Is 3 sciences too much (1 Viewer)

asdfqwerty

HSC
Not at all. I know many people that do the three sciences. All of them somehow link to each other and it will benefit you (for example, you will understand radioisotopes and nuclear chem much better if you do physics) etc.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Wouldn't it be similar to doing a combo of 3 other similar difficulty subs. (eg chem, phys and eco ect)

Also less essay writing :p

Aysce

HSC
Well based on what people have said including my mates, you APPARENTLY need to have:
1. Clear and concise essay structure.
2. Be up-to-date with current issues regarding things to do with economics, to use that as support for arguments that you may present.

I don't actually do the subject (since it didn't run :( ), but I think those are the 2 key things. Don't quote me on it though.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I do bio, chem, and physics and I love it!!
Its true that the sciences blend into one another in aspects, which really does boost your understanding and give you an advantage of some students who have trouble wrapping their heads around some of the concepts.
And there is little essay writing and all three are really interesting. Plus you get to do some cool pracs unlike other subjects :D
Of course there is a fair amount of work involved, especially if your school gets you to hand in regular dot point activities from the dot point books, but its definitely not too much work...and physics and chem scale well :)

taneika1

HSC
Hey:) I do biology, chemistry and physics as well, and I love it also! I find that they cross over really well, and it allows me to get a good grip on the harder concepts with the content that crosses over. :) If doing all three, make sure to reguarly update your own detailed notes for each syllabus dot point :)

enoilgam

HSC
why is eco hard guys
Eco is difficult mainly because it contains heaps of content which can be difficult to keep up with. Also, to a lesser extent you need to keep up with current economic data which can go out of date extremely quickly.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Well based on what people have said including my mates, you APPARENTLY need to have:
1. Clear and concise essay structure.
2. Be up-to-date with current issues regarding things to do with economics, to use that as support for arguments that you may present.

I don't actually do the subject (since it didn't run :( ), but I think those are the 2 key things. Don't quote me on it though.
I dunno mate you really only need most of things if you want a solid band 6.

Any sub can be easy/hard i guess. It all depends upon the amount of effort you keep in.

enoilgam

HSC
I dunno mate you really only need most of things if you want a solid band 6.

Any sub can be easy/hard i guess. It all depends upon the amount of effort you keep in.
Very very very good point. If you just want a band 4 in a subject (and you are of average intelligence), then most subjects wouldnt be that difficult.

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you love science, it won't be too much. do it.

Bobbo1

HSC
It is ok but you have to really love all 3 subjects if you wish to do this combination and excel in it. But it will get repetitive and sometimes even boring when you might be stuck in the same science lab for most of the day. Also, studying the same style of questions will get really tedious to study for. Guessing your a maths/science and highly recommend you take a humanities subject, something like modern history, business studies or if you're in it for the scaling economics. It really breaks things up when your studying. After a while maths/science blends together and gets really tiring and your brain will beg for a light reading subject to relax and escape.

delian

HSC
N/A
3 sciences is fine if you like them, and you're looking at doing something science-related in Uni.

Eco is a good subject, I enjoyed seeing how theory related to real life situations.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
I did 3 sciences in yr 11 but dropped physics in year 12 because I didn't like it and wasn't achieving too great either.

Positives:
- Similar exam style and hence study pattern
- Overlapping content
- Considerable scaling potential
- Widens your uni prospects (with pre-requisites etc)

Negatives:
- Difficulty in the theory (not if you study consistently)
- Similar assessments near the same time period (annoying when 2011 HSC had a science a day)
- Need good teachers or tutors.
- Without an interest in science can become very hard
- Lack of balance in education.

What are your positives and negatives?

denny94

HSC
I did 3 sciences in yr 11 but dropped physics in year 12 because I didn't like it and wasn't achieving too great either.

Positives:
- Similar exam style and hence study pattern
- Overlapping content
- Considerable scaling potential
- Widens your uni prospects (with pre-requisites etc)

Negatives:
- Difficulty in the theory (not if you study consistently)
- Similar assessments near the same time period (annoying when 2011 HSC had a science a day)
- Need good teachers or tutors.
- Without an interest in science can become very hard
- Lack of balance in education.

What are your positives and negatives?
That is true Sainteced the theory is fairly difficult if you dont study consistently I still need to revise alot. Also bio is very content heavy and also if you don't have an interest in it it can become very hard your right

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
For me, back in Year 11 - the difficulty of my subjects were:

Modern History>Mathematics Extension 1>Advanced English>Physics>Chemistry

I can't stand Modern History - way too hard to me. I can do Physics/Chemistry easily - no problems at all, just like Year 10 but for Modern, couldn't get a thing to sink in.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
But science like any subject has its specifics that you need to know. For the histories, you need dates, names, places. For physics you'll need to know experiments like Michelson-Morley like the back of your hand. For chem, you need to know specific catalysts for specific reactions. For bio, you'll need to know examples of species for different questions. Taking science is a lot like taking other subjects, only when you do all three, it makes doing science a bit easier.

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
For hsc science:
Pros:
- the logic subjects are a lovely change from the nonsense english courses
- it'll aid in uni studies

Cons:
- Requires a lot of attention
- Requires a good memory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)