've heard that geography isn't a really heavy subject but idk. Can anyone who has done any of these subjects please tell me how heavy the load of any of these subects is? And if it does turn out to be too many units, what subject do you suggest to me to drop?

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
I would suggest that 14 units is indeed too much although some students achieve it. I'd recommend seeing how you feel this year with the load, and drop your worst subject in regards to enjoyment, ranking and content :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumenoria

HSC
14 units is seriously more than you probably think. I did English Ext and Maths Ext in Year 11, in addition to 12 other units - totalling 14 - and it was ridiculously difficult to keep on top of every subject. I often sacrificed my study time for certain subjects to study on Maths Ext, which was my weakest unit at the time. Fast forward a year, I've dropped Ext maths and biology, leaving me with 11. Even with 11, I'm completely winging mathematics - I have never done a single minute of the subject at home. However, I am naturally quite strong at mathematics and got 95% in my first year 12 assessment without study. I also feel like I'm winging my other naturally stronger subjects such as Multimedia and English Ext, but I am still able to maintain 90+ marks in spite of this. I would suggest trying 14 if you reckon you'll have a natural inclination for some subjects, otherwise stick to 12 or 13. Even with 10 units, assessment periods are stressful as hell and I never feel like I am doing enough to seek out my full potential. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSC
I did 14 units and have mixed feelings.
I wasnt as confident in 2 subjects and just kept them since my results were decent+ had mild interest in them. ATAR wise, in hindsight, I would have been better off dropping one of them.
*shrug* it depends on you

Frostguard

HSC
14 units is a lot for the HSC, I guess since you need a maximum of 12 units for the Preliminary course, it's not recommended but as long as you fulfil the requirements and don't burn out by the Prelim course, you should be right. However for the HSC course, 14 units is extremely stressful and very content heavy and it would be advisable not to do 14 units, considering only 10 units is counted. Unless you genuinely enjoy all of your 14 units, which you probably won't, then please drop something, whether it be 13, 12, 11 or 10 units, it will greatly relieve you of your stress of your extra units

also don't look at my subjects haha im not contradictory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's probably between Bio, Chem, Geo and Persian, see how you perform across these subjects over the year and the moment you begin to dread or dislike to develop feelings of disinterest, it's probably best to drop the subject...

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For year 12 I'd say 14 units is too much for most people.
However, I think it's fine for year 11 and helps you work out which subjects you will perform better or are more interested in.

jjuunnee

HSC
i reckon you should keep the 14 units because you then have more options in deciding which subjects to drop for the HSC. Plus if you don't do too many extracurricular activities or even if you do, if you manage your time well and get on top of all your subjects you'll be sweet

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Best thing to do is just complete the 14 for now, and then as the year starts to come to a close for prelim, start thinking about what you performed the best in and what you want to do in university and then drop some units based off those decisions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)