Is 4 major works too much?! (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Next year, i am planning on doing 10 units which are:

Drama, Music 2, Visual Art, Advanced English, EE1 & EE2.

Effectively i will have 4-ish major works (as drama and music are pretty much the equivalent with logbooks and evaluations as well as the end result) and i'm starting to think if this is too much? If i can prepare really early i think i will be fine, but it is quite alot of work..!

Also, my year coordinator says he won't let me do 10 units including my extension courses as this was too dangerous and risky towards my UAI. I specified to him that the UAI was not something of great importance to me (i'm interested in pursuing a career in acting) but he still insisted that i either pick up Ancient History or General Maths neither of which i want to do. Is this fair? Is it not ultimately my decision what i do? In the time where i am going to Ancient or Maths classes, couldn't i be using that time to perfect my major works?

AAH, major conflict!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
LOL, I guess if you can manage your time effectively, you'll be fine.

leto91

HSC
N/A
Where I' standing it's five.

Drama has two major works

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yes, I think it will be too much. I have few mates doing 2 major works right now and they are telling me that it's a lot of work. Imagine what 4 major works will be like!!!

But if you are a person who manages time effectively, you will be alright.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
A guy in my grade did 5 major works and was not very organised, he started to lose his mind about 3 weeks ago. Follow everyone elses advice, if your one of those 'leave it to the last minute' people dont do it.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I think i'll be able to manage my time effectively. Well, i hope anyway.
If im doing thing in my subjects which i will be motivated to work on then i think it should be fine.

slinkysezzy

HSC
Dont Listen To Them
This Is A Ridiculous Idea
Stop
Rethink
Imagine How You Will Feel When They Are All Due Within A Month Of Eachother And You Are Doing Your Trials!!!!

This May Sound Harsh, But You May Thank Me One Day.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I've got a friend doing those exact subjects you named.... She regrets not doing pathways because she is completely swamped in work atm..... Way too much 4 major works, but it is possible

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
alex.leon said:
Also, my year coordinator says he won't let me do 10 units including my extension courses as this was too dangerous and risky towards my UAI
Take up an extra 2Units, so u can have freedom if 1 of ur major works doesn't work out. However, if ur able 2 prove u can handle 4 works, I'm sure he'll let u drop after the half-yearly.

Also, if u lay the foundations 4 ur work in the summer holidays, u could b able 2 do it. The hardest thing 4 a major work is getting that 1st draft/idea down on paper... After that, redrafting and replanning gets easier.

MadamGuilia

HSC
seriously DO NOT DO THAT!!!!! Bad idea... I have 2 and a language, not a good idea. I mean it is achievable but the other subjects don't get enough attention.

melonkitten

HSC
MadamGuilia said:
seriously DO NOT DO THAT!!!!! Bad idea... I have 2 and a language, not a good idea. I mean it is achievable but the other subjects don't get enough attention.
maybe cause u are terrible at life..

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
solomarc20 said:
Take up an extra 2Units, so u can have freedom if 1 of ur major works doesn't work out. However, if ur able 2 prove u can handle 4 works, I'm sure he'll let u drop after the half-yearly.

Also, if u lay the foundations 4 ur work in the summer holidays, u could b able 2 do it. The hardest thing 4 a major work is getting that 1st draft/idea down on paper... After that, redrafting and replanning gets easier.
The problem with that is there is literally nothing else offered by my school that i would be happy/interested in doing.
My dean wants me to do Ancient History, but im hating the subject at the moment..
My defence is that, surely i could be using the time that i would be in the extra 2-unit class to do work on my major works..?
And i did stress that the UAI wasnt particular important to me too..

HSC
you need to be really careful, i just had my drama trials, and a girl hadnt slept the previous two nights due to her EE2 MW. also, drama and art are due at the same time.

so if you can keep in mind that you need to put in the work much earlier, you might get it.

HSC
I started out with four.
Extension 2 english, extension history, textiles and art.
I dropped ext 2 a few weeks ago, but I kind of regret it now, because i know i could've done it, but oh well.
I got extension history out of the way pretty quickly, it was due in june.
Textiles was a nightmare, like, didn't sleep for weeks finishing it. It's done now, though.
Art's fine, I got into it and it was fun so that made it easy and enjoyable.

I guess it's a matter of time management, I'm pretty unorganized but I got the three done. Ideally I should've started Ext 2 earlier but it's too late now.

If you're good at time management, I say go for it, but it might be good to have 12 units so you have some backup.
I started out with 13, so dropping one was an option, but if you have 10 you have to keep going with 4 major works, and that can become really stressful.

Good luck!! :)

nat.nat.

HSC
i think that you will be fine so long as you just manage your time. i know you can if your motivated haha

=]

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
That's what I'm doing.

My advice is (which I heard plenty of times but disregarded) Is Yes, it's fine- it's NOT too much work, if you start early.

But if you wont than don't.

Pick non subjective subjects and become another wrote learn clone spouting out answers, not opinions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)